HybridZ

Which Shifter is best for a T5 and Camaro Bellhousing?

Guest TBroZ

I've got a World Class T5 I'm mating with a SBC and need a shifter. I've read that one will need to straighten the shifter to compensate for the 15º tilt from the bellhousing. Is there any shifter for the T5 that is made straight? Any aftermarket suppliers? I've got a chance to buy a T5 shifter from a '94 S10 .

There's also this one I found on Ebay: Pro T5 Shifter for Mustang It looks straight...and possibly adjustable. Big $ though.

Guest greimann

If you have used the the Camaro bellhousing that tilts the trans 15 degrees, then any Camaro / Firebird T5 aftermarket shifter will work because they are made with the angle built in. Hurst and B&M are two that come to mind.

The difficulity is if you have used a bellhousing that mounts the trans straight up (like I did). The aftermarket shifters are all bent, requiring either straightening them, or machining a wedge and adapting it between the stick and shifter stub (like I did).

Mustang T5 shifters will not work because they have a different bolt pattern.

I used a WC T5 Camaro trans and Camaro BH in my son's 240Z sbc V8 conversion with a B&M shifter made for the Camaro T5. The shifter has a bend in it. The B&M shifter works great. You can see a picture on my photo site below. I bought mine from a local speed shop in Sacramento. Summit also sells the B&M shifter for the Camaro T5. Be sure to specify it is for the Camaro T5 trans.

Miles

I looked at the B&M shifter, but while I was still deciding, they changed it. The early ones had a bolt on stick, so you had lots of options, but the new ones the stick is fixed. I bought the Hurst Comp Plus for my ZX T5 just for that reason. Something to consider...

So a cool dude named Mike D. gave me a stock shifter from a

Camaro. I noticed it's quite long. Is this the main problem with the those...length? I think the short throw shifters will work better. I'll be able to get it rolling with this one...I think. Unless it hits the dash. Well see...gotta wait until I get the bellhousing to install it all.

Terry

So a cool dude named Mike D. gave me a stock shifter from a

Camaro. I noticed it's quite long. Is this the main problem with the those...length? I think the short throw shifters will work better. I'll be able to get it rolling with this one...I think. Unless it hits the dash. Well see...gotta wait until I get the bellhousing to install it all.

Terry

Terry, I don't think the shifter will hit the dash, although you can run a tap down the shaft and shorten the shifter by an inch or so. Otherwise, an aftermarket shifter is certainly the way to go. I'm looking at Hurst Billet and Pro 5.0 shifters. :-D

Davy

I do like what I've seen of the Hurst shifers...'cept for the price. $200 seems like a lot for a simple mechanical device. I understand they're billet and all, but still...$100 or so seems more appropriate. I'm sure I'll end up getting one eventually.

TK

I dont know the T5 series of shifters, but for T56 stuff the Pro 5.0 is widely considered the best, without a doubt, for clean shifting. Not the shortest throw, but the cleanest, sounds like the best to me.

They can be shaved down as well if one desired a shorter throw, or you can buy a "short stick."

I went and sprung for a Hurst Billet/Pro shifter. New on Ebay for $160. After getting the stock one given to me today, it became obvious why is was given to me.

TK