HybridZ

HELP tire hitting coilovers!

Guest V8Z

I just put coilovers from MM all the way around my 240z, also changed over to five lugs. Well, I barrowed a set of my friends 17x8 factory mustang wheels with 235-45-17 on them to bolt on and take some measurments before ordering my new rims. The backspace measured 5.75 from were the hub contacts to the outside of the rim. The fronts bolted up great and even look like the right backspace so they are fine, but it's the rear that is giving me some trouble. I put on the rotors and bolted up the wheel and tire and it fits great in the fenders but is hitting the ground control aluminium spring perch. I do not want to run the parch up anymore cause I love the low ride height and if I put a spacer on it I'm afriad it will make the tire stick out past the fender. So, What do you guys think, spacer, run perch up, or change the backspace?

Any photos? Is the perch a larger diameter than the spring, and if so, by how much? Is the perch sitting even with the rim, or at the tire's section width, or somewhere else? I'm wondering because perhaps a sleeve or narrow spacer of sorts, between the perch and the bottom of the spring, may give you the needed space by allowing you to lower the perch below the wheel's rim, but still maintain the ride height you desire.

I'd go 8" spring.

You could also try to make some 1/4" spacer out of what ever you have lying around, for mock up porpuses. I'd just use some wood or something.

Isk

The camber plate won't change the relation of the stut tube to the tire.

I'd go with Isk's suggestion and try a 1/4" lug centered wheel spacer. Coleman Racing sells some billet aluminum ones. They are kind of pricey but much better than the crappy tire store ones.

Here's what I did with my stock fendered Z, coil overs and Mustang 8 inch wheels with 255-45-17s... I used a 1/4 inch wheel spacer with the tire mounted to get the sidewall to clear the perch... You can also run 1/2 inch spacer and roll the inner fender lip with a piece of pipe... Most of the guys are doing this to give more clearance.

Keep in mind, I was running the ground control 12 inch springs, so your 10 inch springs should be fine... now I am running 10 inch springs, and they are on the car in the pics..

If you have access to yahoo... go here and you can see the wheels on the car... It is the car with the primered back half and white fenders/ doors

http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z

Mike

Camber plates will not change the relation of the wheel spacing to the strut. When you move the strut in (to change the camber) the wheel will move with it, they move together as one unit. You will have to change the offset or the location of the spring perch. A spacer is probably the cheaper way to go, thin spacers (1/4" or so) probably cost less than 2 8" springs.

I put 1/4 in. worth of spacers- washers on the rear and it spaced the wheel and tire away from it where it is not hitting. Probably around 3/16 in. space. Do you guys think that's enough? Take a look a the pictures below, it really didn't make the wheel in the rear stick out as far as I thought.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=1137&password=lokkiteb&sort=1&cat=533&page=1

I'd put a 1/2" spacer in there. Looks like you've got the room for it.

Do you have long studs? You'll need them with ANY spacer on a Z. The stock studs are really just barely long enough.

I believe the 2nd Gen RX7 studs are what I have, they are 12mm x 1.5mm threads, and they press right into the stubs without having to redrill or any of that crap.

I had my rear stub axel redrilled to 5 lug by Ross at MM, and he press in these extra long studs, so there is plenty of room for spacers. Does everyone agree on the 5.75 backspace all the way around in the pictures? Cause I want to order my wheels this week and want to be very sure on the backspace.