HybridZ

Cost of Port & Polishing of LT1 Heads and Intake?

Can you guys give me a rough estimate of how much it will cost to have the following done to my LT1 parts......

1.) Basic Port and Polish of heads and intake.

2.) Bigger valves installed and 3 or 5 angle valve job.

Basically I want the top of my motor "built up a little."

Thanks alot guys! :D

A reasonable bid would be $1500. As usual, results may vary. I think the guy I got my CNC LT1 heads from spent $1700 just on the heads. Intake and larger valves will add to that. Shop around. MTI in Houston is very reputable and the owner is a good friend of a friend.

I talked to a guy a couple years ago who was setting up a machine shop. He had two engine dyno`s and one chassis dyno, as well as a flow bench. At the time he quoted me 550.00 to flow bench a set of sbc Dart heads.

I hope the offer still stands. With the prices you guys are quoting, I would be more inclined to build my own flow bench and do it myself.

Be CAREFULL who you pick. There are many people who lie about flow numbers, perform bad work (leaking heads nuking engines), etc

Check and double check and tripple check references, I got awesome work done for a good price, but have seen some bad things lately as well, including people losing brand new 383s from leaking heads, and had some nasty looking portwork (winglet design from playschool, etc).

Call Denny @ motor machine 520-732-1156. Ask him if Carl Shintilly is still doing headwork. He got 203 cfm out of a set af alum. vette heads for me for about $400.00.

good luck

luigi

P.S. what's a playschool winglet?

Guest JAMIE T

I ported my own LT1 heads. Mike or Pete could chime in on the quality of the work. I would not do it for less than a grand. I have over 40hrs in my heads. I wouldn't worry too much about porting the intake. Very minimal gains are made by doing that. Also, unless you are putting in a big cam, I wouldn't bother with bigger valves. I didn't get my heads flowed. I have a LT4 HOT cam kit and Hooker LT headers on my Z28, and a BBK 52mm TB. I made 345rwhp with a slipping clutch. That's about 100hp more than stock RWHP. It is about 400 flywheel HP.

I'm gonna be doing Mike Kelly's Dart Alum. heads soon also.

look this over

http://www.malcams.com/legacy/misc/headflow.htm

really guys in this case having a pro like JEFF @

http://www.ondoperformance.com/

do the work for what he will charge is the best idea here, he can do anything from a mild bowl cleanup to a full race flow port job, your taking a big chance on ruining the heads if your doing the work with out the correct tools and experiance if you try to do more than a minor port cleanup yourself

The LT1 intake doesn't need much work, if you open up the front you can use a larger TB (~$275+), and you can raise the runner a little to match your heads if you get them ported. The LT4 heads are about 2mm taller IIRC, so sometimes people raise the runner of the LT1 intake a tad to match their heads, which end up with a raised runner about the same as LT4 stock.

This is the largest reason as to why there isn't much of an LT1 intake in the aftermarket, other than $2000+ fabbed aluminum (Hogans) intakes, or carbed setups.

Too big on the valves will kill low lift flow (bad), so likewise I agree on stock sized or not much larger valves. I went with 2.0"/1.56", instead of 2.02"/1.6"

Guest Anonymous

thanks grump smile.gif

these heads will flow a suprising amount of air with the correct prep. valve angles are critical for low numbers also. all in all they clean up quite nicely.