HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Update #34, 7,000 miles

As the header states, I now have over 7,000 miles on the car since the conversion. Throughout the time the drivetrain has been bullet-proof. Previous updates have documented little problems that have all been easily corrected. Things I have noted:

The drivetrain sets up a harmonic in the 280Z chassis at about 2,500 rpm. It rattles the car pretty good and is iritating. I guess the answer is to get it above 3,000 fast and keep it there :twisted:

The electric speedometer drive randomly gets erratic. It will suddenly start fluctuating between 0 and whatever speed I'm driving. If I ignore it it will go away in a few minutes. :idea:

The old 280Z body has allowed the rear suspension to get out of alignment, toe and camber. Of course neither is adjustable so the tires tend to wear on the inside. Answer there is to take all corners at higher speeds. :D

It's starting to heat up so I've used the AC a couple times. It looks like it will be good to 90°F for sure but I don't know how well it will hang on above that temp. Guess we'll see. :shock:

The cooling system (radiator & fans) have been great. The system has maintained a solid 180°F since day 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeromio,

I don't think that it's a driveshaft issue. This vibration occurs in all gears around 2,500 rpm. It is an engine speed realted issue, not a drivetrain speed related issue. I'll get into it sometime in the next few weeks.

.., I don't think that it's a driveshaft issue. This vibration occurs in all gears around 2,500 rpm. It is an engine speed realted issue, not a drivetrain speed related issue. I'll get into it sometime in the next few weeks.

Phantom,

What do you mean, "It is a Speed Related Issue?" Are you referring to the Tires or Suspension/Steering or possibly U-Joints?

Speed Related: is that not what drivetrain misalignments are? It's been my experience as speed increases the frequency harmonics also increase up to a certain point: beyond that rpm point the vibration will go away.

Just curious as to what you call a speed issue...anytime I hear or read of a new symtom description I always like to know what people are talking about: it helps me learn from other peoples experiences.

Good to know you have 7k on the engine w/o problems..., keep-on keepn-on.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

The vibration occurrs around 2500 rpm on the engine -in first gear, in second gear, in third gear, etc. It does not occur at a particular automobile speed which would be driveline related or possibly wheel balance, alignment, etc. It does not occur under light load but under moderate load and higher. It is not present below 2,000 RPM and it does not appear to be present above about 4,000 rpm - in each gear - whatever speed I may be going down the road.

I know that on the Vette you can't just swap a clutch disc out, that you have to replace the WHOLE assembly including the flywheel due to funky harmonics. This may be true with the Fbody as well...

Good thing you caught it before Launch sequence! :D

Mike

My engine was originally from a 4L60E equipped car so the whole clutch & flywheel assembly is new. John will get a chance to look at it sometime next week and will probably be able to identify the source. It didn't have it when the conversion was initially completed so something has changed.

.., so something has changed..,

The metamophisis has begun: the speed demon from within is on the rise. :shock:

Thanks for clearifying your car's symtom. Are you using the factory harmonic balancer? Your engine was a swap from the donor to the recipient and not a performance build from ground up correct? I bet ya it simply needs the rotating assembly balanced.

Good luck and I Hope you figure it out. I also hope to make to Ennis this year to meet you and a few of the other HybridZ members.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

• 4 weeks later...

OK - the buzz has been located - plus a bit. I took the car to JCI and found where the hand brake mechanism was rubbing against the torque tube assembly between the transmission and the differential. Working on a solution for that. Yesterday I had a new exhasut system installed. It has a full 'X' pipe with dual 2 1/2" pipes to the back to a magnaflow muffler with 3" out. While doing the work the exhaust guy discovered that the exhaust was loose on the passenger side where it bolted to the header. He could move it back and forth about 1/2" but, surprisingly, there was no signs of exhaust leakage. Go figure. Anyway -the buzz is now gone and I have what has to be one of the sweetest sounding LS1's on the planet. :2thumbs:

OK - the buzz has been located - plus a bit. I took the car to JCI and found where the hand brake mechanism was rubbing against the torque tube assembly between the transmission and the differential. Working on a solution for that. Yesterday I had a new exhasut system installed. It has a full 'X' pipe with dual 2 1/2" pipes to the back to a magnaflow muffler with 3" out. While doing the work the exhaust guy discovered that the exhaust was loose on the passenger side where it bolted to the header. He could move it back and forth about 1/2" but, surprisingly, there was no signs of exhaust leakage. Go figure. Anyway -the buzz is now gone and I have what has to be one of the sweetest sounding LS1's on the planet. :2thumbs:

The new system sounds great. Lets see some pics!