HybridZ

Motors done and running, here's a pic (maybe)

Guest Chris240turbo

Guest Chris240turbo

got the car back on the ground a couple days ago, after almost a full year, it's running great, boosting 6psi (base racegate spring) now tuning begins again, although I believe it'll be much easier with the LM-1 I'm using now. this will be the 1st pic from my new camera, I hope it's resized correctly!

dsmotor.bmp

Chris,

Tim Schorn and I just had lunch together and he mentioned you having it back together. He mentioned something about you taking it for a test drive at 6 psi and having problems opening/closing the door afterwards. Must be making some serious torque with the new turbo. He couldn't remember which one you got. He just said some monster with ball bearings. Would that be a gt35? Could you share some of the details on your setup?

Guest Chris240turbo

hopefully these are a little smaller, many thanks to z-REX for helping clue me in on the easy way to resize!

passmotor.bmp

manifold.bmp

rearview.bmp

can't wait to get it tuned halfway decent, so I can install new brakes and suspension!

brakes.bmp

wow that looks really great Chris! must be nice to get back behind the wheel! what kind of HP are you shooting for with that setup?

I'll be on the lookout for some Z's while im in houston on march 1st, maybe i'll catch a glimpse of your "new" ride.

laterZ!

got the car back on the ground a couple days ago' date=' after almost a full year, it's running great, boosting 6psi (base racegate spring) now tuning begins again, although I believe it'll be much easier with the LM-1 I'm using now. this will be the 1st pic from my new camera, I hope it's resized correctly!

[img']http://home.earthlink.net/~chrisnbeck/dsmotor.bmp[/img]

Nice-nice -nice.....Chris !!

Looks even BETTER than I invisioned it would be. You've done alot of thinking on the whole theme since I saw it in the garage last when Mike(ON3GO) and I had come over for some of your good cookin' ! And thanks again for that.

I may be back down in Houston again in a few weeks...I'll try to hook up with you crazies again !

Congrats on your progress.............Vinny 8)

Guest Chris240turbo

jeeez, I hardly ever have the spare time to post anymore, work is hectic, but good!

first off, thank you all for the encouraging words!, I'll try to answer to questions from this thread first...

second, I must give credit where credit is due, namely to my Wife, without her, I'd be lost, no B.S., she also has not only "put up" with, but encouraged the expenditure of a big pile of money on my old Zcar

I must also pay homage to the internet, specifically Hybridz. there is so much practical knowledge here, it defies my general opinion of the web, to the moderators, a big thumbs up!!! far too much of the automotive based 'net is such unsubstantiated crap, and this site (not to be corny) shines like a diamond in a pile of bull$hit, and has been a big help.

I'd also like to thank some key people, I'll list them by Hybridz user name, though I know some in "real" life.

Tim78zt, bro, I've known you a while, and you've always had encouraging words! Tim is also a dyed in the wool car guy, and Z-car nut!

Hickl, Jeff, you're a pal! thanks for your help, and needling as to the status of my car! wanna race??? (gimme a car length?)

240ztwinturbo, James Thagard is the authority on forced induction and L motors, AFAIK, and a hell of a craftsman. I can't really call James a friend, as we've never met, but if he busts you on talking BS about your car, it's for your own damn good! www.speedshopthagard.com!!!

on3go, mike, your certainly an enthusiastic kid! but I used to know someone like you... myself, although I didn't have the 'net to loose my perspective on the world, keep on keepin' on.

VintagetechZ, thanks Vince, from one car nut, Zcar goof to another!

also ScottieGNZ, Speeder, and Zgad, all super sources of great, sound, "been there, done that" turbo advice, thanks guys,for sharing your experiences here without prejudice or short sidedness.

anyway, I DID say it would be a long post, AND that I don't get to surf for pleasure much anymore!!!

answers:

auxilary: thanks, I'm glad you like it! I really look forward to seeing your car makin' boost and getting sideways, incidentally, rotaries rule!

240zprace: I take no credit for the intake manifold, everyone who is into blown L engines or turbos in general should talk to James Thagard, he is the man! and also who created the intake you see in the pics. visit http://www.speedshopthagard.com !!!

spotfitz: we'll meet soon! I'm FTW bound!

John Kosmatka:thanks! although, are they ever really done???

jkube: thanks!

DAT240Z: in a minute...

tony78_280z: thanks for the compliment, and from a V-8 guy at that!!!

fl327: I'll sell you the piping for less than the cost of the mandrel bends, I welded it more than a year ago, I'm a much better weldor now! and plan to redo the pipes. I sourced the I/C from a Mustang shop here in H-town, I forget the name, but they went under shortly after I bought it for $500

on3go: PUNK!!! you never called me, favor or not!!!

fastzcars: yep, it is a Griffen, 19x24 chevy camaro, but I had to have the lower inlet rewelded, as it pointed right at the alternator, I welded the brackets myself, and they don't leak! fan is an old SPAL, controlled by the haltech

Sparky: thanks again! another Zcar nut I've met in person. I have no idea what it'll make for horsepower, or torque, nor do I care, but I do plan to push it, maybe 20ish psi on 112 racegas? I'll be sure to post new dyno sheets here

slownrusty: thanks! I'm envious of your corolla! you certainly have a nice ZXT also!

Jersey: thank you, I continue to be impressed by the performance of your 240!

set-up: I've owned this car for years, and spent perhaps 25k on it since the day I bought it, I'm sure I'll forget something, as I don't have a list, nor do I ever intend to add it all up!

engine: f54 block, p90 head, 87.5mm j+e pistons, (2850cc) head has been mildly ported, schnieder turbo cam, .460 lift 260 duration. crane springs, arp rod bolts, all else is stock L28et, although the rotating assembly (with flywheel) was dynamically balanced

trans is an 82 N/A zx, 13.5# fidanza flywheel (old now) and an ACT 6-puck, sprung hub, "steet/strip" clutch, also an R200 3.7 LSD, from z31 turbo

fuel system: aeromotive A1000 pump, 1:1 regulator, 10 and 100 micron filters

15 gallon aluminum fuel cell, with jaz filler neck hooked up to stock gas filler door, also 1/2" feed and 3/8 return alum. hard line, and -8 feed/ -6 return stainless a/n lines, 550cc r/c injectors, Haltech E6K engine management ( great system, have nothing but good things to say about Haltech)

turbo system: James Thagared sourced full T04S 60-1 .70 ar compressor, .58 P trim, on center turbine

speedshopthagard.com sheet metal intake manifold

innovative turbo progate T4 adapter

turbonetics 42mm racegate (open dumped, LOUD!)

self fabbed 3" T304 stainless downpipe with Hickl-flanges! thanks Jeff!

3" mild steel mandrel bent exhaust with dynomax race muffler.

surely there's loads more, but my fingers are weary!

thanks everyone! dyno sheets and driving impressions to come! (if it ever stops raining here, that is)

Chris240turbo

Arizona Z car 4 wheel wilwood brakes and ground control camber plates/coil overs are next, they've been in my garage far too long!!!

John Kosmatka:thanks! although' date=' are they ever really done???

set-up: I've owned this car for years, and spent perhaps 25k on it since the day I bought it, I'm sure I'll forget something, as I don't have a list, nor do I ever intend to add it all up!

engine: f54 block, p90 head, 87.5mm j+e pistons, (2850cc) head has been mildly ported, schnieder turbo cam, .460 lift 260 duration. crane springs, arp rod bolts, all else is stock L28et, although the rotating assembly (with flywheel) was dynamically balanced

trans is an 82 N/A zx, 13.5# fidanza flywheel (old now) and an ACT 6-puck, sprung hub, "steet/strip" clutch, also an R200 3.7 LSD, from z31 turbo

fuel system: aeromotive A1000 pump, 1:1 regulator, 10 and 100 micron filters

15 gallon aluminum fuel cell, with jaz filler neck hooked up to stock gas filler door, also 1/2" feed and 3/8 return alum. hard line, and -8 feed/ -6 return stainless a/n lines, 550cc r/c injectors, Haltech E6K engine management ( great system, have nothing but good things to say about Haltech)

turbo system: James Thagared sourced full T04S 60-1 .70 ar compressor, .58 P trim, on center turbine

speedshopthagard.com sheet metal intake manifold

innovative turbo progate T4 adapter

turbonetics 42mm racegate (open dumped, LOUD!)

self fabbed 3" T304 stainless downpipe with Hickl-flanges! thanks Jeff!

3" mild steel mandrel bent exhaust with dynomax race muffler.

surely there's loads more, but my fingers are weary!

[/quote']

No once you begin a Z you will never finish a Z, it will finish you.... lol.

Anyhow you z has a wicked setup and can't wait to see some dyno numbers and time slips. Congrats.

John