HybridZ

500+ Horsepower with L28

Cable

Taken from another topic, didn't wanna rain on anyone's BBQ by posting this on that topic.

Man that is gonna be just scary.... I think an RB might be in my future. :D

Don't count out the L series I-6 for making power and knocking down those times.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sss510six/album?.dir=/Unfiled+Photos&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sss510six/my_photos

This is my buddy Gary's 510.

-L28 stroked to 3.0 litre

-Forged pistons

-Stock rods

-Stock Diesel Crank

-Stock studded block

-Unported N47 Head

-Stock N47 Intake

-T-76?? Turbo

-MegaSquirt EFI ECM

-Liquid to Air Intercooler

-200 fogger shot nitrous

-T-56 6-speed tranny

-R-200 rear end w/4.10 gears

Runs on pump gas with the turbo only, C16 when spraying the nitrous.

535HP/469TQ Runs the quarter in 10.9 seconds @ 127mph (traction limited) Still AutoX's the car on weekends. Best of both worlds.

Just goes to show how far the 'old school' motors can take you. Thought I'd share that with you guys who are wanting to stick with L-series power.

Guest ON3GO

isnt that 510 SSS's car from this site... and isnt those numbers with nitrous, and a fairly large shot if i remember.

im pretty sure im right on this.

but on L motors... i WILL be hitting 550rwhp+ in my green one sooner or later. i just want to see what stock internals will do 1st.. then its crazy build up time..

Mike

My plan was to build a 510 that would have decent streetable HP on boost and run low 11`s high 10`s on the NOS.With 275whp and 315fpt in a 2500lb car it ran a 12.6@106 and it easily puts the hurt on most high -po cars with that power level.Turning on the nitrous on the street isn`t really practical in my car unless you plan on doing some hyper legal speeds on the freeway, or humiliating a Z06.(it`s great fun, trust me) :-D

Guest zline
With 275whp and 315fpt in a 2500lb car it ran a 12.6@106

Those are some seriously respectable numbers in my books!

agreed.

but why not make it easy on yourself? 500hp is a possibility on L series engines but at what costs? big nitrous, fear of blowing it up, just a pile of headaches imho..

Drax I agree with you that L is respectable but RB is just more bang for the buck in teh sense that you pay more(a bit) but get more in the end...personally I am planning on a RB25DE with ITB, 440cc injectors, MegaSquirt'N'Spark, 11:1 compression,272 camshafts step 2, GT-R valve springs, and a custom exhaust system with some mild portwork done to the head...I plan to put down upwards of 280whp with it on 100 octane daily driven (30% xyelene 70% 91 octane)

To be able to put down that much power on a N/A L series engine, the work required would only be able to be done by few shops at high cost, i'm building everything at home save the manifolds spending a little less and getting a lot more.

Eventually I'll find a way to get a RB30E block and up the displacement 500cc

Guest zline

yeah mike

i decided that there are enough replacement panels out there to save me from what i hate most (rust repair)

so i'm just going to go ahead and look for a 240/early 260 to play with...seeing as how floors are 230 bucks, FRP hatch, hood, fenders are all on the market, i've made some new contacts in JP and some other stuff

the time is right to go back to them, i told you, once the time is right, i'll get another one. and righ tnow the time seems to be right.

i'm ringing AU off the hook to see if i can source a RB30E block, doesnt look like its going to happen though

Guest zline

THanks buddy!

i've got shipping covered i believe through a contact of mine stateside believe it or not!! haha

we'll see i'll let you know, thanks for the offer.

I ran 500hp at the flywheel with a TO4E and no NOS. hp @ wheel 413hp torque 475 foot pounds. Is that enough for you?

I also have installed a new turbo and ran the car up to 27 psi of boost, much more power then 23 psi of boost. :D

Jeff, I don't think anyone said it can't be done... I still think that 500rwhp is cheaper out of an RB than a L-series though. ;)

I was singled out at the start of this thread, so I felt I needed to reply. I have a pretty healthy concept of what the L-series is capable of, following tim's, james, scottie, scotty, doug, donna, and even jeff's builds over the years on zcar.com (before there was a hybridz) and here... I'm not sure I need a lecture on what the L-series is capable of. :D

I know of 2? maybe 3 L-series engines (other than the electomotive engines) producing over 500rwhp... How many RB's are out there doing it?

Not trying to say the RB is better... well, maybe I am. But I am running an L-series turbo in my own car now for a reason! ;)

I still think that 500rwhp is cheaper out of an RB than a L-series though.

playing devil's advocate, I'm not even sure if that's correct. The l28et costs nothing if your car came with it or can be purchased for a few hundred dollars. COmpare that to $2500-3500 for an rb. then off course there is the cost of mounting it, either many many dollars to have it done or many many hours of costum fab, which if you were to pay yourself $2.00 an hour would amount to a whole lot. Would it cost more than $4000 to rebuild a l28 with forged pistons, LD 28 crank, cams and some porting?. Remember, all the other expensive stuff such as large turbo, intercooler, fuel pump, CV joints, LSD, brakes, fuel injectors, clutch, suspension... would have to be done with either engine, which either way, amounts to more money that I care to admit (at least to my wife).

Again, I think the RB is a much better engine and would love to have one, but I agree with others in that many people make more out of it that there is and that on a practical level, the l28 can get you more performance than most of the Z chasis and more performance than the actuall driving skill that most have (despite everyone thinking that the limitation in performance they face is the car as opposed to themselves) . Yes, ithe RB can make 500-600hp reliably (the 700-1000hp ones blow all the time. They have to be amazingly well maintained and if as much as a vacuum hose comes off affecting timing or fuel, the engine blows, so I don't count those).

I would say that for up to around 450 hp, the l28 is cheaper and much much more practical. If you need 600 hp, then put in a RB (and let me test drive it :wink: ). Come to think about it, Drax said for 500 RWHP, so then what am I babling about? Maybe I'm just trying to convicnce myself that I don't want a RB26 in my toy as opposed to not having the time or money to drop one in :cry: Oh well, time for lunch.

I don't know Yasin, those sound like fighting words. I may just have to dog your car and teach you a lesson boy 8)

So getting back to the post topic, do I steal JeffP's l28et or Stony's RB26 (I wonder if any of them park on the street?).

Oh I just got my Z sport mag, congratulations on getting your car immortalized buddy :cheers: I guess you need to get your engine to 500RWP for a follow up article.

Guest 280dragger

the 510 is nice! i would say the motor is kinda soft! he has a t-76 turbo and it only makes 200 someodd horepower with the turbo. i made 210 out of my n/a motr. my buddy made 440bhp out of a 3.1 with just a 60-1e without an IC with a 4 barrel carb! of course he had forged pistons and ALM rods! i beleive oyou could run 600 to 700 bhp without nos turbo charged on a fully built race l-28 motor. i have even herd of 800 to 900 from guys in japan! remember they have been doing it serious much longer than us.

Why is there no IC? Have you seen the engine bay of a 510? How about with an inline 6 in it? NO ROOM! ;) Even the VG30 Turbo swap we're doing here required some fancy metalwrok to get a reasonable IC installed without modifying the cars appearance, and it's a lot shorter than the L6!