HybridZ

sand blast cabinet

EvilRufusKay

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Go to Harborfreight.com. They have tabletop cabinets and free-standing cabinets, as well as freehand blasters. I have a free-standing one that I got from them for $160, and it works great.

Just get a gun and make the cabinet out of a large cardboard box (like for a TV) and a piece of plexiglass. That way when you are done, you can crush it up (save the plexi) and it won't take up any room. Room for me is an absolute premium.

Tim

I got mine from HF as well. I got the smaller box and... I'm not too happy with it. It's great for small parts (say...12"x12"). My rear control arms, valve covers, intake manifold... too hard to manuever in the box. I like Tim's idea the best... even if room is not at a premium.

I use mine very often. My tools get blasted from time to time and I use it for really baked on cheese.

The cardboard box is a great idea if your just going to use it now and again, but I like the recovery and storage for blasting media that the cabinet offers, not to mention the light inside so I can see.

... I like the recovery and storage for blasting media that the cabinet offers...

Thats what I was thinking.

Tim - do you reuse the media? Use it on a clean spot, sweep up and toss back in the hopper?

... I'm not too happy with it. It's great for small parts...

This is the other side of it... Idon't have too much of a problem with space so I am leaning toward a cabinet model. For some reason I did not see the cabinet type on their website, just the other kind...better look again.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, when done, just tip the box into the media bucket. I keep the used media in a different container from the new stuff. Or you can tape a sheet of 6mil plastic to the bottom of the box, then just gather up the edges and you have your media in a little plastic bag....

Tim

I couldn't find my box on thier website, but this one is close to the size (25"x15" working area) and did not come with a light.:

Small Cabinet (bench top)

IF I had the space I would get this one:

Large Cabinet (stand alone)

Although mine did not come with a light we went ahead and installed one that we had laying around the garage. The media recovery is a nice feature... but I need more room.

I guess it just comes down to cost. If it's something you're going to use ALOT then perhaps you can justify a larger cabinet.

Tim - do you reuse the media? Use it on a clean spot, sweep up and toss back in the hopper?

I use an old window screen to filter large particles from the media. Works great.

My father-in-law etches glass with a sandblaster. He built his cabinate (large) using plywood and plexiglass. He uses a pressure pot style blaster as they work much better and don't require as much air volume. Harbor freight has this type of blaster. You can buy the gloves and other supplies from several sources. He uses a dust collector, which is a large vacuum with a special filter to cut down on the dust and increase visibility. I am going to build a large cabinate at home using a pressure pot blaster and plywood. I am going to try it without the dust collector and then if needed I will buy one of the filters and try to rig up a dust collector with a large shopvac I have and a plastic drum.

I have the smaller cabinet from HF and I love it. Although I wish now that I would have bought the bigger one. But for all the small parts it works great. I had to buy a small flurencent light from Menards for $5(that included a bulb too!) and I bolted that to the top of the cabinet on the inside. Works great. Although my glass is getting kind of foggy too so I will have to replace that soon. But after 2 years of having it... I think I got my $50(thats how much I paid 2 years ago) out of it!

Guy