HybridZ

Ford 5.0 Modular Cammer Engine

RacerX

• 2 weeks later...

I hate the modular engines...Boat anchors. Why would anyone spend 15 grand on a 400 bhp 5.0 when you could get a all forged 351w windsor that would blow that to bits. Much rather have this http://www.sidebysideengines.com/products.html#410

Now thats what i call a 15k engine. These new modulars are really a let down to me. What i dont understand is the 4.6 has the same stroke as a 351w now the 351 never had to thin of cylinder walls wich is mostly the reason for stepping down the bore size. So basically for took the nice 351 took away its already reliable bore, took away the hi reving short stroke of the 5.0 liter added enought inches on the motor so it was nice and plump and made a middle of the road engine at best. Could you imagine if ford would have made the windsor or cleavland all aluminum. Chevy`s performance branch would be dead and gone. To me an engine is only as good as its its platform. The modular has no reving compared to the 302 and no bore like the 351w. Very sad to me.

Chad

I've got nothing to back me up on this, but I feel the RPM potential of the modular engine is better than the 302. This is based on a better head design, a longer rod length/stroke ratio (both of which contribute to the engine's larger physical size), and a few other minor changes. Potential is different than actual, but I'm curious, what is the OEM redline for the modular motor verses the 5.0 redline (no Cobra comparisons please).

Dont know what redline was stock on the 5.0 but the 4.6 gt 2 valve is 5,600 my friend learned the hard way that these engines dont like winding when he had his comp redline redone to 5950 and 300 miles later blew the engine. That was with a 4000$ head job and basically every bolt on and n/a part availible. The only advantages the 4.6 has over the 5.0`s are ones ford should have done to a new 5.0...Think about it. The 4.6`s best attributes are the OHC, All aluminum engine and more efficient FI system my whole theory is Stay with the light small bigger displaced 5.0 block or even 351 and make it even lighter with aluminum higher reving with ohc and slap on a more advanced fi system. I guess what makes me the most upset is that they didnt stick with what they knew. Why does chevy have such a leg up on new fords...the 4.6 is the awnser. While they got smart and went to dohc advanced fi system and kept the same displacment that has worked since the 60`s ford decided to make a bigger heavy smaller displacment engine. I think they shot themselves in the foot. Think about the camaro ss ls1 engine, for my friend to even compete with a ss he had to dump 5k in his motor right away, and the worst is if the camaro owner dumped in 2k he would still kick his ass. And why is the engine inferior not because of technology but displacement. Think how crazy a 351w with dohc [no push rods] that was all aluminum with the modern fi system would be...It would be a vette killer.

Chad

• 2 weeks later...
Dont know what redline was stock on the 5.0 but the 4.6 gt 2 valve is 5' date='600 my friend learned the hard way that these engines dont like winding when he had his comp redline redone to 5950 and 300 miles later blew the engine. That was with a 4000$ head job and basically every bolt on and n/a part availible. The only advantages the 4.6 has over the 5.0`s are ones ford should have done to a new 5.0...Think about it. The 4.6`s best attributes are the OHC, All aluminum engine and more efficient FI system my whole theory is Stay with the light small bigger displaced 5.0 block or even 351 and make it even lighter with aluminum higher reving with ohc and slap on a more advanced fi system. I guess what makes me the most upset is that they didnt stick with what they knew. Why does chevy have such a leg up on new fords...the 4.6 is the awnser. While they got smart and went to dohc advanced fi system and kept the same displacment that has worked since the 60`s ford decided to make a bigger heavy smaller displacment engine. I think they shot themselves in the foot. Think about the camaro ss ls1 engine, for my friend to even compete with a ss he had to dump 5k in his motor right away, and the worst is if the camaro owner dumped in 2k he would still kick his ass. And why is the engine inferior not because of technology but displacement. Think how crazy a 351w with dohc [no push rods'] that was all aluminum with the modern fi system would be...It would be a vette killer.

Chad

I wind my DOHC 4.6 to 7k all the time... It has over 130k miles on it.... 60k of which have been supercharged. There is nothing wrong with the new modular motors. I even have a big bore 5.0 in the works, aiming at 600whp. The modular motors are getting cheaper, and with a bit of dsplacment, they are very sick motors.

There are some of the DOHC Mod. Motors showing up now that are reasonably priced. Saw one for around $1,500 the other day out of a Lincoln. Don't know if they will fit in a Z tho, I'll have to get some dimensions on my Son's MK VIII when I get a chance.

The thickest part of the motor will fit in between the strut towers on the Z, but I dont think anyone would EVER be able to get any sort of exhaust manifolds to work.

When I pull the motor out of my cobra, I may have to drop it in the Z to actualy eyeball the fitmen.

The thickest part of the motor will fit in between the strut towers on the Z' date=' but I dont think anyone would EVER be able to get any sort of exhaust manifolds to work.

When I pull the motor out of my cobra, I may have to drop it in the Z to actualy eyeball the fitmen.[/quote']

I might find out soon. I have a low mileage 98 Cobra engine and T45 sitting in my garage. I just bought a 72 240 last week for my girlfriend. WE're going to make a autoX/track car/weekend toy out of it. I've had a 97, 01, and 03 Cobra and the they are fantastic engines. The 97 and 01 would rev to the 7250 rev limiter real smooth and real quick. The 03 was brutal but fun.

I'm finishing up my big block Factory Five Roadster build and the 240 will be next. The guy I bought the 240 from pointed me to this forum....good stuff.

I built FFR #1180K in 1977, it was the 180th one made. Drove it for 5 years and sold it to a guy in Hawaii.

I am now building a Ferrari 250 GTO replica witha 350+ hp 302 with a Tremec TKOII tranny. Has anyboby thought of using a Mustang II front end? You don't have to worry about the struts and the power steering bolts right on.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

as a owner of a mark VIII and a 280z I have had the mark VIII for about A year that is a very fast car 0-60 6.8 seconds Quarter mile in 15.3 at 98 MPH, put it this way mustangs are a joke racing.the engine I have is as tough as nails I red line it at 6,000 every day I am trying to decide on 4.6 DOHC or 350 small block chevy the 4.6 has out lasted 2 350's already if you do get a 4.6 do not get the mark VIII transmisson they are made to fail from the factory. get a mack I or something. for the exuast the stock exuast off of a Mark VIII should do fine haven't tested it but the mark engine bay is smaller than the 280z.

here is my 1993 mark page

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/744970

I don't think the problem is getting it in the engine bay but getting an exhaust system that will not hit the steering shaft and will fit between the framerails. Measure the frame rails on the Mark VIII and compare them to the rails on the 280Z. Let us know what you find as there are several of us that are interested in doing a modular swap into a Z.

Wheelman

what would the benifets of the 4.6 VS 350? any infomation would be helpful like the weight of a 350 vs 4.6 I do Know the 4.6 tends to (wind up) more. Speaking of crappy trannys my marks is going out again the last one went out in july. I have to change the O2 sensors so i will try to get measurments. What do you think of my Lincoln?

well I jacked the car up and took a look If it does fit it will be very tight the biggest problem I found would be the engine hight, I don't think It will clear the stock hood.The other problem is all the wireing and figureing the computer out and seeing what sensors are manatory sorry but I lost my hope. well send me a privet message if anyone needs measurments or pictures.

• 2 weeks later...