HybridZ

Declaration of Independance banned at school

auxilary

some people seem to forget that the reason this country was founded was on bassis of escape from religious persecution. The majority of the ideals on which our (i hate this word) Forefathers founded this country/wronte the constitiution/declaration were christian ideals.

Im not trying to stand in a soapbox its just ridiculous the things some people will do to change some thing they personally dont like.

Before we go all loaded for bear, it would be good to put this story in context. The reason the teacher's assignments had been subject to review was that the early ones had a specific and direct point of view. In this case a religious point of view and not one in the school's current teaching plan. The teacher then decided to use selective passages and materials to make a case. Being on double secret probation, the school system then decided to take action. This isn't about Freedom of Speech or not allowing the John Adam's diary to be used in a school room, it's about using them to teach a very specific message....

Like gnosez said there is something personal going on in this case. Here is a clip of the California content standards for the 5th grade:

5.5 Students explain the causes of the American Revolution.

Understand how political, religious, and economic ideas and interests brought about the Revolution (e.g., resistance to imperial policy, the Stamp Act, the Townshend Acts, taxes on tea, Coercive Acts)...

As for Christian history being discussed in the classroom, here are some of the standards for the 11th grade:

11.3 Students analyze the role religion played in the founding of America, its lasting moral, social, and political impacts, and issues regarding religious liberty.

Describe the contributions of various religious groups to American civic principles and social reform movements (e.g., civil and human rights, individual responsibility and the work ethic, antimonarchy and self-rule, worker protection, family-centered communities).

Analyze the great religious revivals and the leaders involved in them, including the First Great Awakening, the Second Great Awakening, the Civil War revivals, the Social Gospel Movement, the rise of Christian liberal theology in the nineteenth century, the impact of the Second Vatican Council, and the rise of Christian fundamentalism in current times.

Cite incidences of religious intolerance in the United States (e.g., persecution of Mormons, anti-Catholic sentiment, anti-Semitism).

Discuss the expanding religious pluralism in the United States and California that resulted from large-scale immigration in the twentieth century.

Describe the principles of religious liberty found in the Establishment and Free Exercise clauses of the First Amendment, including the debate on the issue of separation of church and state.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/hstmain.asp

Before we go all loaded for bear, it would be good to put this story in context. The reason the teacher's assignments had been subject to review was that the early ones had a specific and direct point of view. In this case a religious point of view and not one in the school's current teaching plan. The teacher then decided to use selective passages and materials to make a case. Being on double secret probation, the school system then decided to take action. This isn't about Freedom of Speech or not allowing the John Adam's diary to be used in a school room, it's about using them to teach a very specific message....

Where did you get that? I heard an interview with the teacher in question and that's not the "context" I got. Whut up wit dat?

What was the specific message that the teacher was trying to convey?

What is double secret Probation? Is that a term actually used by the board? :lol:

LOL

Where was the Christian God when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

wasn't it japan that bombed pearl harbour. My american history isn't the sharpest.

Read the complaint to find out what the specific problem was:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1124041declar1.html

If you look at Statement of Fact 40 it says that the following were prohibited:

a. Excerpts from the "Frame of Government of Pennsylvania" by William Penn

b. Excerpts from the Declaration of Independence

c. Excerpts from various state constitutions

d. A handout entitled "What Great Leaders Have Said About The Bible"

e. "The Rights of Colonists" by Samuel Adams

f. Excerpts from George Washington's journal

g. Excerpts from John Adam's diary

h. Excerpts from "The Principles of Natural Law" by Jean-Jaques Burlamaqui

i. A handout entitled "Fact Sheet: Currency & Coins - History of "In God We Trust"

As far as I can tell the only one of these that isn't a PRIMARY SOURCE is the Fact Sheet handout.

We've got really serious problems when we turn away from learning history through primary sources because they aren't politically correct.

Of course this is the statement of facts from one side only, so there may be more to learn about it, but I can't see ANY reason why ANY part of the Declaration of Independence should be off limits for study or discussion.

Guest 77vegasz

Isn't everything that school teaches taught with a specific point of view?

School after all is a place where knowledge and societal norms are outlined for our children in a way that the system feels will produce nice little drones. We teach about everyother cultures religous beliefs to educate our children and help them understand where these cultures come from, why then is it taboo to teach them the christian roots of our country?

I am not a religous person, but I believe it is an all or nothing proposition, teach it all, or do not teach any of it. I am tired of tolerance for every culture but our own.

Jon

What is double secret Probation? Is that a term actually used by the board? :lol:

LOL

Where was the Christian God when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

He was teaching people that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor! :lol:

I'm glad someone is old enough to remember where that reference came from (Animal House). As to point of view, anyone can prepare and present a lesson plan or speech with a specific and/or potential bias or a slanted version of whatever passes for truth, justice and the American way (Superman, the second TV series not the first with George Reeves) these days. Let's take all the prohibited passages and only teach from them, therefor leaving out the context in which they exist. You could make up a lesson plan that excludes any other subject matter but a religious one or any other topic or idea you wish. I just think this is one of those conflicts which will need some time to pass so we can separate the "real" issues from those presented by either side or the media. There's lots of stupid or dumb things that happen every day and my wife thinks I'm behind most of them.....