HybridZ

My car-ZG Flares, 18 inch Racing Hart C2's (not a Z though)

This is a link to my 510 wagon with a few Z, Toyota, Corvette, and Viper parts. The wheels are 18x8.5 in front with 255/35/18's and the rears are 18x10 with 285/30/18's. I used ZG flares from Classic Datsun. The rears work really well, fronts barely rub sometimes during hard cornering. Struts are 280zx. Link has more info on the car.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/674663

Anthony

'71 510 wagon, '91 Supra Turbo engine (327 rwhp)

Thanks guys.

The swap meant moving the firewall, enlarging the trans tunnel, motor mounts, trans mount, custom intake as the oem is too large to fit in the car and a hundred other things I'd rather forget. Engine would fit much better in a Z for obvious reasons. The engine is dirt cheap and I can't argue with the RWHP at 14psi. I can run a track day at Thunderhill with 108 degree temps at 16 psi on pump gas, so I'm pretty happy with the set up. I do have Aquamist water injection which helps with that.

Re: the 18's 2 reasons

1) I like them

2) You can't get near the width with 17's without the height of the tire getting crazy. The rears on this car are the same height as the 245/40/17's I had on previously, the fronts are only a little taller. I needed/wanted more traction and the only way to get more meat and fit over the brakes was this way. They are a riducuous +5 upgrade from the stock 13's.

Anthony

'71 510 wagon, '91 Toyota Supra Turbo enging (327 rwhp)

Thanks. You can still open the doors. I positioned the flare on the car and marked everything. Then I cut the 1/4, wheelhouse and a bit of the door. You don't actually have to cut into the main shell of the door, just where the skin and shell meet near the edge ( I cut too much the first time). I welded the wheelhouse back to the 1/4, and welded the edge of the door to reattach the skin and shell. Then I riveted the flare on and cut it afterwards at the door line. Doors open like they always have. Since the rear ZG's are so symetrical I think you could use them on about any car. The great thing the tires don't rub at all, even loaded down.

Anthony

very impressive. i've always thought a 510 wagon would look good with flares and larger wheels. thanks for the proof!! i've had 2 opportunities to buy 510 wagons in the past 2 years and passed up on both to keep working on the z. i only hope another opportunity comes along. your work has inspired :D:D

Thanks again. I'm happy with the way the flares came out. I ordered them hoping they would work. It was nice not worrying about screwing up the paint when I installed them however. I may paint it at some point but everytime I think about doing that I change or modify something mechanically that takes all my cash. Next on the list is a rear suspension modification. Either a Ford 8.8 solid rear axle or an IRS set up based off of Ford T-Bird components. Willl make for a winter project I hope. At least I can cross off wheels and tires from my list. I don't imagine I will upgrade these anytime soon. I'm hoping to do my first track day since the changes in early October. It will be interesting to see how it affects lap times. My autocross times were quite a bit better.

Anthony,

your car is totally awesome :) and totally my style, if i move out to cali in a few years it looks like i have someone to hang out with hahaha.... why not look into the center section out of a c4 corvette and making custom axles for it ? if u get the right one the center section will be a dana 44. ill be looking into it myself this winter :)