HybridZ

Autometer 5" installed in stock bezel

DaleMX

I was able to fit the Autometer ProComp 5" Tach into the stock bevel mount. This retains the stock plastic lens and fits like a dream. The whole procedure took about 30 minutes. I carefully removed the Bezel by prying the metal ring off from the back a little at a time. Then I removed the innerworkings and took the white plastic base down to my bench sander and removed the front flange. Then I cleaned it up and pushed it in. The fit is perfect and 1 screw will hold it fine. When I get it installed into the car I’ll give a report. I still have the speedometer to mount.

http://www.circuitflex.com/ProComp1.jpg

http://www.circuitflex.com/ProComp2.jpg

http://www.circuitflex.com/ProComp3.jpg

I did the same thing but I had to cut the tip off the indicator needle as the automotive needle is a touch longer.

The result looks factory perfect, I did not have such an easy time with the smaller gagues, in the end gave up trying to figure out how to fit them so that they looked stock.

The stock turn signal bulbs were just grounded to the tach frame, so I just grounded the LED's to a strip on the firewall. I could have grounded them at the back tach mount but I had installed a nice ground strip in the car last year so it was easy to do that.

Dale, that is GREAT work! Love how it turned out. I, like others posted, just don't have the balls to start cutting up abrand new Autometer. I have all of my Autometer Phantoms laid out in 'arrangement' in the spare bedroom (aka - "the parts room") just anxiously anticipating the day that I'll be putting my dash back in the 'project'.

As far as the 'idiot lights', I think that I'm going to play it safe and put them on the custom aluminum heater control panel that another hybrider designed and laser cut for me (thanks Brad!). I would prefer to do it the way that you did, Dale; but, just not that courageous...

The panel is packed away in storage, since I'm so far away from a completion. Unfortunately, I have changed internet configurations (and computers) a few times since that hybrider helped me out, and I can't locate his emails in my archived desktop (I've looked everywhere).

Go to the member search (I know, it will be tedious....but, worth it!) and search under "Brad D". He is in Canada, which will narrow it down. He is REALLY nice, if you show him that same courtesy, and does beautiful work. I had him customize mine from his original design, whereby, I eliminated the map light and made provisions for two additional 2 1/16" gauges.

Hope I helped, and hope Brad doesn't get pissed if he gets flooded with requests...I'm real proud of how it turned out. I WAS going to have an original look....guess I blew that one!

Hey there.. THe gauge pod is from a miata. I did have to do some triming as well as take my heat gun and heat the plastic up then mold it around the A pillar. Seemed to work great. I plan on doing the LED blinkers as well.. but not really sure where I will put them yet..

Jamie: what size is the gauge you put in the driver side vent? I think that looks neat. What gauge is that? I plan on replacing all of my gauges eventually with the autometer ones..

detail?.dir=63c6&.dnm=2970.jpg&.src=phHere's a pic of my set-up. Very smooth install.

wigenOut-S30' date=' what pillar pod is that in your pic? I've been looking for a 2 guage pod? Thanks.[/quote']

Hey cool. I heard the Miata pillar would work with a little massaging. Thanks for the info! I'll have to give it a try. Does it matter what year miata?As for the vent: It's a 2 5/8" guage (same as the 3 oem replacement guages). I simply removed the chrome vent piece and stuck the guage in the hole. It was such a TIGHT fit that I didn't bother doing anything else to install the guage (other than wiring, of course). The guage is a volt meter. BTW my car is a 72. If I end up getting a pillar pod I may remove it so I can have the vent back. Hope this helps.