HybridZ

My BRE Replica 240z will be on TV

rc's240z

I was recently contacted by The History Channel, they asked to borrow my Z for filming an upcoming show called "Full Throttle" a reality show where two teams have two days to modify two datsun 240z's and race them..winner gets both cars...

The History Channel interviewed John Morton and Trevor Harris (of BRE fame) and My car is parked behind them for the shoot. The show will air on the History Channel between October and December...Keep an eye out for it...

Here are a few photos.

932DSC00669_2_.JPG

932DSC00657_2_.JPG

932DSC00656_2_.JPG

Man, talk about the perfect show..... :shock: they finally got one right, not even Monster garage or OCC did this one.... :D I will tape a tv show for the first time in about 20 years, lol. We have a lot of nice cars on this site, but I have to say yours fills a very exclusive category all by itself. It is totally appropriate that it should get this kind of recognition. Congratulations!!

Oh yeah, the possible downside to this.... They arent picking HybridZ member for the contestants are they? We will have to see if they can be "recruited" lol

Guest bluex_v1

I'm not finding any info on the show... Do you know what the nature of the racing competition(s) will be? Since they took interest in the BRE car, hopefully it'll have some road racing focus.

The focus in the episode is drag racing the two cars and they were looking to John and Trevor for tips on how to drag a Z. BRE did drag race their 510 a little to see what it would turn.

But this show is about 240Z's specifcally and is the first of six episodes that are being filmed, although it might not be the first shown...

I beleive that they have already cast the team members to build the cars...although I have no idea who they are. But I am sure both cars will be a form of Hybrid. :)

Guest bluex_v1
-- I beleive that they have already cast the team members to build the cars...although I have no idea who they are. But I am sure both cars will be a form of Hybrid.

I found this http://www.garmentandcitizen.com/cgi-bin/garment/00027.html

Pete White is one of the competators. (I wonder if this is the same Pete White with the long hair at the rear of the car: http://www.draglist.com/photoimages/Photos-2002/Jungle%20Jim%20at%20NHRA%20Ontario%201972.%20Note%20the%20JJ%20logo%20in%20the%20grille.%20Photo%20by%20Dave%20Milcarek.jpg)

Looks like he is probably not going to do a hybrid since he mentions 'rebuilding' the engine (and the motor :roll:).

Looks like we'll get a little proletariat propoganda in it too :wink:

The article speculates the competition between the Z's is likely to take place here

http://www.pomonaraceway.com/

Chap, it is very likely you did see my car on I-5 on the way up to Nissan...

I live in North San Diego County and would have been hauling it up or back from Nissan. I would have been on an open trailer towed by a GMC truck.

We will be running it back into the shop to finish the last few items so that it is road worthy. Sport Compact Car has contacted us for a feature on the car...which we will do as soon as the car is in drivable condition.

Look for that to come to your newsstand soon :):):)

R

• 1 month later...

1971 Datsun 240Z.

Airs on Sunday, November 7 at 11:00pm ET pn the History Channel

In this episode, Japanese hustle meets American muscle! The Datsun 240Z was the first affordable people's sports car. We get an up-close look at the 1971 Datsun design engineering that proved light years ahead of its American competitors. Diving into their overhead cam engine, we tear it down and build it back up for a head-to-head drag race at full throttle! After supplying two teams with the classic cars, garages, tools, parts, and 20 hours of repair time, we hold an old-fashioned drag race on a legal, certified track with safety devices for the drivers. As we follow the teams, we interject history at each step they take, including factory footage and interviews with the legends behind the vintage vehicles. TVPG

For more information you can go to http://www.historychannel.com.