HybridZ

Whats your cars theme?

sulla

Just wondering if I am the only one that works out a theme for a car before I start buying things? For the Z I am about to start its going to be a late 60s early 70s sports car / race car theme. For example I am wanting to go with vintage looking rims but more the Daytana Coupe look not the small z size vintage rims. Maybe 17x8 Mustang Bullit rims or something. Also I am wanting to go with the aluminum or crome bullit type racing mirrors or Raydyot racing mirror like they used on most of the race cars back then. Also when I get to paint and other details of the cat I will try to stick with this theme.

What kinds of themes if any are you guys working at doing?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Z..

well i never had a theme for it, just wanted a badass old Z..

wanted to make it have a classic look yet semi modern... think i have done that.

Blue Z..

well i made up my mind on one thing.. i want to have a part of every car era from american to import in it... so it will feature a oldschool theme paint job from both american and import and i want to include some new Euro style in it and maybe some little custom touches.. want it to just look like a mean MEAN street car... nothing more.

mike

I think mine is a "OMFG.. its ALIVE!!!" theme.. :lol: Most people would have crushed it into a cube, the shape it was in when I got my Z.. I had to paint it white, cause the body is NOT straight (I'm not good enough yet to make it perfect, and can't afford a $5000 body shop bill)

I went for a sleak, but fairly stock look. 14" rims kinda suck, but the slot's are just.. cool. :) I HAD to put the 'whale tail' on, and do a roll pan in the rear, mould the air damn.. and left only the 2 Z emblems behind the quarter windows.. keeps most folks guessing.. it's kind of 'cobled together' from a few cars, but it gets looks from people age 13 to 33 to 63... And I get a smile on my face EVERY time I drive my Z.. Really, evrythng I did to my car was just becaue.. I wanted to, and I liked it.. I guess the real theme is.. "Me.. in automotive form.."

It’s definitely good to have a “theme†or plan in mind before starting on your project. The problem is mine keeps changing. At first I thought I was going to do a Z-based Ferrari replica kit car. Then I thought I would do a subtle-Z conversion. Now I’m just keeping the exterior pretty stock with updated wheels and tires that will just fit in the stock fenders. The engine plan was LS1/T56, but after considerable research I determined it was going to be too expensive and time consuming and switched to an LT1/T56. I now have a complete drivetrain waiting to be installed after I finish rebuilding my front suspension, upgrading my brakes, and cleaning up the engine compartment. I still have to figure out the final paint scheme, interior upgrades, etc.

It’s good to have a plan, but I think a lot of people make plans and then wind up making changes to their plan. Can anyone else relate to this?

THEMES.........I think a theme/style is crucial in a cars final attitude. :twisted: Even though every single one of does it differently....you can ALWAYS tell how well someone thought their plan for the car out. (Vince..shut it ! :cry: )

The Green Mettalic 73' Turbo now has Veilside 3-piece wheels,Veilside steering wheel,Veilside stainless exhaust,leather interior,Titanium and stainless hardware,insulated like a Lexus for sound ,even the interior plastics are fabric covered and insulated.(who cares,right ?)

I just wanted Vintage basic lines and trim mixed with tight handling,smooth power,no rattles/squeaks, air con.,power windows,power locks ,hidden sound system etc.

Vintage mixed with some later tech>theme ! 8)

Soon to be wearing a barrage of Carbon Fiber goodies !! (after I get everyone else's done... :roll: )

The early 260 is all Old school parts,triple Mikuni's,turbo blow through,Centerlines,roll bar,Tenzo-R rally seats (ok,not so OS)

.................................................Vince :P

I like the "minimalist" approach. I like the open space which feels more sporty to me, and it's nicer when you drive a long way. I'm lightening the car by taking off all the heavy stuff that doesn't need to be there, like a/c. Then I cut the console off just behind the switches & I'll put the fire extinguisher where that was (still need a place for the change holder, for toll-booth money). I've already modified the rear deck to flip up for storage, and cut a hole for the full-size spare (only 'heavy' thing in the car).

Also removing certain things from the top of the L28 engine that it doesn't really need (EGR doesn't work any way) Just need to retune the computer or AFM for the correct mix. I like to have room for working under the hood, room for airflow, and looks cleaner, too.

I'll probably redo the carpets in the end, with vinyl over the hump and carpet for your feet.

Light low and Loud is it's current theme.

The car is stripped down as far as I currently can, although I know I can pull more weight out of it. My goal is to get the car under the 2000# mark wet with sub frame connectors. The original paint is still covering most of the car heavily oxidized. I would like to repaint is a similar orange with a single white stripe starting with a pin that V’s out on the hood bulge and runs all the way back. I hope to go wide when I go lighter also. The current 305sbc runs little exhaust and leaves little imagination to what is under the hood, but even with a stealthy exhaust it’s hard to hid the lope shake associated with the American small block under the hood. It’s so loud and threatening sitting at a stoplight that I cannot drive though town without getting piped or staged at a light. But ppl still looks surprised when they get spanked??? I like it the way it is now. It’s very raw, ugly, and unrefined. But do I make it a sleeper, or go wide and balls literally hanging out dragging on the asphalt?

Guest ZracecarZ

I like any modification that stays true to the original design or looks like it was a logical evolution. The beauty of the Z is that just about any "vision" works. It takes a really poor choice to make a Z look bad.

Originally I had planned on using manufactured fiberflass mods but decided to custom fab everything. What I've got so far is basically one of a kind. Plus I have a deeper appreciation for anyone else that has done their own part fabrication.

My theme is always changing. Right now the theme is Crayola Crayons. It has so many different colored panels that all I need to do is put it in a box.

Lucky for me the the main color that is missing is the Rust color.

I'm thinking of adding Green and orange and changing the theme to a Color Wheel.