HybridZ

Man arrested for going 140 mph over limit**UPDATED**

Tim240z

:shock::shock::shock:

Man arrested for going 140 mph over limit

September 21, 2004 04:16 PM EDT

WABASHA, Minn., Sep 21, 2004 (United Press International via COMTEX) -- The Minnesota State Patrol pilot couldn't believe his stopwatch when he clocked a motorcycle on U.S. 61 traveling at 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Al Loney told Tuesday's St. Paul (Minn.) Pioneer Press. "I had to double-check my watch because, in 27 years, I'd never seen anything move that fast."

In fact, Looney said the motorcycle was traveling faster than his airplane.

Loney radioed another state trooper, who stopped the two motorcyclists Saturday and arrested the faster rider, Samuel Armstrong Tilley, 20, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license -- and driving 140 mph over the speed limit.

Tilley, by the way, is the son of a Washington County sheriff's deputy.

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper Tilley might have set the record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

Haha, you think? :P

Hyabusa's are speed limited to 186mph IIRC. It's not a big deal to remove that limiter. Not sure about the speed limiters on the Honda, but I am pretty sure they have a similar system.

I don't really have much trouble believing the guy hit 205mph on a 1000cc sportbike for some reason. Even if the guy with the stopwatch was off by .25 a second (which is really unlikely in practice, and if you can't get within .25seconds with a stopwatch, you shouldn't be flying a plane) its still 194mph...

well i personally have ridden up to 190 on a modified yamaha r1. Mods being some mild motor and electronics work. There were no parts on the bike that werent on it stock. Your right, once you get over 130 you better have your shit together cause bikes are twitchy, expecially sportbikes. I was wearing a full suit of armor(riding gear helmet boots 1 peice suit..) and the bike had a modified riding position, and it still took all of my concentration and ability to stay within 2 feet of the line(i was on an airstrip). So 205 on the street?? i believe it can be done, but the kid mustve been an experienced rider cause it takes alot of skill to control a bike going that fast.

Guest freedomfighter
Simple... TUCK! Lay down on the tank and keep your helmet behind the screen... Trust me...

Mike :D

Exactly... 170 on a modified '91 GSXR-750... smooth as glass. The fastest I've ever gone is 185 in an '03 BMW M5... I've done this several times. :shock:

Well, I know for a fact that a 'Busa with an intercooled GT3540R will hit 200mph in less than a quarter mile. That's at 30ish psi (540RWHP) out of 1348cc using C16. In 'street trim' w/o bars, it runs low 8s at 180. (320ish hp). We have no idea of the top end speed, but the gearing should be good to 240ish mph. Down 3 teeth on the rear and up 2 on the front sprocket. You have no idea the amount of Busa and Gixxer turbo kits this company manufactures and are out there being street driven. The US distributor will call and order 10 or 15 at a time. Mostly driven by 18-25 year olds. Latest kit - Harley Vrod, for the more well-heeled.

In fact, Looney said the motorcycle was traveling faster than his airplane.

No doubt, likely was flying a Cessna 172, I've flown helicopters faster than that tin can.