HybridZ

Suggestion for a L6 turbo manifold...

JMortensen

Sorry if this is a total waste of time, I don't even have a turbo, but I've been reading a lot of the turbo posts lately, just because I'm bored. I keep looking at the turbo manifold and thinking that it looks pretty crappy for flow.

Has anyone taken an NA exhaust manifold and made a turbo header out of it? I know you have the manifold with the two outlets, seems to me you could then run 2 mandrel bends towards the front, then maybe 2 more up to a flange and bolt the turbo where it would be easy to access. Might be able to get some access in there too, make the thing easier to work on since you could unbolt the turbo, then the custom tubes, then the manifold.

I guess I just had this thought when I was reading Mike's latest post about fixing his blown motor and he mentioned hogging out the exhaust manifold.

If you read up on the NA manifolds they are supposed to be pretty damn good, to the point where there isn't that much of a benefit from a header on an NA until you get the engine pretty seriously built. There are some dyno sheets on zhome.com IIRC if anyone is interested.

My old-school BAE turbo kit had a cast-iron U-bend bolted to the stock 280z manifold. It was really good at warping the flange and blowing the gasket. Eventually, I welded the two pieces together. For efficiency, I believe that the stock turbo manifold would out-perform that setup due to the proximity of the turbine inlet to the head. But, Who knows? I never tried them back to back as that manifold has a Ray-Jay flange on it instead of a Garrett T3 pattern.

Doug

Has anyone taken an NA exhaust manifold and made a turbo header out of it?

thats what the Hulk uses. forgot what year but MSA sells a aftermarket header which is the same, its cut and made to work.

its also coated too.

spoke to a few people and it works awesome.

mike

IMHO, if you are looking to make less than 400hp you do not need custom manifolds. What I would recommend is manifold that moves the turbo forward that would give more even cyliner flow into the turbo and allow you run a full T04 with room for a good DP. A simple log-style manifold made from weld-els would do it.

I have discussed this with a buddy of mine and he could make such a manifold with the correct flanges and supply it with a nice DP, IF THERE WAS INTEREST.

I know Scottie, I have been holding my tongue on that one as well. There always seems to be "interest", but rarely anyone who is willing to step up to the plate. Without going too deep into it, a friend of Scottie's has stated a fabrication business. He is currently making log style manifolds for the import guys. I had asked about possibly making a log style manifold for the L6. He said that he could do either a T3 or T4 style manifold (either one or the other, I would prefer T4 as T3 stock manifolds are readily available), provision for an external wastegate, and 3" stainless downpipe and wastegate dump for ~ $500. I think that this would be a steal!!

There would be a couple of caveats though... Everyone would have to run the same external wastegate to ensure fitment of the dump to the downpipe. Everyone would probably also have to run the same style turbine housing (4-bolt or v-band) to ensure fitment and he would want an initial run of 10.

Still, for $500, it is a bargain.

Scottie, I know we were going to discuss this further before posting anything, but between hurricanes and life in general, it has fallen by the wayside. If I have missed anything, please fill i the blanks.

I know everyone wants to see pictures, but there aren't any at this point. Just want to know, is there any serious interest, or should we not follow up?

I have discussed this with a buddy of mine and he could make such a manifold with the correct flanges and supply it with a nice DP, [b']IF THERE WAS INTEREST.[/b]

I would be intreasted in one that fits doesn't need further work and flows well. I know this may be asking for to much but, some sort of testing to show the improvements would be nice also.

Z-Gad

I guess your post hit as I was writing mine. Honestly that would be a big investment for a car like mine to go from a T-3 style housing and change several things over. No dought it's a great deal but, I'm not sure now. Count me in the intreasted file but, at the bottom depending on what it would cost to change all the other parts.

BAE, Crown, and SK all made the adapter you speak of...

The Corwn one was the worst of the bunch, being made of mild steel tubing.

But the SK unit used a stock exhaust gasket, and sealed great.

I still have one, for what I have no idea, but it's just soo cool looking, and it doesn't take up much space....

I have seen the BAE unit, and it looks a lot like the SK unit, except the SK unit uses a T3 flange....

Cool, huh?

The bell group also made a cast adapter for the N42 NA exhaust manifold, its L shaped, with the bottom corner of the L an outlet for a wastegate, flange is T4. I'm using this right now on my 240Z, I really like the way it throws the turbo up front, and gives you plenty of room for a 3-4"DP I have now idea how it performs as the milage i have on the 240ZT is 300Miles at best. Im sure that a stock T-Manifold performs better. I just used what I had.