HybridZ

Are all 280ZX front calipers the same? Is this price good?

I'm doing the full disc conversion on my 71 Z and want to get to the right parts first time out. The front will be the 280ZX/300ZX combo and the rear will be MM kit with 240SX calipers. I live near East Coast Z Center and will pick up the 280ZX pieces there. Never been there before but going in the next day or two to check it out.

Another question, is $100 for these front calipers and hangers a reasonable price?

I'm doing the full disc conversion on my 71 Z and want to get to the right parts first time out. The front will be the 280ZX/300ZX combo and the rear will be MM kit with 240SX calipers. I live near East Coast Z Center and will pick up the 280ZX pieces there. Never been there before but going in the next day or two to check it out.

Another question' date=' is $100 for these front calipers and hangers a reasonable price?[/quote']

ezzzzzzz, by chance have you read Terry Oxandale's write up on what he refers to as the street conversion? It's basically the same direction you're taking with your Z brakes. There are some pretty good details on the exercise. You can find his literature on this site. Good luck with your effort....I've done this conversion and I've been more than satisfied with how well it works.

I hate to disagree with Mike, but I'm pretty sure all the 280ZX front calipers are the same.

The Nissan parts catalog says all years 1979-83 will interchange and all the aftermarket places only sell one version caliper for the front of the 280ZX.

Of course the _rear_ ZX calipers have two versions: an early one: 1979 to 1981 and the later version: 1982 and 1983. They are totally different and not interchangeable.

I have to agee on the front calipers being the same and somehow I think Mike was likely thinking about the rear calipers, which as you stated, have an early and a later version. When I did my conversion I looked at both and thought to myself...gawd, there's no way I would install a set of the early rear calipers on my Z, they look like some cheap stamped out parts. Also, I believe the later model rear calipers from a ZX are the same units that are from the 240SX cars...at least they look identical! Just my $0.02 worth

YUp, you guys are right... I was thinkin' about the rears only... The fronts all use the same pad based on the couple of catalogs I've got handy! That would lead me to believe it is the same front caliper for all four years!

Mike

I need a firm answer on this too. After noticing that Modern Motorsports lists different pads for early and late ZX's, I asked about caliper differences but didn't get a reply (so can't buy pads).

Looking at the outline drawings of pads in at a local Kragen's, it appears that their late pads have wear indicators/screetch springs, but the early ones don't.

A local independent parts house tells me that they have separate early and late caliper listings, but have no idea what the differences might be. (It might be only the type pads loaded)?

I don't know what year ZXs my calipers came from; could be anything (even one early/one late) since they came off two different cars.

Hey, they looked the same...

My memory is fuzzy on this, but about 6 years ago when I had my 81 280zx, I needed front pads to get through the safety check. I went to the local autoparts store (crappy tire; the canadians in here know what I mean) and iirc, they listed 2 difrent pad styles. The guy had no clue what the diff/ would be, and neither did I so I ordered both. If I'm remembering right, there were 2 slight diffrences; set 1 had a wear indicators and a slight 'undercut' about 1/8" wide and deap across the middle of the pad material. Set 2 was all flat, with no wear indicator. Both sets looked the same other wise, (looked as though they would work in the caliper) and I just bought the chepest ones.

IN europe ZXT's have bigger calipers' date=' as i cant fit 14"on my euroturbo, as cant others, i can sell you a set of those to go with tEh CV shafts if you are intrested.

The disks on these cars are the same BTW[/quote']

Bigger all around, or just in front? And if they're bigger, does that mean I'd have to figure out a source for European sized brake pads too?