HybridZ

Anybody running Falken Azenis tires?

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

I am getting some Falken azenis tires for my blue Z for street driving and local auto-x's and backroads here in houston.

i was wondering if anybody is running these tires, the sizes are 205-50-15 for all 4. should be plenty for my Z even with the 200+rwhp L28ET going in.

so if ppl have them on here how ya like them? i know there sticky, but how sticky? any info would be awesome.

thanks

Mike

my dad had those on his old 78 2+2. They are very very sticky even though they are the 14's and they last long enough (needs to be replaced every year though). At the autox's all of the serious cars that arent running slicks run azenis's. BTW you would have to be a madman to drive with them in anything but a light rain... :shock: if you hit standing they'll hydroplane like a mutha

I wouod think you would need a 55 or 60 sidewall to make those tires look right, but im not sure if they make them in that size. Anyhow im running 225/50/r16s on my car. <-- not falkens just giving you a heads up on the size.

Lemme know how the falkens do when you get them, i was wanting to purchase a set when im done with my dunlops.

-Austin

Guest 81na ZX

They are the closest you can get to R compounds with out getting R compounds.

Striaght line traction isn't the best (there are other non-DR's with better).

Wet traction is awful.

Guest Z-fried

I run the 205/50R15 Azenis on my autocross STS car. Excellent tire, plenty of sidewall, usually make it through about 2/3 a season before getting a new set, and that's with a two driver car. Good price too.

You might also look at the Kuhmo Ecsta MX. Kuhmo's run better in the heat. Falken's run better when the are cooler. We hose the Falken's down with water from pump sprayer in between runs.

Guest ON3GO

Len thats why i want these. im setting up this blue Z for drifting for the hell of it.

thing is i dunno which falken tire is the better drifting tire. they just came out with one but i cant think of it..

Mike

Nothing competes with Azenis for the price :-D Kumho Ecsta MX's are about as close as you'll get, and most people I know are of the opinion that they're overall a better tire...that's why they cost a little more. The other Falken tire you are probably thinking of is the Ziex 512. They're also very cheap, I have the H-rated 205/60/15's on my car and they're decent, kinda floppy sidewalls though compared to Azenis. I'd imagine the V or Z-rated sidewall models are better in this respect. The compound also isn't as sticky as the Azenis, etc. but it also has a treadwear over 400, vs. 200 for the Azenis. I think the 512's are a great street tire and I've been autocrossing on them too cause I can't afford race tires for a while. They're supposed to be good drift tires too, but I can't afford to use them for that...killed my old Falken 502's that way though, and they worked well :lol: a lot better than "Temperature: B" used tires anyway.

[edit] Oh, forgot some other tires....Kumho MX's are probably the closest, then Yokohama AVS ES-100's are available in a lot of sizes for reasonable prices; they are probably even with, or better than, the Ziex 512's. The Ziex would be a cheap place to start though, with plenty of sizes available. If you don't like 'em, burn them off :-D if you can afford to. Don't forget the Kumho Ecsta 711's and 712's (even 732's, I think, are better than normal passenger tires), they're also decent tires for the price. TireRack carries the Kumho's and Yoko's but not Falken. You can find them at http://www.vulcantire.com or http://www.onlinetires.com or discount tire's website.

And as they wear they get very loud.

I can definitely attest to that. Mine are about 75 % worn right now on the neon, and they made the trip from LA very not quiet :)

otherwise, stickiest cheapest tire you can get without getting into race tire territory. I squeezed about 15-17k out of mine

Just as everyone said they are the best non race tire there is for corners. I hear that they are pretty heavy though. Most people say that the weight is well worth it though so go for it. Oh and for drifting nothing beats Falkens and Advans...so I hear anyway.