HybridZ

Gran Turismo 4 for PS2.... freakin amazing!

Guest bastaad525

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest comeandzpa

I might be making myself look stupid cause I missed something, but...how? When I turned the game on for the first time it asked me if I wanted to upload and I said no. Now I can't figure out how to do it. Is there a place in the options menu that I'm missing? Or should I just delete it all and start over since I can transfer my licenses over?

And I agree that the autosave feature is really annoying. I appreciate not having to save it every time I pass a test, but I wish I could buy a car, find out its crap, and sell it again without losing all the money.

Not sure, I just said yes teh first time that option came on.

I sold my advance copy of the game, my gt3 skills still arent as sharp as I need them to be. We play the game a little different though, no VSD or TC devices and only hard tires, or simulation tires. We have all night sessions at $1 a game, the hardcore guys go 5-10 a game Im usually not up to the challenge, guys I play with are D1 drivers. When I play arcade style anything goes, you need to have some sticky tires and the opponents are definitely using them.

I might be making myself look stupid cause I missed something' date=' but...how? When I turned the game on for the first time it asked me if I wanted to upload and I said no. Now I can't figure out how to do it. Is there a place in the options menu that I'm missing? Or should I just delete it all and start over since I can transfer my licenses over?

[/quote']

It's in the manual.

Guest bastaad525

yeah you can do the transfer of licenses and credits at any time... shame on all of ya who transfered the credits though, makes all of the early races WAY too easy... I haven't transfered any credits yet for this reason. I actually like to start at the beginning with a cheap used car and work my way up... this is also a great way to learn all the new courses... if you just jump right into a 300+ hp car and try taking on the harder courses... maaaaan forget it. Anyways, if you go buying some really good, fast car right off the bat you're really killing the game for yourself as it's just gonna get boring winning races a half a lap ahead of the other cars.

I'm driving an s13 silvia right now and fighting for every gold trophy... in the beginner events hall.

Oh, about the Italian cars, it's weird because in Japan, Lamborghini at least, has made one appearance, you could buy the Diablo in the japanese version of GT3, but it got taken out for the US release and got replaced by.... the Acura RSX... yay :-P

Maybe Porshe, Ferrari and Lamborghini think they are just too good for GT or want too much? I know they have each shown up in other games.... it is really odd that they keep getting left out of GT. Well you can get Porsches at least from the manufacturer RUF.

It REALLY sux that they left the "Racing Modification" option out for GT4... I figured it was only left out of GT3 because Polyphony had a HUGE rush being placed on it by Sony to get that game out the door... but being as they were really allowed to take their time on this one, I'd have thought they'd put all the great things that were in 2 back in for 4.

One other thing I really miss from GT2 is that... most of the races in GT2 had an HP limit on them, so you couldn't just buy and build up some 600hp monster and then just terrorize every race... though usually if you just built up to the HP limit you were still way more powerful than anything else on the track :-P At least it was a sort of guidline of what you could be around to make almost every race competitive. In GT 3 and 4, you never really know what level the competition will be at... which really sux because you're almost always either way under power or way over powered.

For all the great advances they have made in graphics and physics, they still seem to be missing the point of what really makes a great RACE.

Guest comeandzpa

Thanks for the tips guys, I got my credits transferred. Bastaad, the only reason I did it was b/c I wasted most of my money modifying a non-raceable car, so I had little money left to modify my actual car. I'm saving a majority of the credits for later down the road when I want to buy something extra nice.

I have to admit, I do wish they'd limit the horsepower for some races a bit. While it is fun to take a 600+ HP R34 against some Renaults and Fiats, it does detract from the experience a bit because you can only be entertained for so long when you just walk all over everybody. Also, like you said, some races you enter with what you think is a nicely built car, only to find that you're making maybe half the power of the other cars in the race. I wish they'd give you some indication of what kinds of cars you're going to be going up against before you start the race.

I hear what you guys are saying, but I'd rather challenge myself by racing a fast car with the really fast cars. Just as challenging being the underdog at 200 mph, but the slow stuff is just too boring IMO. The worst was the friggin test course in GT3 with a car that only goes 120mph. You'd be sitting there for a minute and a half before you even had to turn.... BORING...

Anybody else hit that American race with the Chapparal 2J yet? Holy crap that thing is fast. I had to buy it. Kinda sketchy, only a 3 speed. 1st goes 110 or so... that is NOT boring.

Guest 240zJake
I hear what you guys are saying' date=' but I'd rather challenge myself by racing a fast car with the really fast cars. Just as challenging being the underdog at 200 mph, but the slow stuff is just too boring IMO. The worst was the friggin test course in GT3 with a car that only goes 120mph. You'd be sitting there for a minute and a half before you even had to turn.... BORING...

Anybody else hit that American race with the Chapparal 2J yet? Holy crap that thing is fast. I had to buy it. Kinda sketchy, only a 3 speed. 1st goes 110 or so... that is NOT boring.[/quote']

I concur. I have not got the money for the Chapparal 2j but those twin exhausts look like a ton of fun. My roomate was watching me look at the car and when the car revolved so he could see the back..."Holy s***! Thats awesome!" :twisted: Too bad they banned those aerodynamic aids, or there would be some really fast races!

Guest bastaad525

I hate to say it but now that the initial "WOW!" of the new graphics, physics, and sweet wheel have worn off... I'm left kinda pissed about a few things with this game. It's like... damn you know, we waited how many years for this, and yet really so many things were (still) left screwed up. I always thought that GT3 was so short on some of the better GT1/2 features because there was such a rush on getting that game out, and that GT4 would really be the ultimate game and fix all of GT3's shortcomings... But in terms of features, there are other racing games out nowadays that really outdo it in a lot of ways. Games like Need For Speed Underground have so much more customization options (well cosmetically, anyways), while games like TOCA Race Driver 2 are so much more true to real racing like what you see on TV, as well as having a great car damage model (both how it looks and how it affects your vehicle).

GT has always been tops for it's graphics, physics, and car selection... but unfortunately, that's still ALL it is.

Skrichs tips for easy money. Go to the special conditions race and from there go to the second race down, do both races and you win 5K per race plus a Toyota rally car that you can resell for 265K. Ran this a couple times just to sell off the cars and get some cash, and the first race in special conditions gives you the Cadillac Cien

Guest 240zJake

I ran the first Japanese cup in a-spec, won the 350z race car put street tires on it then let the b-spec driver win for me a couple of times, sold the Z I won the second time aroung for ~420K then felt bad, but cool as hell cause winning race teams do the same thing...sort of...well at least thats what I told myself.

Easy way to get around the autosave is to buy a second memory card for backup. I bought a used ps2 8mb card for $5.99 from the local gametrade shop. I copied my gt4 game file onto both cards from the ps2 "browser" menu. Now I can just buy any car and mess with it, and when I'm done I just overwrite my backup file onto the card that has been "autosaved" to restore my game to how I wanted it.

BTW:

Anyone find an s30 other than the g-nose yet? I heard there was supposed to be a Z432R in there somewhere. I haven't found anything yet. Anyone?

I'm kicking myself because I sold my PS2 last fall, but from the reviews it's what I expected. They've all been good games at the time, but my biggest complaint was always the sound. How is it on this one? Nothing more irritating than having a 600hp V8 sound like grampa's sedan. Some of them were decent, but I never understood why they couldn't at least copy the same good sounds over the similar engined cars.

I hear what you guys are saying, but I'd rather challenge myself by racing a fast car with the really fast cars. Just as challenging being the underdog at 200 mph, but the slow stuff is just too boring IMO.

I hear ya. In GT3 it got to the point where I deliberlately started taking slower cars and beating the faster ones anyways. My favorite was the Toyota GT-1 w/1300hp vs the formula cars.

EDIT: I also wanted to say I can live without GT4 because I have Gran Prix Legends on the PC. It's an older game, the graphics fall behing in some areas, but nothing is more challenging, and the physics are excellent.