HybridZ

Can you say Price Increase!

I had been looking at these oil pans and viewed MSA site today and :shock:, price is now $524.95.

Theses were $400.00 last I looked.

large178065.jpg

I know Malvern Racing also sells (or sold) these same pans, but their site seems to be dead.

just venting.

I've bought parts from him on several occasions, and never had any problems whatsoever getting them. He was a real jerk to me once when I was looking for a braking system, I don't like his header at all (same as MSA), and every machinist who has seen my flywheel from him has said "Wow, that's thin. Do you have a scattershield?"

But as I said, never had any problems actually getting stuff from him. I like the pan, but it is heavy. If I had to choose between his pan at $545 or the Nissan Comp at $700, I'd save my pennies. At $345, it's a no brainer.

I know Dave at AZ Z car as he is local and have dealt with him for at least 15 years. I also know someone that has recently installed several of his brake, intake, oil pan, cam etc. His mechanical parts seem up to the quality that people expect.

Just to throw it out there, what do you guys think a drysump setup would go for? It looks like you can still buy the pan from ARE. Anyone know of a supplier for the pump? I imagine this would have to be custom.

1120a1.jpg

Didn't want to rub it in, but I already have the Nissan Comp pan. I bought it used for a price I'd rather not disclose, but still considerably cheaper than what they were at the time, which was around $600. I feel it is much better than the cast one because it has crank scrapers and a larger capacitly. But on the other hand it takes about 12 quarts combined with dual filters and the oil cooler! This doesn't include an additiona 2 for the preoiler either. :shock:

BTW, I had to cut and patch the back corner of the pan to make clearance for the Nissan Comp header. That really steamed me up, you'd think two products sold by the same company would work together! :cuss:

Ron, you say a dry sump will give you a marginal HP increase, but I'd still like to get one some day. From the reading I've done, they say you'll still get about 10-15 hp over a wet sump. What exaclty is "a bundle", $2000?

Also, just out of curiousity, where's DP Racing, and do they just sell a Nissan pan?

Phil

Whats the deal with these MSA cast oil pans? Is it just looks like a cool looking part that nobody sees unless you count what looks like that baffle? It would seem that you could fab something up from a stock oil pan in two shakes that would be a little more functional (like with a kick out for more capacity, dry sump bungs, etc).

Underneath the windage tray are 4 trap doors mounted in a diamond shape cast into the aluminum. I had a friend who tried to fab one up. He spent several days on it, it wasn't nearly as good as the aluminum one I bought from AZC (same as the MSA one), and he ended up buying one from Don Oldenburg (Nissan Comp pan). The aluminum pan has quite a few bungs it for turbo oil return, temp gauge, etc.

The Nissan Comp pan is definitely the best way to go, if you can afford it. Last time I checked they wanted $700, and Don wouldn't sell to me direct, he's got a deal with Nissan that people have to order it through them.

http://www.arizonazcar.com/pan.html

The Nissan Comp pan is definitely the best way to go, if you can afford it. Last time I checked they wanted $700, and Don wouldn't sell to me direct, he's got a deal with Nissan that people have to order it through them."

I see where you are coming from. I'm one of the "why buy it if you can make it" and "if buying the right tools for the job costs the same as paying somebody else to screw it up, buy the tools" types. What I can afford and what I want to pay for are usually two different things.

DP Racing is in Long Beach CA, Don Oldenberg, owner of DP Racing, builds the pans that Nissan Comp sells for $700 bucks.

You can contact Les Cannaday 760-505-9246 and order from him since Don can be very difficult to reach, and generally does not sell direct (he will refer you to Nissan). I think you will find that Les's pricing is VERY good.

Much better than Nissan...

R

Phil,

Keep in mind that Nissan does not make all it's own racing parts so, there will be issues with headers made by one company for Nissan and a comp pan made by another company for Nissan that wont work together...

As I mentioned before, Don builds the pans for Nissan Comp.

As for cost, I have a friend that has a dry sump set up on his Z car, I can't give you an exact cost of the parts to put together that system but I know he spent close to 1K on AN lines and fittings alone..I would suspect to buy all of the equipment (NEW) necessary we are looking at $3500 to $4K...

For 15 HP that is a LOT of $$$. I would look a few other places to pick up HP before considering that option.

I spoke with CV Products in Thomasville, NC yesterday. (1-800-448 1223 Carl Bennett) He estimated the cost of a dry sump system to be between $1500/$2000 depending on which parts you choose. Investment could be small compaired to frying a good motor due to oil starvation...mayolives

Has anyone used the AZC oil pan on a L28et 240z? If so, were there any problems encountered (clearance, etc.)? Thanks.

No real major problems. The allen head bolts that dave supplys with the pan are all the same length so you will need to shorten a few of them for the front and rear of the block. I also had to enlarge the hole for the dip stick. Over all very nice pan. Also I have been dealing with Dave @ Arizona Z-car for years. Can be tough to talk to if you ask dumb ? but If you think before you ask he is a wealth of knowledge. Also you must use allen head bolt's . Nissans how to modify L4/L6 talks about the fact that aluminum pans are so stiff that they prevent the block from shifting and can snap regular bolts.