HybridZ

Dream Baby... DREAM!

Guest freedomfighter

Guest freedomfighter

OK, I've been pouring over everyone's posts. I have completely run the search engine into the ground (which works rather nicely, I might add) And I find myself forming a rather strong opinion as I carefully plan for my '73 240z's Extreme Makeover. My question to all you with VALID EXPERIENCE on these matters is this:

"If money was absolutely NO object... if you had a completely unlimited bank role... what would your ground up HybridZ be?" :shock:

Now, I must ask that you slant your answer towards this desired result. The finished Z must own the track. I have very little interest in quarter mile sprints... I'm talking wide open, unlimited V8 road course ownership. Come on people, I know there have got to be some dreamers out there. I'm just dying to read what you all have to say! :D

Guest freedomfighter

Hey now... the Z is the perfect platform for this very discussion. Even with a BMW, Porsche, and a Ferrari in the garage... this would be a fun and rewarding project. For me it's personal. My Z was my first car, and I have dragged the in-op heap all over God's creation for the last 12 years. It's finally time to bring her back to life. I have committed $8k to phase one of the project and have a budget of roughly $70k over the next two years for the entire car. Of course I'll go up if I need to, we'll see. I thought it would be cool to hear what you all would do if you were building the ultimate Z toy without limitations.

The main thing i would get if i had an unlimited money pool is the Mine's BNR34, A super built and balanced RB26DETT, I have video of a skyline with one of these engines in it and it's insane, It even scares race car drivers.

"The engine is fast, the brakes are strong... why is this so fast? This is unbeatable"-Orido :shock:

Oh yeah i would also put the whole R34 GTR drivetrain in it too. :twisted:

money no object. Cast the L28 in titananium ("bored" out to 89mm). Serious head work on the P90. Upgrade all internals . Twin T3-04 turbos (all upgraded). Intercooled with CO2 injection, custom mandrel bent piping for exhuast and intercooling. Custom intake manifold,fuel rail,aluminum radiator, oil cooler, upgrade the A/C system for R134. Big (650cc-750cc injectors), silver core spark plug wires. All titanium exhuast. All titanium spaceframe chassis. Coilovers all around. All carbon-fiber body panels. Chromoly roll-cage. Big 13" brakes all around with 4-6 piston calipers fed by stainless lines. Custom headlights/taillights. Custom rims cast in aluminum. Custom interior. Awesome carbon-fiber stereo (painted though. The 350Z 6speed tranny with a good clutch. And the end result would look somethin like this. Thats it in a nut shell w/o boring you to death.

If money were truly no object, then the amount of customization would be so large that the choice of baseline car would be almost irrelevant.

That said, starting with a Z, I would consider designing front and rear suspensions (probably unequal A-arm) from scratch. For the engine, I’d build an all-aftermarket big block Chevy – aluminum block (Rodeck or Merlin, for example), 4.5†bore and 4.0†stroke (comes out to about 510 cubic inches) – and go twin-turbo. I’d use one of the new aftermarket 6-speed gearboxes, and an aftermarket version of the Ford 9†rear (for example, Mark Williams) in a custom center section suitable for independent rear suspension. The engine would mount far enough back that the driveshaft would be maybe 8†long. The I’d build a chromoly tube frame to connect the various parts together. Composite (perhaps carbon fiber) panels would bolt to the tube frame to form the body. The outer mold lines (that is, the body shape) would go through several iterations of wind tunnel testing, aiming towards minimum drag and suitable downforce. Finally, I’d rivet the original VIN plate to the door jamb, and call the car a “Zâ€. :-)

My guess is that the engine alone might be pushing $70K, by the time the turbo plumbing, the oil system (dry sump, of course!) and the electronics were sorted out. The frame, welded professionally, would probably be another $50K, not including the custom design work and the stress analysis. If all the design, testing, fabrication and assembly work is done by professionals charging retail prices and labor rates commensurate with their expertise, I’d expect this car to be pushing $1M.

This would all be in a 240Z with NO rust and a full cage......

Engine...

LS2(yes LS2 not LS1) completely balanced and blueprinted. It would have super low compression so that it could handle say 20psi of boost on a supercharger. I would go with say a Procharger of some kind. All the internals would be forged and ready to take a 250HP shot of NOS when needed.

Tranny...

Deffinetly a T56 but built up to handle all the extra HP/TQ. A twin or triple disc clutch set up.

Differental....

Complete Viper rear end with a Quafie LSD

Suspension...

Fully adjustable shocks at every corner. Double A-Arm suspension up front and the Viper suspension in the rear.

Body & Wheels....

Probably just run on some 18's in the rear and 17's up front. 18's are easier to get in wider sizes. Not sure on brand or type but they would super light weight.

The body wouldnt be too fancy just some ZG bolt on flares and a nice 3 piece rear spoiler. Of course I would want a nice front air dam of some sort. It would be nice to have functional belly pan and rear diffuser(but that would really require wind tunnel time and R&D) I would have it painted Candy Apple red with black flares and all teh windows would be tinted.

Brakes...

Nice big 13" rotors at all 4 corners(or bigger) with some 4-6 piston Brembo calipers.

Exhaust...

All polished stainless steel. True duals that come out the rear skirt (like blueovals Z..... :rockon: )

Thats about it I think? :D Not too over the top :D:lol:

Guy

To keep it brief and exclude the bolt in things, I'd get a body/chassis stress analysis done then work out how to dramatically stiffen the whole show. With a minimum of intrusive bars. So it will drive like a proper race car on the left and rights.

Then flare the guards out and run wide big polished lip deep dish wheels.

Suspension? Basically OK, look at making sure that vertical movement is not unduly impeded when pulling a lot of side G.

Engine? Probably a V of some sort, mainly because to CofG of a V is lower than an inline job.

And to one up Guy, a titanium exhaust system :twisted:

Guest quadcamZ

Blue ovalz 's car or

R34 running gear widden the body through the middle by 10" (someone is working on it) and the QF45 with low mount twin's or a RB26 OS gieken 3.0L kit which ever takes your fancy

with fully intergrated cage and tube front end swinging modified skyline suspension all round. with carbon walkoff front end and hatch.

keep us posted of your thoughts