HybridZ

Four lug to five lug adapters

Guest Paul Johnson

Guest Paul Johnson

I seen a 1972 240z today on the autotrader and it was a V8 car, the thing that caught my eye was the wheels. They were American Racing Torqe Thrust. My question is, I know they make wheel adpaters for zcars from four lug to four lug but does anyone make them from four lug to chevy five lug? Also, is it possible to fit 17x8 without heavy mods. Any advise will be very helpful, Thanks Paul

Guest Z-fried

I have been searching on this same info. There are a lot of previous threads on this topic. Do a search for 5-lug conversion and I think you will find the answer to most of your questions.

Also, the AR Torque Thrust wheels are most likely a Ford pattern since the z31 hubs and Ford share the same 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern. The Chevy pattern is 5 x 4.75."

Good luck.

Scott

if its the car pictured, than I think its safe to say that that car has probably been drilled for five lug and is not running adapters. there is no way you could get that kind of offset under stock fenders running adapters.

at least thats what I think.....

not sure exactly what he did up front (probably 5 lug z31 hubs like everyone else) but he has a four link and ford 9" according to the ad. that would explain the 5 lugs in the rear:

1971 DATSUN 240Z, 1971 DATSUN 240Z, CUSTOM BUILT 240Z 2X3 TUBULAR FULL FRAME 9" FORD REAREND 350 GEAR AUBURN CARRIER MOSER AXLES 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES CUSTOM MADE REAR 4 LINK TYPE SUSP. ALUMINUM HEAD 350 MOTOR FULLY DRESSED. CERAMIC COATED HEADERS STAINLESS STEEL BRAIDED LINES AND HOSES ALUMINUM RADIATOR PULLEYS OIL PAN TIMING COVER AND VALVE COVERS MSD PRO BILLET DIST. HOLLEY 770 STREET AVENGER CARB. 350 TRANS. . AMERICAN TORQE THRUST 11 WHEELS 17X11 REAR 17X7 FRONT

here's the actual ad on autotrader:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/8/9/73078389.htm

when i was thinking about using those wheels, i was thinking about coilovers and 17x7 fronts, 17x9 rears for mine. i wish i could afford to go as far as this guy did.

Guest das280zx

the z-car is not a "muscle" car, so i don't think it looks good with muscle car stuff. This includes the wheels. Some of you obviously differ, but that is my biased opinion. I prefer classic race car like wheels (ie libra or panasport) and some modern style wheels look ok. Somewhere I saw some 4-5 lug bolt on adapters once on the net. So it could be done, but why? Just to use torque-thrusts? Bad idea imo.

So it could be done, but why? Just to use torque-thrusts? Bad idea imo.

quoted for being your opinion. some of us obviously do differ. the z can be whatever kind of car it's owner wants (and can afford to fund). and going 5 lug opens up a lot more modern options than the panasports and libras that everyone else has on their Z's, otherwise the option probably wouldn't be so readily available from the likes of modern motorsports. given that this car has a v8 (as does mine) and ford 9" rear, bigger wheels and tires are much more appropriate. :twisted::twisted:

Guest Paul Johnson
:roll: I think the torque thrust is well worth the work and effort for that kind of look. Everyone has the panasports and they are way over priced. Also as soon as I put a 325 Hp V8 with a T5 five speed in my z it became a muscle car. I think the front with 17X7 will be not so bad to achieve, probaly just do the Z31 front hubs, but it is the rears I am having trouble with. I want 17X8 on the rear for traction but It's got to be hitting the coil spring, And a 9in. ford rearend is out of the question. I like the Independent supension. Maybe I can look into drilling the rears for 5 lug. has anyone done this? Does it cause offset problems? Thanks

ross c at modern motorsports (not trying to knock any other vendors, i've just mostly dealt with ross) has everything for your needs:

5 lug rear stub axle conversion:

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=46

coilovers:

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=12

there are many members here with 17x8 and 17x9.5 for the rear, but most have to use coilovers (some of the guys with custom built $$$ wheels have mounted 17x8 without coilovers). for the torgue thrusts to fit, you will need the 5 lug conversion for the rear stub axles, coilovers, and possibly a spacer for the rear wheels. for the fronts, you'll need the z31 front hubs as you mentioned. this is basically what i was planning for my other z, but i'm also leaning a bit towards the hopsters.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I e-mailed the gentlemen who owns that silver 240Z since I was also curious about those wheels, here the reply.

Cheers, Ari

"I DON'T REMEMBER THE OFFSET OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD BUT THEY WOULD'NT WORK ON THE FRONT OF A STOCK FRONT SUPS. I BUILT A FULL FRAME FOR THE CAR AND USED THE STOCK LOWER CROSS MEMBER WITH THE FACTORY RACK STEERING AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS. I BUILT THE UPPER A ARMS AND USED COILOVER SHOCKS AND USED STOCK GM SPINDLES THAT WHERE MODIFIED SLIGHTLY"

Hey Paul:

I'm using '93 Camaro rotors on the front of mine. You just have to swap the outer race and bearing with the one from the Z.

I was under the impression that the most options to be had were with the newer Honda/ Integra wheel options.

My question is, I know they make wheel adpaters for zcars from four lug to four lug but does anyone make them from four lug to chevy five lug? Also, is it possible to fit 17x8 without heavy mods. Any advise will be very helpful, Thanks Paul

http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp?pg=2&ID=62563&returnURL=%2Fproduct%2Easp%3Fsource%3D%26ID%3D62563%26returnURL%3D%252Fproduct%255Flist%252Easp%253Fid%253D1377

The adapters only come in 2" wide. It still won't allow you to get anything wide in the rear as the offset would have to be custom.

If you are planning on going to an 17x8, may as well go for the 17x9 and not wish you did later. I am running coilovers only in the rear so I can get a 9 in there with a 275.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paul Johnson

Thanks for all the help!!!! I'm going to do the coilovers and redrill the rears. I will post some pics as soon as I can. Thanks

I'm new to the board so excuse my ignorance! Do the Z31 5-lug rotors bolt right on to the (ie 75 Z) with no other modifications? Has anyone used the 5-lug stub axles offered by Modern-Motorsports, and did you just redrill the hubs to fit? Does anyone have a phone # for those guys as they very seldom answer an e-mail

Thanks, Bryan

Direct e-mail me if you can!

lbo730@bvunet.net

or

bowens@sjinvestments.net

I'm new to the board so excuse my ignorance! Do the Z31 5-lug rotors bolt right on to the (ie 75 Z) with no other modifications? Has anyone used the 5-lug stub axles offered by Modern-Motorsports' date=' and did you just redrill the hubs to fit? Does anyone have a phone # for those guys as they very seldom answer an e-mail

Thanks, Bryan

Direct e-mail me if you can!

[email']lbo730@bvunet.net[/email]

or

bowens@sjinvestments.net

If you use the front Z31 hubs you either need to use the Z31 rotors with Moderen Motorsports rotor spacer($150), Foneboothe makes one too http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes_zcar.html. Or JSK makes a Wilwood set up ($$$$$) for use with Z31 hubs or AZZCar's aluminum 5 lug with Wilwoods. If you use the MM stubs, that is the hub. You need to redrill the drum(easy)or go with disks. I am debating redrilling my own rear hubs. I'm just afraid I may be off a few thou and then the wheel won't bolt on. I have new wheels and tires sitting and waiting:( . You will need to use the earlier seal on the Z31 hubs.