HybridZ

Nissan 5spd trans Vs. BorgWarner t-5

john kosmatka

Well guys the time has come for me to decide which tranny I should use, I have a 81' 280zx 5spd with 54k on it. And I also have a 83' borg warner t-5 with 68k on it. I want to know if anyone thinks its worth the extra effort to have a driveshaft made, and modify the trans mount to use the t-5 trans, or should I just throw the 81' trans in. Also which trans is stronger, Ive heard stories of Borg warner trans going but not so many for the Nissans, so whats your take?

Thanks,

John

my take... borg warner sucks an absolute big one... they are on the top of my to kill list.

granted all of shitty borg warner trouble i've had is with a fwd maxima but that doesn't mean it doesn't extend to all of their other trannies. i've heard of numerous people complaining about the bw tranny in the Z31's and i also know someone who's had an absolutely horrendous time with one in a camaro.

i personally would never touch a borg warner tranny with even a 10 mile long pole. the only thing that should touch a borg warner transmission is a ******* nuclear warhead... scratch that... one of those needs to be put in all of their manufacturing facilities so that no one ever has to deal with the **** that is made by borg warner.

that's just my opinion though. lol

from my experience, the BW isnt worth it man. They are extremely hard find if you need to replace it and everyone that has one wants way too much money for them. Its still a 20+ year old tranny! Anyways I would do the zx na or just use that bellhousing and swap in a KA tranny. I will be doing this swap this coming weekend. Cheap and they are all over the junkyards. Little research at KA-T.org states that this tranny is good for the 300-500 hp level stock!

I just got too frustrated with the T-5 and finally said "screw it."

I can't say if they are actually strong or not, as I have yet to get mine in the car (waiting for the engine to get built and returned to me) but I will say the KA tranny looks stronger.. There was a little work involved to make it fit on my 280z bellhousing, but hey it was a $100 5 speed. If it blows up in 3 months, so be it.. I'll find another KA with fewer miles on it (Mine has been rebuilt from the looks of things, but the car had 320K showing..) and at that point, it'll be an easier swap in. Also, I'm keeping the stock trans X-member so a swap back to a nissan 5 gear is possible in the future.. Like if I find another parts car for $100 (I'm bitter on this one.. had to get rid of one recently... I GAVE it away...)

I just got too frustrated with the T-5 and finally said "screw it."

Man and you were the first person I thought I could have sold my T-5 too, lol. Ive decided to use the N/A tranny, the t-5 was nice when it was in the zx(60k miles) but I think after repeated beatings Id start having problems, so Ill just throw the n/a tranny in, that way it wont be so hard to find a replacement if it blows.

Thanks for the input guys,

John

I've had a t5 in my 280ZXT for over 15 years: with a motor that was putting out about 280hp, then 360, and now over 400hp. I had it rebuilt 2 years ago (synchro's, etc., not a major rebuild) and last month I broke the driveshaft putting power to the ground with sticky 275's. Gear box is holding up just fine, but I do not bang gears when shifting. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

Would you guys that have not been so lucky describe your T5 experience: what happened and how, instead of just basically saying "they suck". That would be more helpful for someone making a transmission decision.

Would you guys that have not been so lucky describe your T5 experience: what happened and how' date=' instead of just basically saying "they suck". That would be more helpful for someone making a transmission decision.[/quote']

Agreed, although Ive decided on the nissan trans due to the fact it will bolt in then if it goes Ill use the t5.

Guest Carrman

Put a low mileage T5 in my car when I put the L28ET in. Ran it for about a year, treated it gently and used ATF in it as you're supposed to. Climbing hill one day while travelling out of town, rear end acted like I slammed brakes on and started wagging a bit. I was doing 70, put my foot on clutch and it straightened out. Got to side of road, trans would not come out of gear, and stick felt really wierd. Rode home on trailer, and pulled trans. Upon disassembly, found first gear had mated itself to the mainshaft, turning it blue around where the gear rides. I treated it nicely, and never banged a gear. Replaced it with a n/a 5 speed as I couldn't find a T5 reasonably priced. One side note, we rebuilt the Nissan box with a bearing and synchro kit, and the damn thing shifts very notchy ever since.......

I personally have had good luck with my T-5's except when tring to bang gears without letting off the gas. Needless to say it didn't take much of that for long. I think the proublems most guys are having in not breaking the gears or anything but, tearing up synchros. These trannies just are not ment to be speed shifted by owners in cars that are making double the orginal HP. If you want to run the T-5 then get a good shifter and adjust the stops accordingly.

John - I have had problems with my Borg Warner since I got my ZXT, I eventually got frustrated with it two years ago and pulled it out and gave it away for FREE!

I then went to the scrap yard got a regular 5speed for $60 out of a fairly low mileage 2+2 and it shifts perfectly and like butter...hot or cold. I have no regrets putting this tranny in, I had reservations to be honest (initially), but it is holding up perfectly - could not be happier.

Yasin

A couple of months ago I switched from the t-5 to na 5-spd. I never had problems with the t5 but then again I was only making 280lb-tq. The main reason I switched is I like the na gear spacing better. Also it is slightly lighter (5-10lbs). I am now putting down 400lb-tq and shift very quickly (no open throttle shifts) and have yet to have a problem. I think the na is the better transmission out of the two. Only prob was the long throw. So I made a custom short shifter and its all good now. :twisted: Hope this helps

I kinda like the t5 upgrade path, using the gforce innards. Having a Nissan trans rebuilt is the price of the gforce or slightly cheaper, and hitting the junkyards for trannies is getting scarier and scarier for me-half the zcars in the junkyards already have junkyard trannies in them, it kinda sucks when you go to grab a transmssion, and you see the yellow paint marker writing that makes it stick out as a double junkyard trans. Of course, this is coming from the guy whos about to run a L28et with a "frozen" 4speed.

I dont have a problem with my T-5, its done well with me and Ive been to the track quite often, and remember that Jeffp, was putting down over 400 whp before his started to give out.

I dont see where all the heart aches are coming from for the T-5, its been good to me