HybridZ

New carbon fiber parts from John C.

Dragonfly

I recieved the other day my new carbon fiber/nomex hood and carbon fiber rear hatch from Beta Motorsports (John C.) :-D:-D:-D needless to say I am quite happy. My car is now 71 pounds lighter and no longer has the 280zxr wing on the back so the drag has been reduced as well. I don't have any pictures at this time but when I get some I will post them (no digital camera).

As far as the quality and craftsmanship on the parts I would have to say that I am very pleased. I personaly do not know much about carbon fiber besides what I have read, but I spent many years as a calibration tech and inspector in the aerospace industry so I feel qualified to say I got what I paid for and I am quite happy.

Thanks John.

Dragonfly

Here is a link for you with some pictures and prices http://www.betamotorsports.com/products/index.html but if you think that $675 is to high... you might want to sit down. You should be aware that these are actual race parts and not some of the cheaply made "look at my hood" parts that you see on ricers.

As for the hood you where talking about I believe that is made By Les Canady of Classic Datsun, and if that is the case it is a very high quality hood as well but it is made for apperance and not as a race part, his hood weighs 17 lbs and can be attached to your hood hinges/springs and held down with your hood latch.

Dragonfly

The parts made by John (Beta Motorsports) are intended to be pinned, they have no mounting points for hinges etc. The hood made by Les (Classic Datsun) http://www.classicdatsun.com/new/carbonfiberhood.html is made as a direct bolt on replacement for your stock hood. Both of these hoods are made with a very high attention to detail and they are both at the top of thier respective uses.

It is important to remember that 99.9% of the time you get what you pay for. If you want to go less expensive both of these guys also make very high quality fiberglass parts as well for much less money.

Dragonfly

Thanks Miles. The CF/Nomex hood I sell can be attached to the stock hood hinges and use the stock hood latch but you'll have to add the inner frame option which bumps up the weight and price. As Miles said, the parts I sell are race parts and most racers I've dealt with want to remove the front hood hinges, springs, etc.

For a street car that's not going to see consistent 90+ mph speeds the lower priced two or three layer CF hoods makes sense. The hood on a raced 240/260/280 has to be pretty strong because of the air pressures that build up in the engine compartment at speeds over 90mph. At Willow Springs big track, where even a stock 240Z will see speeds over 90 mph for 15 seconds a lap, I've seen low priced fiberglass and CF hoods literally tear apart and fly off the car.

My hood even moves up hard against the hood pins at speeds over 130mph as Ken Jones, John Williams, Art Singer, and others can attest.

But, for a street car, the parts I sell are overkill. Plus, by default, my CF hood and hatch come primed, ready for paint. It costs extra to a clear Gelcoat so that the CF weave shows.

Hey John:

This is the first time I have heard about Nomex being use in an automotive part. How/when did this come about? I wear Nomex suits when I have to do refinery work. I can't picture that suff covered in resin. :?:

Nice work on the hood.

Guest RCNSC

Oh lord.. Heres the ricer coming out in me. I love the clearcoated hoods.... That cf look is awesome and would create awesome contrast to any Z with some flares and maybe black wheels? :) Thats my plan anyway....

White Z, black flairs, black rims, CF hood...... :)

I'm with lilj....ZX parts please...heck I'll take a hood!

If someone can provide a perfect AND I MEAN PERFECT 280ZX hood I'll check with my CF guy about making a mold.

I was planning on picking this up, but if your intersted in it, let me know and I won't bid on it. Besides, you'll put it to more use than I could :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7912886907&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

*edit* oops ZX :roll:

On the subject of carbon fiber parts, I was on another Z car site and one of the members was inquiring about a carbon fiber rear tail light panel. Not a bad idea ehh! Sure would look good with a carbon fiber hood, don't you think. When they're available, I would buy one for my 1970. What do you think guys?

Guest JAMIE T

I live in Richmond, I emailed the guy to se if I could come look at the hood mold. We'll see how it looks hopefully. I have a fiberglass hood, but it is poor quality.