HybridZ

Best kill yet, and the most unexpected one at that!

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Wow... all my threads getting very popular lately.

Well where to begin. First off, I have no indication of how much power this guy really does have... other than his claim (300 crank hp), which seeing as this guy is as big into chevys as I am into Z's, I would think he's at least somewhat close. I mean come on... I've been into this so long and learned so much, that if someone comes along and gives a very detailed list of exactly what they are running on an L6 motor, I think I can give at least a good ballpark figure guess for what it's good for, hp wise. As could most people here. If this guy knows what parts he's built his engine with, he can probably guesstimate with some accuracy, the amount of HP he's putting down. Other than that, I know he must be putting down good power because this guy can roast the tires pretty much at will at just about any speed under 20mph or so... my car on the other hand definately can NOT do that. But when he did tell me that he was still running the stock cam, I did kinda question the 300hp figure. Problem is, the engine he rebuilt is NOT the engine that came out of that car, I know he told me he swapped it out, so when he says stock cam, I've NO idea what it was stock IN. For what it's worth, and I think I did mention, his kid was in the car... I'm gonna just guesstimate his kid at 150 ish pounds, and he himself maybe 230ish. He was getting NO traction, whereas I bogged a bit on the launch... but by the time I shifted into 2nd, we were still dead even. A split second later when boost hit full in 2nd, I started pulling away. I dont know how much distance we covered, but I do remember letting off at around 4500rpm in 3rd gear, I think around 80mph. And at LEAST 3 cars ahead of him. I couldn't hear well enough to be able to tell you when his car stopped spinning the tires but when he's driven by showing off I know it spins all thru first and chirps hard into 2nd. Considering his is a 3 speed, although I've no idea what rear gear he's running, I'm thinking he was still in first for a bit (and still spinning) when boost hit in 2nd for me and I was just gone.

My hp is only so low because of lack of fuel on the top end, but it does put out a lot of torque. It bears mentioning as well that my final dyno numbers (the 210/269 numbers in my sig) were reached with boost set to 9-10 psi during the run. I have a thread going on in the turbo section about this right now, just dynoed two days ago. Anyways, after much discussion there, I decided that going by the experience of others, I would be safe turning the boost back up a bit to 12-13psi, which I had done and was running at this boost level when we raced. When I was testing at the dyno, I had started with a high boost level (about 14psi) and backing down as we were getting really odd O2 readings. At 14 psi my torque was hitting about 290ft lbs if I remember correctly... AFR was all over the place, the guy doing the pull let off early though, about 4000rpm, so I have no idea what hp would have been (hp peaks at about 5000-5500). I didn't get the printouts for any but the last pull as it was the only full length pull. As such the numbers in my sig are already inaccurate, but hey, since I only have the one dyno sheet and one complete run, I decided to use those numbers. I mean, they are only going to go up from there, and better to have them listed too low than too high. By the way, I will hopefully have the fuel situation solved by tomorow, and should be getting closer to 240rwhp.

Some other facts for you, my 240z was weighed at an equipment rental place, 2320lbs with my tools, jack and spare and about half a tank of fuel. The only change since then was the addition of the I/C. I estimate it now to be around 2370lbs. I add to that 275lbs :oops: About how much does a 64 nova weigh?

I didn't intend this as a debate for turbo vs. V8, rather, just poking fun at Tim, who is always poking fun at me and ragging me for going turbo.

And I will say this... I dont really have any idea how much power Tim's LS1 Z is making (it's like I'm one of the few guys that ever friggin dyno's anything), nor even how much power a stock LS1 is good for (actually, now that I think about it, I do remember Tim saying his was making somewhere in the low 300's), so I wont debate whether Tim's car would be any faster, but I do know this, at some 270+ ft lbs of torque TO THE WHEELS, I'm well within the ballpark of what many stock or mildly modified V8's are putting down, and with the extra fuel my hp will follow suit. And whatever gap Tim240z would pull on me in a race, is rapidly, rapidly getting shorter :twisted:

A Chevy Nova II with a V8 weighs around 2800lbs, with the two people in it, that would be 3180lbs. Now your car at 2370 + yourself is 2645lbs. So the Nova weighed 535 lbs more than yours at the time of the race, that is quite alot. He didn't have much more HP than your's and with that much of a weight disadvantage, it's no wonder you won.

The last two post by MikeK and Bastaad525 were exactly what I was looking for. Not a debate on a turboed L6 vs a V8, but more facts on what determined the original outcome. Thanks guys.

On another note, how come Hybrid Z doesn't have a drag event on the west coast like the SEZ event back east?

Who cares about peak horsepower numbers? Area under the curve is what matters, combined with proper gearing for your power curve, and some way to get it to the ground.

Says it all. The only HP number that matters is the one your engine is actually spinning at. If your power band is too narrow and your gearing can't keep you in it, then you won't accelerate.

Also Cheby put some pretty potent small blocks in those late 60 Chevelles. The power cureves were good and fat too. Made them a good match to the limited number of gears in the trannys of the day. It could really make a difference which 350 option the car had.

Guest bastaad525
Just for accuracy' date=' I have the LT, not LS....but I would spank that little air blower anyways :twisted::D:D:D

[/quote']

That's funny... that's just about the same thing this Nova owner said :P

How much power did you say you were making again Tim? :shock: Don't worry Tim... even should I ever get to the point of making enough power to beat you in a race, I'll still appreciate that custom tail panel of yours, even if I can't see it :D

You also said the Chevelle had 4.88 gears in the back. I'm not sure what the tranny was, but I'm sure that makes it quite a bit faster. I raced a LS1 Trans Am with 4.11's in the Cobra when it was making close to 390 to the rear wheels and we were pretty even. The guy had very little done to the car. As soon as he hit his overdrive though, I was gone. Gearing can do a lot.

Bring it on inliner boy :D:D:twisted: ....provided of course that the thing doesn't put a hole in the piston, or block... :twisted::twisted::wink::wink:

Hmm....I do believe you are right, Tim..... 525 does have quite a self-proclaimed history of metallic Z car carnage.

I won't join in this fray, I'll just be content to stir the pot. :lol::lol:

Hanns

The last two post by MikeK and Bastaad525 were exactly what I was looking for. Not a debate on a turboed L6 vs a V8' date=' but more facts on what determined the original outcome. Thanks guys.

On another note, how come Hybrid Z doesn't have a drag event on the west coast like the SEZ event back east?[/quote']

I dont think at one time enough of us have our cars ready for me to do that, but it would be nice.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Tourniquet

I have a 86 Mustang SVO 2.3l turbo. It is a torque master for the size of the engine. 250lbs peak, but a good curve as earliar stated. The little turbo has suprised quite a few v8 sheet metal tanks...

Yeah I like this turbo stuff, I actually was contemplating v8 again for a while, but I like breaking stuff with the nissan parts I live by like 50 junkyards in a 50mile radius. Best kill so far was defeating a JTR 240z...In a Turbo280Baby!

Yeah I like this turbo stuff, I actually was contemplating v8 again for a while, but I like breaking stuff with the nissan parts I live by like 50 junkyards in a 50mile radius. Best kill so far was defeating a JTR 240z...In a Turbo280Baby!

Nice. Not many V8r's can keep up with the hair dryers here at altitude. A V8 Z is a rarety here, only one I've ever seen at the strip wasn't running right. Come on, MobytheVan, bring it! ;)

Turbo S30's running in the 12's with junkyard mods...that's nothing to sneeze at, V8 or not. How do you think my WRX does 0-60 in 5 seconds? Not a V-8 mind you; not even over two little liters. Its called TRACTION.

Not to get into an American V8 vs Import motor discussion.....If you mod an American V8 to the extent that these low CC imports are being modded. The V8 will slap you in the face every time.