HybridZ

Who has a for sure R230 in their Z?

Brad-ManQ45

Guest AltFuel

I can't beleive the nerve of this guy, pointing out my mistakes and everything...

That is my auction, and I hope nobody buys it, so i have an excuse to put it in my car. The description is fixed (maybe...it says r200 now).

thanks for the informative ponderings.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AltFuel

Q: Hi guy, to save yourself some greif, I'd edit your R230 auction. That is 100% for sure a R200 VLSD, not a R230... Not trying to slam you, just trying to help. Ask around, you'll find out its true. Have a good one. joel

---you can only imagine my ire---

I was gonna frame it cause its about the only question I've had the does not ask me to repeat verbatim the item description.

Q: Hi guy' date=' to save yourself some greif, I'd edit your R230 auction. That is 100% for sure a R200 VLSD, not a R230... Not trying to slam you, just trying to help. Ask around, you'll find out its true. Have a good one. joel

---you can only imagine my ire---

I was gonna frame it cause its about the only question I've had the does not ask me to repeat verbatim the item description.[/quote']

I can understand where your coming from... I'm also selling stuff. The nerve of some people, huh?

Like I said, take it how you want, I was just trying to pass on what I learned here about which is which.

I know you joined just to set me strait, so now that that has been done, welcome to HybridZ :D

joel

Guest AltFuel

I realy appreciate the help actualy...I have been blessed by the Ebay comunity, with identification of several very unknown random parts. I try not to be just straight up wrong like that. Google doesn't usualy lead me atray.

Looks like now all I need is a Z :(

In my defence, My Firebird has 240Z turn signal lenses and a v8, maybe IRS with an R200V in a few years?

Now that the R230 issue is becoming much more clear, will the driveshaft adaptor that Tim posted (listed below) fit the real R230 pinion flange from a 300ZXTT?? Maybe using 4 of the 6 bolt holes? I already bought the JTR DS adaptor, but not the rear yet.

If not, what is being used on the 6 bolt pinion flange?

1310 U-Joint: NEUJ 1 0153

1310 Q-45 Conversion Flange: FLNG 3102 69

I'm making a round steel adaptor that will bolt into the R230 diff flange using all six bolts. It will be thick enough (approx 3/4") to set the bolt heads below the surface of the adaptor and still have some meat left to handle the torque of a 500 lb ft motor. Get your machine shop to center the JTR driveshaft flange (1310 U joints) by machining an index relief in the outboard face of the adaptor to match the index ring on the JTR flange. Drill and tap the holes to match the JTR flange holes (10x125) and you're in business! Of course you must get a driveshaft made to length. It's not done yet, but will take and post pics when I get it back. This is one way, I'm sure there are others. Hope this helps.

Wayne

Guest 2FordEZ

All

Today I picked up a VLSD diff that I purchased off eBay. I got it CHEAP. :2thumbs: The guy I bought it from goes by joenissan on eBay. He told me that he had 5 :shock: of these sitting in the shop right now! He's a dismantler, and gets them all the time. He currently has two z32TT's sitting in the yard, too.

It was advertised as a 91 300zx n/a rear carrier, 4.08 ratio. It has two bolts on the top of the rear cover, two ABS rings, 6 hold output flanges, and is the short snout. I thought it was the R230, but I'm thinking now it's an r200. It has the orange vlsd sticker as well. I'll post pics when I get them done.

I just thought I'd let you all know if you want one, this dude talks like he's eat up with 'em.

Contact Jody at:

REDLINE USED AUTO PARTS

Rr Box 247a or 1070 CR 2243

Hartman, AR 72840

(479) 754 5557

thanks and be safe

Coby

Speaking of adapting the 6 bolt R230 300ZXTT, You do not have to machine your own adapter. There is a nice one you can get from Powertrain Industries. They are used to convert to a one-piece driveshaft, (the ZX had a 2-piece with weird joint in back). However, they are always backordered and takes about 1-2 months. Plan ahead and order it early in your swap. EDIT: Uses a 1310 series U-joint.

Here is the contact:

Part #3102-42

http://www.powertrainindutries.com

(714) 893-4585

7532 Anthony Ave.

Garden Grove, CA 92841

Price is steep at $116. :shock:

You will also have a hard time finding 10 X 1.25 X 25 Allen head bolts. The round head is necessary to clear the yoke. I searched everywhere and finally went with Gardner Wescott 1-800-521-9805. 10 X 1.25 X 30 Chrome grade 8 was all they had and were $2.46 each! But they look cool! :2thumbs:

P.S. I can't believe this thread is still alive!

Guest erics660z

I seem to recall a thread where somebody said the diff. carrier itself, looked like it would switch from a VLSD/short nose R200, into a long nose case. (Provided you have the right size ring gear bolts.) I can't seem to find it now.

Has any body actually done this?

I have a VLSD short nose hanging around at work, I could get real cheap. Don't want to convert the car. Just add the limited slip.

(89 R200 should be correct bolt size,right?) - Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Maichor,

Many thanks for the adaptor info. Just got off the 'phone with John at Powertrain Industries (from the info in your post) concerning the R230 flange adaptor they make for the 300zxtt one-piece driveshaft conversion. Thought y'all would like to know that John says he has plenty in stock so there is no wait and the price is $96.67 plus shipping. Sure beats making an adaptor.

Again, thanks for the steer...... :-D

Wayne

Maichor' date='

Many thanks for the adaptor info. Just got off the 'phone with John at Powertrain Industries (from the info in your post) concerning the R230 flange adaptor they make for the 300zxtt one-piece driveshaft conversion. Thought y'all would like to know that John says he has plenty in stock so there is no wait and the price is $96.67 plus shipping. Sure beats making an adaptor.

Again, thanks for the steer...... :-D

Wayne[/quote']

Thats what I wanted to hear, r230 install is nearing its time for me, sure its gonna cost me a little bit to get the thing in there, but to have indestructible posi, YES :twisted:

Wayne,

$96! NO FAIR! Supply and demand got me on that one. He had no supply and he could probably tell the part was in high demand, for me at least. I'm glad the price has come down. I had them make my driveshaft. It came out nicely. If you ordered the part, be sure to be ready with the bolts. Stock 300ZXTT bolts will NOT WORK! And, forget about a standard hex head unless you want to grind off a corner to make it fit. There's nothing worse than waiting on bolts to be able to drive your car! Well, maybe there are worse things.

You will also have a hard time finding 10 X 1.25 X 25 Allen head bolts. The round head is necessary to clear the yoke. I searched everywhere and finally went with Gardner Wescott 1-800-521-9805. 10 X 1.25 X 30 Chrome grade 8 was all they had and were $2.46 each! But they look cool!

Maichor,

Thanks to you, I had already bought the socket screw bolts from the source in your post. I'll tell you, after goofing around with a number of options, I would gladly have paid the $116 to get one already made. Again, thanks.

fl327,

I'll let you know what it will hold once I get ZVette percolating. Got a pretty hot 383 fuel injected chevy and mama bought me a 250 HP nitrous kit for Christmas (gotta love a woman like that!) so we will put it to the test!

Wayne

They're not indestructable... my friend snapped one with only 363rwhp doing a fat burnout once.

I couldn't break mine' date=' however.[/quote']

if it can hold 250rwhp sideways, that all I need to know...

Oh hell, 250hp is nothing! Go for it.

Hey there, didnt you say that you ran an r230 in your sx? I just picked up a 3.7 r200lsd and am going to use that in my z for now. I wanted to learn more about swapping an r230 into a s13-that 3.70 ratio would make it a top end killer!