HybridZ

What clutch setups are you guys using?

Im looking at clutches right now for my l28et borg warner t-5 combo. I want to be making around 260-290 hp within a few months of the car running. SO Im looking at spec clutches http://www.specclutch.com/specMain.html Im mainlyinterested in the stage one. It says it can hold 390 ft lb, Im wondering if it will hold up to regular trips to the track and some beating on the street. And the best part I found it for 244 or 294 for the stage V, either way Im looking for some suggestions.

Thanks

Guest bastaad525

Stock clutch disk with Daikin heavy duty pressure plate. Running about 230-240hp to the wheels, 260-270ft lbs of torque (was 226rwhp at 12psi on the dyno and super rich, since upped boost to 14psi and leaned out a bit)... put maybe 3000 miles on it so far. Works GREAT, with great pedal feel, WAY WAY less stiff than when I was running my ACT 6 puck and pressure plate. I drive it pretty rough, VERY rough some times, lots of high rpm slip clutch launches to get the turbo spinning off the line, and have yet to get the slightest hint of slippage. Best part about this setup? It cost me about $130 total for the set, no joke. Jmortensen was the one who suggested running a stock disc with HD PP... after I had been convinced that there was no way the stock disc would hold this much power. After seeing the extreme amount of accelerated wear caused by the metallic six puck clutch to the flywheel and pressure plate (which lasted me roughly 20,000 miles before needing to be replaced), I think I'll stick with stock discs from now on, at least until I hit the limit. Driveability on the street is MUCH nicer, that's for sure... obviously much smoother egagement than the six puck.

Yes Bastad, I know your pain.. :D It sucks to have your new Alum flywheel and new preasure plate chewed up due to those 6 puck/button metallic disc.

I had a SPEC stage4 clutch kit that demolished my new Findanza 240mm flywheel surface. They are just to harsh.

I wish I'd of known that little trick you spoke of with the mix and matching of different clutch parts, to come up with a strong, yet smooth set up... :burnout:

I just have never been able to have both of those qualitys together in the same clutch, at the same time.... :rolleyesg:

Guest Cronic

I hear good, and bad things about spec. Im told don't get anything less then a stage 3.

Im running stock clutch right now, and it recently started slipping. Not bad considering Im making 324ft/lbs of tq, and 266whp.

If you do some searching on here there is some information about running an '87 clutch and P.P. combo. It's supposed to have great charateristics and you can get it from Nissan. You will have to have the flywheel redrilled so the P.P. can bolt up. Look for post with the author name" Lockjaw" He runs that setup and have gone deep in the 12's with it. I oersonally run an upgraded disc with a H.D. pressure plate. Works great but, it does take alittle getting used to. It's not quite as easy to slip and it does take it's toll on you in traffic. On the up side it doesn't tear up the flywheel and is smooth and predicable.

Looking at the Spec website it looks to me like the Stage Two would be something worth tring out. 450' capacity and it's not one of those 3,4, or 6 puck disc. I tried a 6 puck disc in the past and well it sucked. :? I only ran it for 1000 miles. That was one rough 1000 miles thou. In all honesty, I wrecked the car after that so I'm not sure how it would have been after more miles.

I'm using the spec stage 2, 240mm clutch (kelar disk, 320.00 delivered). The Spec guy said there is a 1000 mile break in on kelar clutches so they will slip for awhile then hold (so he says). The clutch did slip on me at 15 psi but doesn't slip at 11 psi. So, I'm going to try it for awhile and see if I can turn my boost back up to 15. The spec stage 2 clutch feels great and is very smooth which makes it nice for street use. Before I used the spec stage 3 (6 puck spring loaded ceramic) and it didn't slip at all but the chatter was terrible at low speed.

My car makes decent power, hauling a full interior 280Z (AC, big stereo, sound proofing, carpet , and spare tire) and me to 108 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Well...According to http://www.geocities.com/z-car/specs/

my car should weigh 2875 from the factory. I think I added about 70 lbs to that even after removing the bumpers and mounts. So I think the car weighs 2974 plus 200lb with me in it for a grand test weight of 3174 lbs. 108 mph in a 3175 lb car should be about 311 hp.

((108mph/234)**3)x2875=311 hp

I know that I should get that car weighed!

Guest Chris240turbo

I did run a CFDF for about 5000 miles, I ended up grenading 3rd gear, when I pulled it out, the "organic" side of the centerforce was nearly down to the rivets, although the other side looked fine, I replaced it with an act 6-puck sprung hub clutch, and have had no problems with it. had maybe 4000 miles on it when I pulled everything back apart for the current round of mods, and the clutch looks fine, although the CFDF seemed to grab quite a bit harder, and pedal effort is noticably heavier with the act.

I used to run a CFDF and it worked great until I got to about 300 and then it started to slip while in 5th gear with a load. It would grab after about I got the RPM's up and really move then. As far as it being used up quickly, I've heard that before and I did not experience that I also had a rear main seal leak so that could have been part of the proublem. What I did see was that the prssure plate and the flywheel had several hot spots and didn't look very good. I think that was mostly due to the slipping though and not the material being used.

About 1yr and 30 track runs on my 240mm ACT HD PP and hybrid street disk with a 2+2 flywheel and still grabs excellent. Made the last 4 passes with BFG DR's not a hint of slippage @ 18psi. The pedal pressure did increased a bunch over stock but, i guess you get the good with the bad sometimes. It's specs are to hold 400' and I have no idea where my Z is HP or torque-wise but sure it's nowhere near 400'. Good luck.

I am running a Clutch Specalties 225mm 2600lb pressure plate and sintered iron disc.So far it has held more than 500rwh on slicks ay the dragstrip.Clutch specalties also built the clutch in my NA N20 car which was a quite streetable clutch at a reasonable price and it was a Kevlar composite on the flywheel side and a six puck on the pressure plate side so I had no issues with wear surfaces on an aluminum flywheel being destroyed with 260rwh and 280fpt. Again this was for a 225mm clutch a 240mm would hold that much better.

http://www.clutchspecialties.com/