HybridZ

OK, I've been holding out...2JZGTE

Z-Gad

Well, Scottie, I couldn't hold out any longer..

http://rick.thebowersplace.com/ZGad/nov12004058.jpg

I have been pretty closed lipped about my progress thus far. I wanted to post some pics once I had made significant progress into the swap. The photo above was a test fit, but now the engine and tranny are mounted in the car. I took some more pictures today of the mounts, but have to wait for someone to host them for me and will give more detail at that time...

Anyway, here are the specs..

71 240z.

Stock 2JZGTE long block, I chose to go w/ the TH400 (no transbrake) due to the indestructability of the tranny, and less driveline shock on the R200 LSD (3.36 gears) w/ Z31 CV's I am running for the time being. With 87 lb injectors, SDS engine management T72 bb turbo, T88h manifold, Greddy Type R wastegate 3" intercooler pipes and a custom bar and plate intercooler (Thanks James), 3" stainless dp and exhaust, SX fuel pump -10an feed to the engine bay, splitting to 2 -8an feeds to the fuel rail... I figure I should see 600rwhp pretty easily and weigh in around 2650 with me in the car. It should be pretty interesting.

I get the car back from Scottie's friend's shop (MAZWORX) mid to end of next week with piping completed. We are just waiting on aluminum intercooler pipe and stainless downpipe bends.

My goal is to be able to run at the SEZS 5 event March 20th.

Damn!! Nicely done!!!

Don't forget to put in your TC rod bushings :wink:

Tim

DOH!!

I better make a note of it :wink:

Thanks all. the color is Datsun yellow 112 (AKA lime) with a green pearl added to the clear coat on the exterior.

The paint is new, but there are plenty of flaws, so a show car it is not...

It was painted in a neighbor's driveway...

And yep.. now everything else ...

With the motor sitting where it is, it easily clears the hood (probably 2-3 inches or more). The turbo outlet will be clocked downward w/ a 90* bend welded to it, avoiding the hood as well. It is moved back as fas as possible in the engine bay, maybe 3/4 inch from the firewall and 1/2 inch off of the steering rack, so weight distribution should work out well. I removed the stock hood latch mounting bracket to do so (I'll be using hood pins in it's place).

Looks awesome Zgad!

Did make masurements for the mounts that could be duplicated? Also is your 2JZgte a rear sump originally? Most 2jz's I see are front sump but yours looks to be rear sump. Did you move the orginal cross member at all? If not, your new crossmember sits just in front of the original one? Is that correct?

thanks,

oatmilk

Oat - The gentleman who made the mounts wants to see how well my "engine monut cradle" holds up before making duplicate mounts. They should be pretty straight forward for him to copy. It is my understanding that US spec 2JZGTE's are mid (rear) sump pans. The J-spec motors are front sump. The front sump would interfere w/ the oil pan. The cradle sits well behind the original crossmember. I'll measure it out if you like...

Wheel - I preferred to weld to the rails to stiffen the frame. I also thought that if it were bolted through the frame, the amount of torque the engine will produce may make the bolt holes oblong over time. The oil pan is maybe1/2 inch below the original crossmember... if that. The tranny pan is slightly lower than the oil pan, maybe 3/4 of an inch below the front crossmember.