HybridZ

KA 5 gear swap using Z bellhousing; The low down...

datsunlover

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once you get the front case off it'll be pretty obvious, the input shaft stays in place, the only part thet needs swapped is the countershaft bearing and the frotn case, other than that, just minor clearanceing and modifyling the crossmsmber and driveshaft, I ran mine with a 225 240z flywheel and clutch just because thats what I had, frotn case, throwout bearing, collar etc all stay the same it really is pretty simple once yotu get down to it

the number 2 u have is a bearing. take the one off your datsun 5 speed. and place on your ka tranny. the number one u have in that pic needs to be boared out. the reason for that is bc the shaft can not go in such a small hole. i forgot the size of what it needs to be borded out to bc i did the swap long time ago. this is me trying to recall info after a couple coronas

• 2 weeks later...

the whole purpose is to use the ka 5 speed, as the L 5 speeds are so hard to come by, so yes you use a 4 speed front case, you can use the front case from any L series tranny save fro the early series with the removable bellhousing and the t-5 which also has a removable bellhousing

I picked up a KA tranny from the local PNP yesterday for $92.00. It came out of a 90 200SX. Sadly, I need to return it. When I broke it open last night the syncros and bearings were shot beyond imagination. 1st, 5th/reverse, and reverse idler gears were heavily damaged. There was enough metal in the bottom of the case to fill a teaspoon and then some. The kid driving the car must have been suffering from delusions of grandeur thinking he was some kind of super race car driver. I wonder if he ever used the clutch! You could actually move the countershaft away from the mainshaft such that the gears would nearly disengage. As for the bellhousing, I will take my 280Z housing to my machinist and have the bearing opening enlarged, the face milled .038 inches, and the 1/2 rod hole reamed to size.

Picked another 240SX transmission (89 model). I'll be buying reverse idler and o/d gears from David at Courtesy (along with more gears to fix the close ratio boxes). It seems everyone misses fourth and grinds reverse when shifting hard and chips these teeth up. I'm building up two other close ratio boxes and another wide ratio box. There's already a wide ratio finished and ready for someone to install. All of these have or will have new KOYO or NACHI bearings, brass syncros and non-damaged gears throughout. If someone is interested in a 5-speed box just PM me. The one thing I haven't determined yet is how the speedo housing/gear will work in the KA box. That trans has the VSS with a larger driven gear and larger drive gear too. I've yet to determine if the smaller gear of the 280ZX will engage properly when the housing is clocked for proper installation.

Picked another 240SX transmission (89 model). I'll be buying reverse idler and o/d gears from David at Courtesy (along with more gears to fix the close ratio boxes). It seems everyone misses fourth and grinds reverse when shifting hard and chips these teeth up. I'm building up two other close ratio boxes and another wide ratio box. There's already a wide ratio finished and ready for someone to install. All of these have or will have new KOYO or NACHI bearings, brass syncros and non-damaged gears throughout. If someone is interested in a 5-speed box just PM me. The one thing I haven't determined yet is how the speedo housing/gear will work in the KA box. That trans has the VSS with a larger driven gear and larger drive gear too. I've yet to determine if the smaller gear of the 280ZX will engage properly when the housing is clocked for proper installation.

Supposedly it will engage. I believe from the info I've read on the swap you use the Z speedo gear and housing. Supposedly it fits. How much do you charge for a wide ration trans ready to drop in?

It is dependent upon what parts are required to do a proper build. The box I have has good gears, new bearings, syncros, seals, sandblasted and painted case. It is ready to go and would be $300.00 plus shipping. You would have to swap over your shifter, boots, and throwout bearing, I could provide the shift fork or you could use yours. Since you are in NC is is likely you could drive over to pick it up though if you're interested.

It is dependent upon what parts are required to do a proper build. The box I have has good gears, new bearings, syncros, seals, sandblasted and painted case. It is ready to go and would be $300.00 plus shipping. You would have to swap over your shifter, boots, and throwout bearing, I could provide the shift fork or you could use yours. Since you are in NC is is likely you could drive over to pick it up though if you're interested.

Very interesting...I'm really tempted, but unfortunately at the moment short on funds. Still trying to get rid of this MSII ECU so i can get my bearings for my stroker build.

I feel your pain. I have too much month left at the end of the money too. I have four more boxes to build. The rebuild kits are not cheap. Three of these will need additional gears at a cost >$200 per tranny. What one gets is as close to a new box as possible though.

so yes you use a 4 speed front case, you can use the front case from any L series tranny save fro the early series with the removable bellhousing and the t-5 which also has a removable bellhousing

So which years of Z bellhousings will bolt up to an l28et?

• 2 weeks later...