HybridZ

What disks for rear conversion?

Hi guys,

I just finished searching and found alot but no confirmation. I have 83zx calipers, 92 240sx calipers and maxima brackets (the same one from zcarcreation's site). What disks can I use, 79/81, 82/83 280zx or 84/300zx disks

Cheers, Ari

I'm not the expert on this, but I know that they won't all work. I think you can use the 280ZX caliper, Maxima bracket and later 280ZX rotor. The 300ZX rotor is bigger **I think**, so it won't work with the Maxima bracket. The early 280ZX rotor has a very deep hat, and the caliper won't line up with the Maxima bracket. I know about the early ZX stuff because I just took it off my car. I was running the ZQuip setup described in Z Car Magazine #1 issue.

Double check what I said, but I think it's accurate.

Jon, you're correct. The 4-lug 300ZX rotor is bigger than the 240SX rotor by about 1.25 inches (I put the 300ZX rotors on the back of my 240SX). Here is a photo of the OEM 240SX vs the OEM 300ZX rotors:

standard.jpg

FYI for archive use: I helped a guy use Ross' MM rear caliper/rotor kit using 14" wheels (the old slotted type) :evil::evil: . After much measuring, I had the machine shop take the rotors (replaced the Brembo rotors Ross supplied with a cheaper rotor that was not undercut on the inside radius of the friction surface that the pads grip) and turn the outside radius down by 1/4 inch so that the caliper would clear the wheels and stick-on counterweights. The bracket Ross provides had to be modified a tiny bit to move the calipers inward by that amount (1/4"), but he as a very rigid and flexible design in his brackets that allowed this work with little fan-fare. Here is a before and after photo of the bracket's modification to move the caliper inward toward the axle centerline:

standard.jpg

And then the new "smaller" rotor with caliper and it's relationship inside the wheel:

standard.jpg

You can use the 1984 300ZX rear rotor with the Maxima caliper. You have to use the caliper support part of the 300ZX rear caliper with the ‘82-‘83 280ZX caliper. The 300ZX caliper support piece positions the caliper further away from the hub centerline due to the larger diameter of the 300ZX rotor.

300zxbracket.jpg

However, to make this work the diameter of the 300ZX rotor must be decreased slightly from 290mm to 284mm. But this is still larger than the ‘82-‘83 280ZX rotor. The larger diameter of the 300ZX rotor increases brake torque and reduces any interference between the caliper and the CV axle flanges.

V.B. shows three different part numbers for the Z31 n/a rear rotors:

64-807 '84-'85

64-811 '86

64-813 '87-'89

What are the differences and which ones should you use if you are using the 240SX calipers with the Modern Motorsports brackets?

EDIT: Wait I got a clue. Some of these are four lug and some are five lug, right? Fill me in. And are there any other differences?

Use the Raybestos site for brake specs. Better info:

http://www.raybestos.com/catalog/prod.html

From the above site:

NISSAN Z31 300ZX Rear Rotors

1984-1985 Turbo and 1986-1986 All:

NO. OF HOLES & bOLT CIRCLE DIA: 5-4 1/2 inch

ROTOR OVERALL HEIGHT: 1 55/64 inch

BRAKE DIAMETER: 11 27/64 inch

SOLID DISC

1984-1985 Except Turbo:

NO. OF HOLES & BOLT CIRCLE DIA 4-4 1/2 inch

ROTOR OVERALL HEIGHT 1 55/64 inch

BRAKE DIAMETER 11 27/64 inch

SOLID DISC

1987-1989 All:

NO. OF HOLES & BOLT CIRCLE DIA 5-4 1/2

ROTOR OVERALL HEIGHT 2 19/64 inch

BRAKE DIAMETER 11 7/64 inch

VENTED DISC

• 7 months later...

I need to bring this thread up again because it's rear brake upgrade time for me and wanted to confirm rotor choice. I am interested in doing the Modern Motorsports rear disc conv. using the 1989-94 240sx calipers. The rotor sold with this kit is listed as a Brembo 4 lug/11.4". Is this an aftermarket replacement rotor for the 1984-85 300zx rotor?

What I want to know is- if I want to outsource this part of the setup, could I just buy replacement rotors for the 84-85 300zx?

I need to bring this thread up again because it's rear brake upgrade time for me and wanted to confirm rotor choice. I am interested in doing the Modern Motorsports rear disc conv. using the 1989-94 240sx calipers. The rotor sold with this kit is listed as a Brembo 4 lug/11.4". Is this an aftermarket replacement rotor for the 1984-85 300zx rotor?

What I want to know is- if I want to outsource this part of the setup' date=' could I just buy replacement rotors for the 84-85 300zx?[/quote']

Hi

Yes, would be the answer to your two questions. Just make sure the rotors are four bolts. Some aftermarket companies will have a rotor with the four and five bolt pattern already drilled, makes it universal for the turbos and non-turbos 300zx but still applicable for your setup.

Ari