HybridZ

PLEASE HELP ME KEEP MY CAR! (struts)

Well, when I bought my car, it was in dire need of a steering rack and struts, so I bought the parts and because the struts are a bit out of my range to install, I took it to my local trusted mechanic to work on. I got it back today with the front struts installed and the rears in the hatch, he said that he couldn't put them in, and his friend at another shop who does heavier duty work said he wouldn't do it,(over the phone, didnt see the car) because he is afraid that he would break a rusted part and not be able to get another. Now I know that the main part that might break in the process would be the strut assembly and or gland nut, but my parents (who oversee the finances at this point) are ready for me to dump the car on ebay. They haven't really liked it from the beginning, and it does have other niggling problems such as a bad wiper assembly and no horn. They don't really think it is safe (true to an extent) and want me to get something newer, but the fact is, for the 3-4 grand I might possibly get for my Z in the northeast, there isn't much I could buy. I mean I would like to have something that i wouldnt see next to me at every stoplight, and I would like something moderately fast.

So basically, I am asking you for advise on how to attack the rear struts of the car, or, better yet, if anyone is in the north Jersey/NY/PA area and would like to help me get my car to a somewhat presentable state that would be amazing. Thanks for listening to the plight of a silly teenager.

Zero,

Rear struts are really not that difficult to replace assuming that you have some basic tools and skills.

First, my guess is that the mechanic tried to remove the rear strut assembly by removing the spindle pin (never an easy task). It is far easier to remove the rear strut by removing the rear control arm along with the strut assembly. Here is a web page that does a pretty good job of explaining the task.

http://www.biopatent.com/rearstruts.html

If you are going to own a car like this, you are going to have to learn to work on it. Otherwise, the mechanic's bills will cost you more than owning a much newer car. These are great cars to learn on. [/url]

Guest 305240

Man, if you lived on the west coast, I'd have given you the parts you need. I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of parts before I call the JY.

zero,

if it comes down to it i have four spare gland nuts (brand new) and perfectlly working wiper motor that you can have just pay s&h. as for taking struts off yes it is much easier to take the whole control arm with it. i have done my suspension so many times that i can take everything off including pulling strut out in less than 20min. :roll: .

Ivan

well, the article 5.0 Z posted convinced my dad that we could do the work ourselves, which is good. Thanks to everyone for their help. Thanks for the offer Ivan, but as far as I know the problem with the wipers is a loose connection in the linkage, allowing only one wiper to work properly. I will get back to you on the gland nuts, as I dont know if I will destroy them in the process, hehe. Thanks again

Will

I was just looking at that article. You really don't need to take everything out. You can disconnect the brake lines, take the 3 nuts off inside the car, disconnect the sway bar if you have one, and then just pull the suspension down so that it leans out from under the car. That would save you a bunch of time. You can use your spring compressor right there with the strut hanging out of the side of the car. Not sure if you would need to disconnect the halfshafts or not. Probably not.

Thanks alot guys. I guess I am a good negotiator because my father went from wanting to sell my car, to looking for a set of pneumatic tools and a compressor so we can do really serious work. I believe we will be tackling the struts as soon as we get ahold of that stuff. In other news, I fixed my wiper linkage with a quick touch up with my welder, and fixed my horn. Thanks again.

Jmortenson, do you think one would be able to remove a frozen gland nut/strut cart from that position?

Thanks alot guys. I guess I am a good negotiator because my father went from wanting to sell my car, to looking for a set of pneumatic tools and a compressor so we can do really serious work. I believe we will be tackling the struts as soon as we get ahold of that stuff. In other news, I fixed my wiper linkage with a quick touch up with my welder, and fixed my horn. Thanks again.

I'd sure as hell give it a try before I took the whole thing out. One thing you can do is to take the spring off and then put the hat back on and bolt it back up into the chassis. Now the gland nut is easily accessible and the suspension is held nicely so you can attack it from a fairly comfortable position, and you have the benefit of not having to worry about scratching the strut shaft (DON'T SCRATCH OR NICK THE STRUTS WHEN YOU'RE TIGHTENING THEM UP ON THE NEW STRUTS!!!). I just went out and bought a 16" pair channel locks to get one of mine off, and it worked great. Much more leverage than my smaller 10" channel locks.

Zero' date='

If you are going to own a car like this, you are going to have to learn to work on it. Otherwise, the mechanic's bills will cost you more than owning a much newer car. These are great cars to learn on. [/url']

Man. Truer words have never been spoken!

Have to echo what jmortensen is telling you. Some times you can get to the struts by just disconnecting enough stuff to drop the top of the entire strut assembly. Whatever you do don't try to disconnect the control arm from the strut assembly (i.e. the spindle pin).

Also be advised that some people have a near impossible time getting the strut cartridges out of the tubes. Once you have the gland nut off, be prepared to allow it to sit for a few days soaking in penetrating oil (if needed). If this happens, read some old posts of post another topic asking for advice.

Also for the gland nut, Matco use to sell what I call Ford wrenches. An F shaped adjustable wrench (looks like a pipe wrench, but for nuts and bolts). Probably one of the most useful tools I own since it opens up to something like 3 or 4 inches. Or just hit a tool rental place and rent a 3 foot cresent wrench.

And like said before, once you pull the suspension once, the second time will probably take 20 to 30 minutes.

Yeah, my original intention of getting this car was for it to be a car that I can work on and that will evolve with me. I have been doing a fair amount of work on it, but my dad didn't want me taking the struts out for some reason. As soon as I get some proper tools I will begin. Thanks alot.

Guest JAMIE T

I use 2 long Ridged "Pipe" wrenches to remove the gland nuts. I use them to rotate against each other. One on the tube to brace and the other on the nut turning the opposite way. Lots of penetrating fliud. PB BLASTER!!! One time I had a stuck cartridge like others have mentioned. I used a good pair of Vice grips(PLEASE, ONLY USE VISE-GRIP BRAND, all other SUCK!!!). I clamped them to the shaft and hit them with a big hammer to drive it out. Again using lots of PB Blaster. They always go back together like butter.

OH!! Be careful of the goo that people put in the tube to keep the strut from freezing? I've pulled apart quite a few sets and the last set had antifreeze in the tube, and the set before that had heavy oil. I guess it all depends on what was near by when they went back together. I just sprayed alot of WD-40 in mine when they went back together.

Be sure to put some oil in the strut tube before you drop in the new strut as well. It won't make any immediate difference, but years down the road when you have to change the struts again, the old ones will just slide right out. Wear safety glasses when you put the new struts in with the oil in the tubes too, the displaced oil has a tendancy to squirt out the top.

Mike

thanks alot guys, I will be starting this as soon as the pnuematic tools and compressor my dad and I ordered on ebay get here. My dad decided that if we are going to do serious work on this or other cars, then we should do it right. I will let you guys know how it goes.