HybridZ

Os Giken TG24-B1 heads

Guest badintentionz

Guest badintentionz

Hi, I am sort of new to this forum but a couple of weeks ago I came across some nice heads that were produced in the past but were very rare. The pictures are located on this page http://www.datrats.com.au/PICTURES.html . They are for the L28 and turns your use to be SOHC to a new monster DOHC. I have E-mailed Enonvativ Force, an official Os Giken distributor in the states concerning, getting these heads reproduced. Here's there E-mail address Info@EnonvativForce.com. I know I would love to get my hands on a set of these heads and I bet a few others would too. Please support me on getting this idea to Os Giken's main corporation for them to consider this idea.

THANK YOU!!,

Eric

This has been posted on other forums to gain more support.

I emailed them. Id love to have one even though I know they will never be reproduced. I havn't heard the latest but board member turboblue streak was making a dohc head but splicing 2 ka24de heads from a 240sx or altima. Looked promising but like I said haven't heard anything.

Guest Hubbo

For anyone who has the "How to modify your Nissan/Datsun OHC engine" book it does mention the TC24-B1 head (pg 59/60) is available directly from Japan only for $12,000. I'm presuming thats in US dollars.

Anyway, happy hunting... *cough* RB engine *cough*

a work of art at a mere 12 grand!!!! :shock:

that's only...

-6 full sr20 setups OR

-about 3-4 rb26's OR

-about 6 decently-built sbc's OR

-about 6 kick-ass l28et's

i'd love one... where do i sign up? :lol:

Guest badintentionz

Hey thanks for all your replys. Hopefully if all works out, it won't cost an ball or two. I would be disappointed if they were to name the price at that but anyways we have to convince them first. I do understand everybodies points about doing a swap for less but I would rather stick with my L28 just for the fact that it's my Z's original engine. Anyways, if you guys would like to help spread the word even more and e-mail Enonvative Force. Gotta keep out hopes up. If you chose not to support it's all good, I can't change your opinion.

Eric

i did e-mail them as well, trust me if they could be cost-effective i'd be attracted. it's just that at even a quarter of that price, you can build a wicked engine, swap or not, without it. but at the right price... that'd open up an l engine really nice. wonder if they could be run on a turbo engine?

Hey topless I'm still working on it. Just with summer break from college it's making it hard to work on my head. But I did find out that skyline RB cams would fit the head if I can keep the cam towers aligned. I might if I have to cut them off and mimic what Nissan did with the L6 cam towers. At the moment I picked up a N42 head out the junkyard and a N42 intake (intake for sale) and will be researching doing some extreme port and polish work to the head and extreme doesn’t' mean ports the size of my fist. I'll be taking this head every step of the way with a flow bench and rework the port similar to what has been discussed on the boards in the past to increase port flow and velocity.

tbs

don't know if any of you guys heard from them yet, but i found this in my inbox this morning...

Dear Bob

Thank you for contacting to us.

Sorry to let you know, but TC24-B1 (L28 Engine Head) is discontinue.

But we might be able to ask for reproduction of TC24-B1 as special order.

If we have enough order for TC24-B1. (Min. 5 order.)

It is hand made and it takes time to make TC24-B1 kit.

Anyway, if you and your friend want to get this parts.

Please contact me again.

Thanks.

EnonvativForce

Isamu

what do you think...worth finding out exactly how much?

Guest Chris240turbo

I would mail back and ask for an estimate, I would be interested, but likely would be far too expensive to pursue, I would think much over $4000, complete, would be hard to justify, since you could source an entire RB26 in good shape for less, but I'd sure like to see one done.

Guest badintentionz

I too, got a reply. They said they would need a minimum of 5 people before special ordering the units. I replied asking for a price and more information. Hopefully they aren't outrageously priced. If so i will leave it to someone else to buy if they would like. (Which I doubt if they are pricey) Hopefully all in all, it will work out.

Eric

good to hear from ya, TBS! I was wondering if you got my email with the pics of the RB cams next to the KA head! I was surprised how well it all lined up as well!

I have shyed away from the 2 KA24DE heads for now, as I picked up a complete RB25DET long block, that broke a timing belt and bent a few valves, for $150. I have compared headgaskets between the RB and my L28, pretty damn close! well, none too many of the coolant/oil passages line up, BUT! the bores are spot on as well as the headbolts. I am thinking of welding up all coolant/oil passages on the head and drilling/tapping AN fittings and run external lines. why would I go thru all this trouble instead of just fixing the RB25DET and using it? because, when was the last time you saw an RB31DET? L31 stroker + DOHC = smile inducer!

I think retro fitting an RB head to an L series block is the best way to go.

Mack

In 1984, when I touched down in Japan, the head was still available at around $12,000.

In 1989, whne I left, due tot he Yen going from 268 in 84 to 131 in 89, the price at the same speed shop in American Dollars had risen to $24,000+.

I really hate to sound like a broken record, but ANYONE saying "it won't cost a ball" or "wil it be reasonably" priced is out of touch with the REALITIES of the situation.

I have seen Japanese S30 vehicles with over $60K in modifications on them, and for those owners, a $24K head is something to set them apart from the rest of the crowd.

There is NO WAY IN HELL you will even sniff the FARTS of the guy laying up the cope for the casting, much less get a completed head out of OS Gikken for anything under $10K, and I'd venture to say $20 by now!

Nissan realized the weaknesses inherent in the L-Block, and after experimentation withthe NISSAN crossflow head (The LY) they shelved further development on the L-Series for the NEXT GENERATION of L-6, the RB Series.

If you want and "Original" L-Series, bet an LY head, they are still around, and only run you around $60K complete engine assembly---the head alonw bare is going for around $25 to $40K depending on where you source it and how willing they are to part with it. The these levels, the block it's bolted onto is merely a support for the display of the head itself... :roll:

tony...

you're letting me in on some z history that's been lost on me. :cheers: i never knew about previous dohc heads for l-engines, much less any versions coming out of nissan itself. thanks for the knowledge... i wanted to ask though, having been through the scene... have you gotten to know much about any of these engines that are out there in terms of power output, n/a vs. turbo applications, etc... you've sparked my curiosity and any further insights would be very much appreciated!...bob

Guest Chris240turbo

So Tony, what you are saying is that, in Japan (which I've never been to) it's possible to find a shop/corporation, that will cast and build a dohc, 24 valve cylinder head for L series engines, for upwards of $20,000 but here in america there are several companies making aftermarket aluminum heads for domestic V-8's (and a few 4-bangers, like esslinger) for well under $2000, complete for 2 (!) heads, and even some that are fairly rare (AMC's etc). MORE THAN TEN TIMES AS MUCH!!! YIKES!!!

I'm not saying that you're wrong, far from it! but you would think, in light of early Z cars original and continuing popularity that such a thing would surely be more profitable to sell at a price more in line with the working stiff that the super rich! after all, they aren't selling ANY of them now... man, what must they charge for machine shop time as compared to here! I can't believe they need to recoup the engineering and developement time cost, not after 15-20 years of making NONE! I have an idea, just get them to rough cast a crap load of these heads, and send them over with the specs on finished port size, valve and cam specs, etc, and take it to someone here, the birthplace of the machine tool! USA speed and machine shops MUST be much more hungry than japanese! for $24000, I would expect to be able to ship my engine from here to there, AND have it built by the best mechanics that japan has, parts included, AND have it shipped back!

I'm curious as to what these fellows get quoted for a price, keep us posted!