HybridZ

The BlueOvalZ shows its arss

blueovalz

This body was a "divorce recovery" project I threw myself into one summer. Then the project took on a life of its own after that. At the time I started it I felt, "who the **** cares what I do, or how I do it" and thus I did little to document the process. But as some folks took notice, I learned that there would be others that could learn from my mistakes (and successes) and I started photo-documenting as much of the work as was possible.

Anyway, to answer you question, I glued a bunch of foam onto the car, sanded it to the shape I liked, laid it up in glass, removed the foam, and finished it out. It's a never ending project.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has nobody noticed the missing spoiler?

Maybe because it looks so good even without one? :wink:

I noticed it, but I also saw the holes in the rear deck, and though that Terry had not installed it yet. I personally thing it looks very cool and very classic without it. Kinda looks Italian.

Boy, you guys don't miss a thing. The spoiler is getting painted this weekend. Yes it looks good without it as well, so I'm going to go ahead and place it on the car and see what I (and you guys) think. I've had a hard time deciding on this issue.

BTW Dan, appreciate the way you "play" the photos of your fabulous Z :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Thats just not fair, but at the same ime you inspire me to make my drawing real. Foam ehh..........where to you get large blocks of foam from? Also Terry what size tires are you running in the rear? Looks awesome in paint. NOw I hope you have some power to go with it, thus creating one awesome package, keep the surprises coming inside and out.

Very nice Terry. 8)

The thing that impresses me, is that you have done a tremendous amount of modification with out loosing the Z's lines. More like enhancing them.

How many years has it taken to get it this nice?

Simply awsume!! Enjoy the shows Terry. Thats where all your hard work pays off. Just please don't come to any shows that I'm in, no seriously I hope I do see it in person some day. Are you plannig to go to the Z convention in NY or TX in the up-coming years? Hope to see you there, Paul PS What if you made the spoiler easly detachable, that way you could have it both ways since you can't make up your mind.

Guest butlersZ

Absolutely Beautiful!!! :2thumbs: Terry, your car has given me the inspiration to dive into the world of custom body work.

To me, your Z, is "THE Z". :hail::hail::hail:

Thanks for all the painting tips (and your time on the phone) Ernie. The stripe transitions went very well as you instructed, and yes (per your thoughts) I did paint the car in pieces. It all matches perfectly, and even I was surprised at how nicely it went. There were a few minor problems (e.g. bugs doing a square-dance in the wet paint) such as the gum staying on the white stripe part when I pulled the tape off. I tried all sorts of things to remove this gum, and then found the easiest and safest way to remove the gum (BTW, this was 3M tape, and it was not to my expectations; blue, green, masking, rubber, or what-ever, none of it was typical 3M quality) was lay a fresh strip of masking tape down over the stuck gum, and then pull the tape back off, pulling the stuck gum with it. Thankfully the base coat was tape safe within a very short time, which saved me a lot of problems as well. Anyway, thanks again for all the advice. You are the paint KING! :D:D:D:D:D

Guest squirrelgripper

Wow! You're in Little Rock? I am too!

That's a wild looking ride, really neat looking. I noticed in your photo album that you had "EM" on the windshield - is that EMOD? Do you auto-x locally?

Terry,

Not much can be added to what has already been said. Just want to add my vote of appreciation to the work you have done on your car. It must be very satisfying to just sit and look at the car you built and know you did it yourself :-D

I, for one, am glad you took time to post pictures of the work you did - they have helped me. Thank you.

Toooo funny! :D:D:D And the flourescent lights are bug magnets too. I ended up turning the lights off before opening the door. After that, I didn't have any more bug problems. At least mine were the size of gnats. Great story.

Squirrelgripper: (Squirrelgripper :?: ) Just prior to retiring the car to the garage for several years, I did attempt some auto-X, but EMod weight restriction made it a tough group to race against, and this was back when the AFB was still letting us race on the old B-52 "christmas tree" in Jacksonville (lots of high speed courses)

Do a Google search for "foam", "fiberglass" and "supply". Aircraft Spruce comes to mind but there are probably places closer to you.

Also, searching here may give results, search for "florist foam". I know the search function doesn't always work tho...

Owen