HybridZ

Please give advice with gauge placement (PIC)

Hi all, I'm trying to decide where and what order to place my new gauges in my new dash.

I need your opinions on which gauges you would place where. If it were you, which would you feel were the most important gauge you'd want in what spot.

I have 6 I'm working with:

oil temp

oil pressure

water temp

dual channel EGT

fuel pressure

Boost

These are all electrical gauges, so the sensors are not a problem.

Please give me your best shot, so I can try to make a decesion and fasten them down for good... :-D I realalize I'll have to try and put 2 of them in a pod or make up something, like in my sun visor or something.

I want to keep my air con/ heater controls, so the center panel is off limits.. :roll:

EDITED PIC SIZE 1/30/05 :-D

Dashandgauges0010.jpg

I'd put them in the dash in this order, (left to right); Water Temp, Oil Presure, Boost, and fuel presure in the lower left dash. (where you have the Oil guage sitting) The EGT and oil temp I'd put in a pod on the 'A' pilar, or wherever else you were thinking of mounting...

Guest tony78_280z
why not put 2 gauges outside on the cowl like i did.. works awesome and even looks sweet.

I thought of that once. Don't you have a problem with rain, snow and stuff getting in them?

I thought of that once. Don't you have a problem with rain, snow and stuff getting in them?

nope, sure dont. im moving my boost gauge out there next as i want to see that at all times, where it is now in the clocks old spot doesnt suit me well.

mike

My thought would be some jacka$$ would cruise by and try to twist them off for himself... [img']http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/rant255.gif[/img]

i go to a school where theft is bad and its all car guys... so far no problem for the last 8 months.

i drive the car everywhere, leave it at malls, movies and etc.

and i live in houston where ppl steal EVERYTHING!

mike

I have gauges (less important ones like volts, fuel level and oil temperature) mounted under the glove box using the autometer triple bracket. I was able to use the factory nissan screws that hold on the glove box. I just had to drill one hole in the bracket. The look pretty good there (or so I think) and they do not interfer with the passenger's leg room at all.

j., i've been kicking around some ideas for when i upgrade my gauges and think i may build a pod to house 2 gauges that will be integraded "onto" my steering column cover. i have an extra that i'm going to mock up. my design will be to have 2 x 2 5/8" gauges side by side, high beam indicator above and in the middle, with my turn signal indicators on either side and check engine light [for the ls1 pcm] below the high beam light. i plan on doing them all in correct color led's. of course, if we could talk vinny into doing the steering column cover in cf...

that keeps the gauges in my most direct scan pattern, my fresh air vent and heater control panel unmolested and nothing on top or near the dash top.

done rambling...

This is an option I'm going with.

I will have the two visors re covered with black strechable material so the backside will kinda form around/over the gauge wires, and it won't be that noticable when in the up position.

I liked the looks of that visor setup in the RB26 in a 240sx video link I posted in the obove post. It places several gauges out of the way until needed.

We'll see how it turns out. After all, the visors are dime a dozen... :-P

GaugeinVisor0003.jpg

GaugeinVisor0002.jpg

GaugeinVisor0001.jpg

I like it!! The old gauge in the visor trick and the wires can all be hidden behind the front trim piece...

I'll probably do some pillar mount deal, maybe integrated into the roll cage... dunno yet for sure...

BTW nice dash :-)

I mounted my boost gauge onto my steering column cover and will later integrate a boost gauge/controller and EGT gauge into the same spot but with a custom carbon fiber cover. its a great spot for guages as you dont really have to move your eyes that much to get the vitals. I do like the idea of a couple of gauges mounted to the cowl....very old hot rod look. I also have a A/F ratio gauge mounted in the face of the stock tacho......

I will get back to work on that car in due time!

there is an enough space between the stock tach location and the triple gauges to put one gauge there. The hole saw is your friend. Ask forrest where I put my boost gauge.

Yes, I'm glad you did that because I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to...but it's a great spot! If I can find my camera memory (looking grim, been lost for several months) I'll post pics.

There isn't a chance in hell I'm cutting a hole in my new dash.... :shock:

I went today and bought all the material, traced out the holes, cut the material, then dropped everything off at my step moms to sew the visor mod all up. I bought some thin padding, diamond stich padded black cloth, and some spray adhesive, all for $15.

It will come out very trick, and I will take the pics when finished.

• 2 weeks later...