HybridZ

Joey's LS1 swap update pics

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I was getting all excited to see some more pics of the swap.

Hurry up and post the new ones!

Joey, maybe Mike can help you figure out the software for your digital camera.

I am going to rent a hoist today to pull the L28 out of the engine bay.

See pics I took of the engine bay and my car before the swap began on Saturday at the link below.

:-D The car is getting close!! I sent mike 4 e-mails yesterday. What your looking at is the first set(obviuosly). Did you get all 4 Mike? I believe there is a total of 30 or so pictures. Starting from the ones posted here to how the car looks today. I believe he is putting them on a site. I'm using my home computer(the old work one, aol dial up) due to my new Dell w/ dsl got a real bad virus-worm and was eaten alive! Which slows things up(sending the pictures over three tries would take over a hour each time) .

Enough about computers!!!

I will post a long post on detail on how the project is going in the next day or so, when I have more time!! Gotta get to work!!

JOEY

P.S. THANKS MAS280

I'm using my home computer(the old work one, aol dial up) due to my new Dell w/ dsl got a real bad virus-worm and was eaten alive! Which slows things up(sending the pictures over three tries would take over a hour each time).

Sounds like you got the recently released sasser worm virus. Download this and save it to the desktop (click the first link, the one that says: Download Stinger.exe), and then transfer the program to a floppy. Put the floppy in the Dell and copy the program from the floppy to the Dell's desktop and then run it. Tell it to scan and it should eliminate the virii; for a more thorough search, in the program, go to prefrences and tell it to search boot sectors as well. After that, make sure to run Windows Update to see if there are any upgrades. Hope this helps as I love to see more progress on your car!

:D I guess my many e-mails got to Mas280. Thanks Mike!!! Those of you just starting on this post. Please go to LS1 MOTOR MOUNT OPTIONS and come to here!!

To answer a couple of questions?? The headers (which should come tommorow) are custom made by SANDERSON. Same as MAS280 AND KHASHABI1. Boyd at Sanderson is getting it down. The 3rd set he has made for the LS1 Z. Larger than John's I believe 1 5/8 tubes. Cost?? 860.00 coated! The aluminum tube on the drivers side is the intake, missing a couple of pieces to be delievered by Mike Knell next week. The set up is going from I believe 4.5 or 4 at the throttle body to 3 or 3.5 at the M.A.F. and wraping around the front to a 9 inch K&N filter. The tube fits perfect through the hole. All available from J.T.R.

The car is getting close and I'm excited. Whats left???? I finally got my harness back from Dynatec (3 month's later). And Just like Mas280 said if ... you get it back they do nice work. True the harness came back with a "black box" The box bypasses VATS, has relays for the starter, A/C, high and low speed fans and gauge hook ups. W/ EXCELIENT instructions! Quite impressed. I'll get to the mistakes I've made in my next post. Still gotta work on a rad fan. Mas280 gave great advise on the shifter. Camaro shifter mounted in the tunnell. On top,the consul won't fit. Still working on a throttle cable. Tried a 94 integra cable and it's about a inch short.

As for this week end....... Get the shifter done. and work on the fuel lines. Going with a aftermarket regulator, John's pump and an in line filter. Will post mod's to the motor in my next post! As for exhaust I'm thinking of going duels with small glass packs(like mas) to a single muffler at the back(unlike mas, he has 2, i don't wanna cut the body). Anyways Gotta go be a star in Softball!!!

JOEY - A.K.A. LS1 Z

OH!!! ALMOST FORGOT A QUOTE!! "COMPAIRING A LT1 TO A LS1 IS LIKE COMPAIRING 6 CYLINDER TO A 8 CYLINDER" MIKE KNELL.........

• 2 weeks later...
True the harness came back with a "black box" The box bypasses VATS, has relays for the starter, A/C, high and low speed fans and gauge hook ups.

Joey,

Is the "Black box" separate from the ECU? Did the ECU still need to be reprogramed or does the "black box" eliminate the need? Does Dynatec have a website?

I'm still deciding which way to go with the harness. :?

Thanks. Tom

The black box is wired into the harness close to where the ecu plugs in. The ecu will still need to be reprogrammed. I'm using LS1 EDIT. The harness made my life alot easier. The manual is fantastic, the quaility is first rate. All of my lost questions and some I didn't even think of are in the "black box". Relays, wiring, vats all in there. The huge down fall is.... I had zero :cry: comunication with DYNATEC!!!! They had my whole harness and ecu for 3.5 months. No returned phone calls! Nothing!! Soooo long I thought it was lost forever. I purchased another complete harness off E-bay to do it myself. And.... When they did send my harness back, they didn't return my ECU!!! Luckly I scored an ECU W/ LS1 EDIT program off E-bay. I'm not soo sure I would recommend them at this point untill they get there sh*% together. If Oscar is cought up give them a shot. phone 562-945-5300, E-mail milj@juno.com or http://www.autogoodies.com/dynatech.

As for the LS1 Z project getting close.... Will write more about the car very soon, gotta open the shop!!!

JOEY

Oscar built a harness for me and I am not pleased with it. I think I was one of his first customers back about a year and a half ago. The wiring inside the black box is a mess. The fuses are enclosed in the box, and the relays are missing the covers and are also in the box. I have another harness and am just going to try and make my own. I have the service manuals to double check my work and will try to document the cable, relays, and fuses for my instalation as I go. I have traced out what Oscar did and the connections look to be correct, but I dont trust it.

Dale

Yea, I know. When I got my harness he was breadboarding and wiring it all together. I'm sure it would work, but I want my fuses and relays outside the box. Especially the PCM fuse. You will need to be able to remove it to clear the computer every once in a while. If it's in the box your stuck disconnecting the battery.

Dale

• 2 weeks later...
:cry: IT KILL'S ME I'VE BEEN TYPING FOR THE LAST 2 HOURS. FOR MY POST ON MY PROJECT AND TO HIT SUBMIT. AND FOR IT TO GET LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LS1 Z

After having that happen to me once on another board whenever I have a longer post I started doing all mine in "Word" first then cut and paste into the "post a reply". That way I can spell check and check the grammer and not wory about time outs.

O.K. I'll try this again, Dalemx had a good point but.. not sure how to go. Anyways.. The ls1 z project is almost done. What's left... The engine is wired just gotta wire to the car. I went with an Edelbrock fuel pressure regulator mounted where my washer bottle was(thanks mas) and my fuel lines are still being made up by my local machine shop. John's pump in line filter and lines ran back to the tank. Exhaust,similiar to MAS280'S and KHASHABI1 to be done at the same muffler shop. I'm thinking about duals all the way out to a single large muffler.(don't wanna cut the body).

Spent last sunday(the one before memorial day) with Mike Knell working on the Z. He brought by the rest of my cold air intake and a throttle cable. Mike is great for his knowledge, comments and opinions. Right on Mike you rock :2thumbs: Mike did have a name my project and I believe it was either "The cream of the crop" or "The Princess of the Night" or i forgot and will let you know. Kinda goes with Qwik240 and Savage and there Silver bullet projects. My car has been built with silver bullets!!

Anyway's The Mistakes and Mod's I have made.. Worst first-- all $$$

In the beginning I was gonna go smog legal,bought a smog pump. tossed that due to evap.

Second camaro fans(will work with datsun rad not with jtr set up) and third complete ls1 wiring harness(was positive Dynatech was not gonna come through)

Smog pump 50.00

Camaro fans 135.00

Harness 200.00

Mods to the motor!!!!!!!

LS6 INTAKE ebay 350.00

Header's Sanderson 860.00

LS1 edit and ecu ebay 450.00

SLP underdrive ebay 175.00

77 m.m. ported t.b. ebay 150.00

Nismo posi Motorsports 650.00

Harness Dynatech 400.00

Fuel pressure reg local 75.00

K&N 9 inch filter local 50.00

Fuel lines local ???????

Slp 160 thermostat local ??????

Cold air in take JTR(Mike Knell) compliments.

Camaro shifter ebay 45.00

Taurus 3.8l 2 speed fan local 25.00

Adds up quick!!!!!!!!

Wil take new pictures tommorrow and post(thanks mas)!!!!

JOEY

P.S. I'm tired of pushing the car in and out of the shop every day!!!! The beast is abou to be unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey I have used 2 Slp 160 thermostat and my car will run hot with them. So I gave up on them. I put in the new cam in the LS1 last night, and I took it to the dyno today. 405RWHP

I think that you are going to want a cam for that car soon.

Mike