HybridZ

I took the wife out on a date Saturday night...

pparaska

Guest Anonymous

Bet Pete has a grin on his face a crow-bar won't pry off. Congrats Pete you have given us all something to strive for.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping I would see this day soon. For ideas ofcourse.

Looks Great Pete. I look forward to hearing some times and seeing more pics. I need a new background. :D Thanks for sharing so much to our community over the years. I'm sure you will have years of joy from your Z.

So, what do you have instore for upgrades now? :rolleyes:

Let me know what you think about the Road Dyno. It looks very interesting and just the ticket to play "what if?" w/o going to a dyno or the track. Wonder how it fares with an EFI/turbo setup as there seemed to be a lot of emphasis on carbs and coils.

Pete,

I'm alittle late checking in here, but none the less.

I know its been a LONG, hard, LONG, testing, LONG, frustrating...LONG road for you and the Z. But, let me tell you, it WAS worth it. Your car is on a higher level that commands a large amount of respect...which you have EARNED. When you add the finishing touches, be sure to enjoy the beauty, performance and compliments atleast as long as it took you to build it.

Congradulations on achieving your goal and thanks for all the tips along the way!

2thumbs.gifENJOY! 2thumbs.gif

Jason

Congrats Pete It gives the rest of us hope... I am now starting to understand what it is like to try and build a car, work, go back to school and be a dad... It isn't easy.... 11 years, well I am on year 2 and just finished the cage so I'm not far off if I dont get busy.... BTW I really like the color and the way it sits... You really should be proud that's alot of great work.... enjoy

Later Ray....

Guest Anonymous

Pete,

Your wife has great taste, I also love the wheels. Car is a 10. What are you going to do with all of your time now?? Mark

Guest Anonymous

It's nice to read these posts because I was getting a bit discouraged today. I have been pouring money and time into a 1989 5L conversion - mostly working after midnight due to family and work commitments; started about a year ago and did coil-overs, bushings, front brake upgrade, total rewire job via Painless with Autometer guages, and 5L + T5 install all at the same time...actually got the thing on the road this month and WHOOOOAA she's fun and fast but 1) it's overheating - probably need a different rad/electric fan setup 2) the engine is cutting out for some reason at 3500 rpm - don't think it's fuel delivery because I replumbed the entire thing with a good pump, good filter, 3/8 ID line...3) my engine mount is too close to my header and the rubber is smoking 4) my heater core is spewing tranny fluid onto the floor 5) the tranny mount I made doesn't have quite enough clearance and is banging into the mount bolts when I accelerate 6) the instruments are held in with hockey tape currently 7) I have a vibration due to a separated tread on my Radial TA's 8) My rear tranny seal seems to be gone as it's spewing oil onto my garage floor 10) there's oil showing up between the tranny and block - oh please oh please not a rear main 11) one of my wheels seems to be bent. More time and money. I think the only way to make sense of this hobby of ours is to look at it as a form of art, because it makes no rational sense. Why don't we all go out, find a nice Mazda Miata and drop a turbo in it for 1/100th the time and probably money...what keeps me going is the fact that I just plain love this car and when it is done I'll have something unique and deeply personal...and perhaps be divorced as well so I'll have lots of time to enjoy the car ugg.gif

It's late, but I will be in meetings all day tomorrow and I wanted to sign in and say thanks again for all the kind words. I'm trying to not get a big head with all this!

BTW, I had a pint too much fluid in the trans. I had drained it when I pulled the engine/trans last Summer, and I filled it through the shifter hole (easier), putting the required 3 quarts of Synchromesh in it. Stupid me, I never pulled the fill plug on the side later to check the level. I pulled it tonight with the car up and level and an extra pint poured out! Hopefully that fixed the dribbling. There's a seal in the bearing retainer between it and the input shaft (per Fred at Darkhorse Performance - he always is willing to answer my questions!) and I think I overwhelmed the seal with all the fluid. Either that was leaking or I didn't put sealer on the longer bolt I used in the bearing retainer for the hydraulic throwout bearing! I hope it's not the latter, because that means the engine/tranny comes back out! I'll know tomorrow.

Dr. Graham, that, the carb, the banging of the diff on the lower crossmember, it wasn't a clean "launch" out of the drydock. (Oops, ships get out of drydock quicker than 11 years - even cruise liners! bonk.gif ) Sounds like you're having a tough time of it - don't give up hope!

Sean, tha paint color is an Audi 95-97 color, Color name: Europe Blue Mica.

Color Code: LZ5T

(Be careful, Audi used the same paint color name for the later (98 and newer), but it's a lighter blue, but not as nice looking IMO. The paint code for that color is also close to the earlier, nicer color, LZ5K, not LZ5T as used on my car.)

Guys, I agree - the wheels do it. I can't take credit for really picking them - Jim Biondo did that years ago when he had them custom made. Without a wheel like that, especially with the polished rim, the car would not be as eye-catching.

Scottie, I'll let you know about the Road Dyno. I think the literature talks about using it on EFI as well as other stuff. All it is is a time versus rpm datalogger. The software does the rest (calculates the torque, hp, etc.) All it needs is a hookup from a tach signal.

I'll wait until I get the grill installed and the other mirror, and finish the interior before I do a photoshoot. Wonder how long that will be? :D

Thanks again guys. It's pretty amazing to me that people post here and email me saying that I'm their inspiration. It's hard for me to swallow. I'm just glad that anything I've shared over the years was deemed useful by others.

Cheers,

Pete - I'm a little late chiming in too, but I gotta say your car looks absolutely fantastic! I can't tell you how many times I've been to your site (2nd only to HybridZ) to educate myself on this project I've undertaken. All of the work you've done on your 11 year project is paying dividends for all of us.

As my car sits a bare shell on jack stands, I've made one of your latest pictures the background on my desktop to remind me of where I want my project to end up.

Congratulations on a job done extremely well! 2thumbs.gif

More photos!!!!!!!!! Puhleez!

Thanks for all the kind words :D .

Lone, it was supposed to be a surprise. I had lined up a babysitter a week ahead of time, and was THRASHING Saturday afternoon trying to get her seat mounted, etc., etc. She came into the garage a few times, saw the commotion, and said "I know what your trying to do..." Oh well, I'm pretty easy to figure out. Anyway, then she started helping me clean the windows, put in some rugs, etc. So that was cool.

Yes, she likes it. She always has like the car, but not the amount of time and money I spend on it. But she really does like it, loves the wheels the most, the paint next, and the engine after that :D . She even had me stop by a her friend's house that evening to show it off.

Of course, after all those years it was a blast to actually drive it. I took it down the street and heard a banging underneath. The diff was slightly banging on the front diff crossmember, due to the above-the-diff mount pushing the diff down so much. 10 minutes to jack it up, put som rubber between them, nylon-tie it, and we hit the streets :D . The carb is screwed, as the off idle sag is DEEP and it falls on it's face until you open the throttle enough for the power valve to get a low signal and then she pushes you in the seat. It's much easier to drive hard than easy :Drockon.gif . It seems pretty quick, even with two barrels running.

John - you funny guy - no valet will ever get the keys. Wouldn't do them any good anyway. I have a few tricks that need to be done to get it started :D .

utvolman99 - I had all the stainless (except the door & hatch locks) powdercoated semi-flat black. I just like the trim blacked out on a dark car.

Scottie-GNZ As soon as I break it in and get the carb issues straightened out, I plan on hitting the tracks - drag and road course. But I have a Road Dyno that I'll be using to do tuning analysis, etc., and some estimates of rwhp, usig their software. I wired a tach wire to the ashtray area, so hookup will be simple.

Now, to figure out why I have a leak coming from the front of the Tremec ... (leaks out between the bellhousing and the tranny - but the hole I drilled at the bottom of the bellhousing below the clutch is dry - so it's not a rear main seal).

Always an adventure!

Guest LIghtningZ

Damn sweet job pete tha thing turned out screamin!!!!!!!!!!! hey what kind of air dam is that and do they make the same one for the 280? b_hand.gif2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gifhail.gifrockon.gif

congrats on a job well done...although it seems that us Z guys...(or most any carguys for that matter) simply cannot ever "finish" a car.

i must say that when i first started my project...your site was one of the few where i analyzed ever last page...trying to absorb everdetail i could. you truly did a fantastic job on your car..its something that you should be very proud of.

hopefully one day i can see it.

congrats again....be sure to enjoy the ride!

Also late to chime in; but it looks great. Just a few questions tho.

On your date with your wife/did you get to second base? :D

What about the looks from other people; my car's bone stock w/faded paint & people are always giving me that second look (like is that a british car or german car; wrong on both accounts) so I'm sure everyone & their mother was eyeing your car...nice going!

One last statement....DONT EVER SELL IT; NOT EVEN TO PAY FOR THE KID'S COLLEGE TUITION! nono.gif

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)