HybridZ

KA 5 gear swap using Z bellhousing; The low down...

datsunlover

Ok, it's not as easy as it may seem... From what I found online (here and elsewhere) and what I saw with the two trannys sitting side by side, it looked farily straight forward. Not quite... In case anyone was curious about this ($100 for a 5 speed that apears to be stronger than the stock Z/zx ones is still a good deal, even if theres a few mods..) here's what I've had to do to swap the 4 speed Z bellhousing on to the KA trany;

*note; I am using a 75 280z bellhousing*

1; Put Z countershaft bearing onto KA shaft. PITA to remove, easy to tap on.

2; Drill out 1st-2nd shift rod hole to .630" (5/8 ), chamfer all three holes. I measured the KA rods and the one I have, they are about .010" biger dia. than the Z 4 speed ones. The holes are a little oversize, but I found the rods 'picked up' a bit at the start, hence the chamfering.

3; Mill Z bellhousing on the backside where the first gear on the countershaft interfears. (preses against it and locks the trans up. Very anoying.) I milled aprox .050" deep.

4; Mill out 'pocket' in front/inside cover plate (what the throw out bearing rides on) to allow clearance for 1st-2nd shift rod. It apears the KA rod is bigger in diameter AND length/throw, so there isn't enough room without milling it deeper. Took me a while to figure out why I lost 2nd gear..

Other issues; Remove fill plugs and any swiches (reverse, top gear, nutral) before trying to slide the bellhousing on. They hang up and push on the shifter rods, which jams the trany. Once jamed, it is a HUGE PITA to free up.. yup, take it apart again. :roll: Even so, it is still tricky to get the housing on, push it straight on the countershaft bearing, and NOT push the rods..

I had an even harder time with this as I bent the rods a little (I think) when the stupid thing fell off the work bench. :x It was sitting there fine, I turn my back to it for a split second, and BAM it takes a nose dive off the table. There was some swearing and throwing of tools... But at this point,(finaly!) it is all together and apears that all gears work. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the mount modified, and I'll update this post.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am unsure what milling you found necesarry for the front case to clear the gears an also the machining of the inside cover?

I am running an 240 SX 5 speed in my car for maybe 6 month? I did no machining other than the pilot hole, shifts through all gears just fine, never kicked out of gear or had any binding of any sort? perhaps something got knocked silly when you dropped it? and don't forget your driveshaft, I can't rmember which shaft I used, 71 or 78? but I used the shorter of the 2 and had to cut off the colar that would slip into the Z tranny and shortened the shaft by about .75 inches, it woud go in without shortening but it was wedged

also the 24SX uses a few sensore that you'll want to plug or your gonna have a few extra sensors hanging out of your tranny

Well after I droped it, I compleatly dis-assembled it and checked evrything out.. all seamed well, but I'm sure something got bent/out of shape. As for the milling, if you've used the z bellhousing, you know what the front cover piece looks like inside right? (5 bolts hold it on) There is an oval slot on backside that the shift rods slide into, and for some reason on mine, when the rod slides forward (for 2nd gear) it contacts the bottom of that slot too soon.. I'm about to head out to do some more work on it, maybe I'll figure out what's going on...

I can't remember which inner cover I used? may have used the 240sx cover? but mine didn't have clearance issues, youmight want to try the sx plate and see if that works, and yeah I have the Z front case and the only thing I did was to open up the hole for the 1st second shift rod and I did grind the other holes with a stone just to chamfer the openings a bit

I can't remember which inner cover I used? may have used the 240sx cover? but mine didn't have clearance issues, youmight want to try the sx plate and see if that works, and yeah I have the Z front case and the only thing I did was to open up the hole for the 1st second shift rod and I did grind the other holes with a stone just to chamfer the openings a bit

Well I ended up just using the 240sx front cover. I was going to mill out the Z front cover, but had a hard time holding it secure, and frankely I was sick of playing with the stinking thing. :lol: It seams to work, and it's not leaking anymore. I'm just gona throw it in the car and drive it.. if it blows up, I can get another 240sx tranny cheep, and at that point it'll be alot easier to swap it. (all the drilling/milling/ect is done now)

The only thing that wories me is that the 240zx cover has an internaly bored 'pocket' for the countershaft bearing in it.. which is now to big, as I'm using the (smaller) Z countershaft bearing.. I'm hoping it doesn't allow the shaft/bearing to 'walk' forwards allowing the first gear to contact the back of the bellhousing..

Thats wierd i managed to install the 240z cover with no problems. I stayed away from the 240sx because counter shaft pocket, but it probaly wont make a difference i dont think itll move, at least it doesnt seem to move when i had it apart. I got my tranny working ,it feels good. Im just working out some engagement problems i had before i installed it.

Thats wierd i managed to install the 240z cover with no problems. I stayed away from the 240sx because counter shaft pocket, but it probaly wont make a difference i dont think itll move, at least it doesnt seem to move when i had it apart. I got my tranny working ,it feels good. Im just working out some engagement problems i had before i installed it.

Heh, well after resealing the front cover AGAIN (damn leaking sonova...) I'm just gona hope for the best. It's a $100 tranny and I now have about 10 hours into it, so if it blows up 3 months down the road, I'll worry about it then. :lol: Even IF the counter shaft 'walks' forward a bit, I think the gear shaving off a bit of alluminum will be tollerable.. allum. is pretty soft, and the gears are quite hard (and sharp.. nicked my finger tip spining the bearing checking it) so it should be fine.. it's gona be a month of so till I get the car back together, and probly a few weeks after that for the weather to warm up enough to go for a 'shake down' cruise.

one lil tip, stick with the stock 240sx shifter if you like cut it down but do not use a short throw shifter and cut it down, I got my trans for free, had the hole bored and picked up a short shifter on ebay (mine came with no shifter) for $50 shipped, which stoop way too tall for my liking I cut 3" off it and rethreaded it, it is really hard to get third gear, there is maybe a half an inch difference side to side from 1st to 5th, the thing I hated about my swap is I have an early 71, which used a tranny with a removable bellhousing so i picked up a 76 tranny, and being an early car the trans mount is different, and I had to cut it up to make the new mount, so unless I can find a new early trans crossmember my tranny won't ever go back to OE, also can't remember which was shorter early or alter driveshaft but I used the shorter of the 2 I had and only had 3/4 removed from it (about $90 shortened and balanced)

• 3 weeks later...

Well Garrett and I modified his KA tranny earlier today. I had no idea what I was getting into, I wish I had read this thread earlier :twak: . Garrett will most likely chime in later to add to this. Well, here are some pictures...

3411_p57907.jpeg

Above, #1 was drilled out to 5/8". #2 shows the Z countershaft bearing in place of the KA bearing. (Yes, pain in the butt to remove the KA bearing! Had to modify a bearing puller)

3411_p57908.jpeg

Above, the area inside the red circle had to be milled out. I believe at least 3/32" was removed.

3411_p57909.jpeg

The picture above points to where a C clip should be holding in the bearing, but the bearing just would not come out any further. So, we elected to leave it off. Experts, PLEASE let us no what may happen if this clip is left off. The bearing is a tight fit inside the bellhousing. It can't go back into the tranny, and it can't come out, because of the cover. I guess, if need be, the bearing can be pulled off the shaft slightly to allow the clip to be put in place.

Well, this was very interesting to say the least. Learned a lot about these tranny's and this whole 'modification'. I was just helping Garrett out, I had no idea what I was getting myself into :mrgreen: .

!M!

Ok first things first . . . I want to thank Mat for being gracious and spending quite a bit of time/energy on this with me!

Just to clarify and wrap up. I used a 81-83 zx "b-box" belhousing. My KA tranny was from an 89 I believe. The only difference on the bellhousing it would seem is that you only have to open up one of the shift holes to 5/8". I reused the KA front plate and I was able to get that c-clip back onto the input shaft bearing, so no worries there. It shifts nicely through all gears and i should actually have it mounted in the car sometime tonight or tomorrow! Still hoping to make reynolds and a Thurs dyno appointment! AHHHHH!

Garrett

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Errmmm.....

Why are you selling this tranny set up? And what are you replacing it with?

Mike.

Yes i am going a different route with a z32 trans, but this tranny is in EXCELLENT shape and Im willing to be flexible on the price. Please let me know if you're interested.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was needing some specifics.

3411_p57907.jpeg

For this swap, do you use the KA input shaft with only the bearing coming from the l28? Or do you use the l28 input shaft and the bearing on the KA tranny? Also, I see 2 bearings in the pic, are they both l28 bearings or only the smaller bearing is l28?

Thanks.