HybridZ

Who has a for sure R230 in their Z?

Brad-ManQ45

I have to say that it is extremely frustrating Tim that you keep promoting your pic as an R230 which keeps the mis-info on this issue alive.

Neil

Uhh...Neil.....

I have referred to it as the "Q45" diff, not the R230 (at least since this debate started)......I'm sorry that you are so easily frustrated.... :oops::roll::D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Maichor,

Now your touching on the crux of this issue and the strength of R200s vs the added size and weight of an R230.

Then theres the cost in extra fabrication (axles and mounting) vs fitting any of the many lsd centres to a longnose R200.

There is not a lot of point going to the expense of putting in a shortnose R200 vlsd given the above option unless you get the diff cheap or you want a shorter ratio for taller wheel and tyre combo.

Also the VLSD is better suited to a road car which should also be taken into consideration when assessing the viability of this swap if your considering track use.

Lets keep the discussion rolling. Neil

Edit. Only on my bad days Tim, yes you did say Q45 my apologies!

Guest 3154tm

Folks,

After floundering in the R230 vs R200 hole for about a year, I believe I have read every thread ever printed in this forum as well as anything else I could find and I am convinced that I now have 3 R230 VLSD's that I absolutely KNOW came out of a '90, '93 and '94 z32 300zxtt's. All have 3:69 gears, six-bolt output flanges, 10 bolt rear covers and the 6-bolt horn-like input flange (exactly like DRAX240's pictures). I also have an R200 VLSD shorty with 4:08 gears, five-bolt output flanges, 8 bolt rear cover and 4 bolt flat input flange. All have dual speed sensors.

The only thing that confuses me about Tim's is the six-bolt output flanges. Seem to be out of place. The rest looks exactly like an R200 VLSD.

For the record, the R230 is BEEFY in ALL respects compared to the R200 (of any vintage).

Hope this didn't add to the confusion.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

90-96 Q45 with 3.538 R200v uses the beefier 100mm CV 30-31? spline axles.

Most other Nissan applications use the 90mm CV 27-28? spline axles with exception of 200-240SX which use tripod CV with a 27 spline axle.

When the strength of R200s has ever been discussed the weak point has always seemed to fall on the axles which is probably why the Q45 V8 uses the beefiest axles.

Hope this helps . Neil

Yes Wayne thats the reason, when I first started researching this issue, like others I thought 6 bolt flanges was indicative of R230. Until I came across a discussion in the NICO forum on the 90-96 models 3.538 R200v and the non interchangeability of the Z32NA 4.08 R200v because of the bigger diff stubs. Further research confirmed this as true. Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Joe, ( sounds like Hendrix )

Firstly longnose is 3.545 or 39/11 and the Q45 is 3.538 or 46/13 so the ringear isn't interchangeable.

The gearcase in R200s with 13 or 14 tooth pinion I dont believe can be used in the longnose housings with the early gearsets of 10 or 11 tooth pinions because the ringear mounting is set too far from the pinion centreline.

Since in another thread you said that you have both diffs and were removing the rear covers, measure from a fixed point on the housing to the ringear mounting face on both and let us know what the difference is between them. Neil

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring an old post back from the dead, but it seems this discussion is on what I'm looking at.

I have 4 R200's and 2 R230's. The R230's I have are from JDM Nissan vans (the Largo and the Serena) They have SHORT gear ratios (4.66 and 4.9) The housings are the same as the Z32 TT housing, but the output flanges don't have ABS sensors, and then input is a short nose with no HICAS sensor or speed sensor in it.

The R200's I have, 3 of them are from S13 180sx/Silvias, and the other is from the R32 Skyline GTS-T.

Out of all 6 of these diffs, the rear covers are swappable, as are the input and output flanges.

I was running an R230 in my 180sx with the original 180sx 5 bolt output flanges, 180sx input flange and rear cover. It all bolted up aside from the two front mounting points. I had to use two large washers and the original bolts to hang the front end.

This setup was very stout, and handled my 395rwhp/362ft/lbs without a problem. I am putting the SR20 into my Z, and would love to swap one of these diff's into it as well.

I would most likely want to use the R200 from the R32 skyline (4.36 ratio) and whatever combination of the flanges required. Can anyone direct me to a link or some pictures of anyone who has done this? I've been searching extensively.

Oh well what the hell!

Firstly you say that all the rear covers are interchangeable, if that is true then all the diffs you have must be R200 as R230s use a 10 bolt rear cover as previously discussed in this thread.

Fitting a shortnose diff is the same for R200 or R230 and all the info you want including pictures can be found amongst the R230-Drivetrain Threads in the search function. Neil.

Every thread I've found ends up with the same thing being said "Use the search"

Well, I have. Any old picture links are now dead, and I can't find much thats useful.

The R230 housings I have are obviously bigger than that of the R200 short noses, they have a bigger hump where the ring gear fits into the front end. They look just like the housing in the Z32 TT, but I didn't count the bolts on the rear cover. The flanges also look different, even after banging them out of the diff... but we just swapped them over and it worked great.

The VLSD is extremely tight in these. It's not like every R200 diff I've driven, where your rear end kicks left because the left tire engages much quicker than the right. This diff will kick both tires at the same time. It's also very difficult to twist the shafts in opposite directions (whereas the R200 is easy)

Either way, I can't find any pics of an install anywhere.