HybridZ

Question for those with welding/Turbo knowledge

violacleff

I'm putting my IC plumbing together and it looks like I may have to take off the turbo to weld on this 90" bend. I took some pics of it. Could you tell me if it would be possible to weld this piece on without taking off the intake manifold or turbo? Second question. If I were to use silicone to connect it, would it be pretty safe at high boost provided I'm using the best grade silicone (which I am) beaded ends and t-clamps? I would rather do that than take this stuff off again as I'm sure I can't reuse the manifold gasket after having torqued the bolts down. Oh yeah, that brings me to a third question. Does anyone make a metal exhaust manifold gasket? and how hard would that be to frabricate ( for an experienced fabricator)?

Here are the pics I took of the Turbo/ 90' bend

Dave http://photos.yahoo.com/d__minus

Just undo the 6 bolts that hold on the compressor housing and take it off. You can then safely weld it.

That's what I did on mine. One little peice of slag will ruin your day. If you have the room which it looks like you do just hose clamp it. I am running a metal T4 gasket. They have a bead that crushes a little to seal so I don't think you could just make one unless it was from a soft copper. If the 2 surfaces are flat you don't need to run a gasket, I don't with the GN turbo on my truck.

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I was going to weld it was because I was told to use the least amount of silicone as possible. But if a good coupler will work, then I rather go with that, and use a heat shield to protect it. Speaking of the heat shield, I have seen to types: the wrap, and the Stainless hard one. Is there a difference for the use of these and which would you recommend?