HybridZ

Democrats please explain something for me.

cyrus

I too am one of those "on the fence" type voters. I dont claim to be a donkey nor an elephant... I think both camps have good points and both camps have skeletons in the closets.. I personally feel that polititions in general speak with forked tounges out both sides of their mouths... I hope I dont offend any Hybridz that may be a politition.. I also feel that Bush has had an Sh$#t storm thrown at him and in general he has done well considering what he has had to deal with... I also think that we as Americans are not looking at the long term.. we all know the term "Rome wasnt built in a day".. Well, NO economy or nation can be turned around in 4 years. From reading this thread I see that that people in both camps seem to pick 2 issues that they feel SUPER strongly about and they will vote for that person solely based on just TWO important issues...

There are thousands of SUPER important issues at hand and I long for the day when a cantidate comes around and can address at least most of them without having to talk out of his backside....

I would vote for a guy that:

1. didnt talk out his you know what..

2. didnt take crap from any country or forign govt.

3. respected the wishes and dreams of all americans

4. spent more time taking care of domestic issues

5. doesnt have a closet full of skeletons

Man I could go on and on, but I guess I have already counted both of them out!!

Myron

and YES, I dont no crap about politics..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far this discussion of Democrat vs. Republican has been dominated by economics; raising or lowering taxes, abolishing or increasing entitlements. And this makes sense, if one subscribes to the idea that most people vote according to what’s best for their own wallet.

But in this election, especially, my choice is confounded by the social issues. As a stockholder and relatively “affluent†person, at least according to the tax codes, my preference would have been Republican. But it seems to me that if you’re not an evangelical Christian, there’s no room for you in the modern Republican party. I support abortion, physician-assisted suicide and gay marriage. I oppose the display of the 10 commandments in public places, oppose amendments banning flag burning, and oppose “faith-based†initiatives. Socially, that pretty much makes me a lefty, right? But, I support gun rights, oppose affirmative action, and support the death penalty. Which makes it difficult to be a Democrat, either. But one has to choose; and for me, the rejection of adherence to a “moral blueprint†makes it impossible to vote Republican.

Then there are the issues of foreign intervention. I thought that it was the Democrats who traditionally want to use American taxpayer money and risk American soldiers’ lives to “make the world safe for democracyâ€. And as I recall, it was W., back in the 2000 election cycle, who derided the concept of “nation buildingâ€. But how does that jive with the reality of the past 4 years?

Following Cyrus’s original statement, I’d like to pose the following question:

Why is it that in modern times we’re seeing such a close alliance of pro-business, free-market interests – with socially conservative interests?

This year, I’m voting Libertarian.