HybridZ

Supercharged Z Video

kj280z

Hey all...

Project 280Z hit the track yesterday! The best we could do was get some time on a 1/2 mile oval (due to prior weather). Our intention was to do some shake down and evaluation of the supercharged L Motor...

I think you'll enjoy this short video... I love the sound!!!

John Coffey did an awesome job setting up the suspension... take a look!

We installed some custom rear control arms from Ross Corrigan the day before... I really liked the design and implementation as well!

http://flzclub.com/videos/blownZ.WMV

Regards

Ken

Sport Z Magazine

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greenrst

what supercharger is it and how much would it work for 79 280zx 2+2 been looking for one cant find one also i love the vid 2 short tho i guess ill just keep watching it then good job sounds great

Hey...

To answer your question it is a Magnuson MP62 supercharger. We were running 12 pounds of boost during this session.

You may see a supercharger kit soon! We're in the process of figuring out how to package it for all you Z nuts if there is enough interest.

The upcoming edition of Sport Z Magazine due to hit your mailboxes in the next few days has some more details. Obviously, that article was written 3 months ago so we've had a lot more time optimizing the setup since our initial dyno testing.

The thing just ROARS!

Regards

Ken

WHOOOOOOOOW.. NICE.. The Z looks like it is doing that oval in a very timely manner..Looks to be around 16-17 secs? lol. Awesome..The sounds coming from it are amazing. Ken. Any thoughts about you driving it up to the South East Z Shoot Out and meet the rest of us up there in Reynolds GA on the 19th and 20th? I sure would love to see this Z in person. All I can say for now is.. WOW. NICE WORK man..!!

Jon that was pretty funny... anyway... that was what we got off the camera... only compressed so it would download quicker so who knows what that does... We actually timed the laps after you said that and they are 21 seconds per lap which we figure to be an "average" of around 86 mph. The straights were much faster and the turns were "interesting" since we had never run on an oval before...

Anyway, here's some pics for ya...

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/mm_memrides_view.php?car_id=11

Ken

I timed the video at 14 seconds for a lap. Definitely got speed up somehow :P

Sweet ride! Wish mine looked as good and sounded as menacing on the throttle roll-ins...

Edit: Sorry, my foot is in my mouth. I got 20 seconds for real. So, that woule be 90 for average mph and much more believable.

Pat

Pat,

Thanks for the edit... I was starting to get disappointed that the thread was degrading into an "authenticity" discussion which was bumming me out.

I believe that certain players will render the video differently, so who knows what's going on.

Anyway, it's just something I thought everyone would enjoy.... That was it's sole intention... It's not edited, but some people may see it as "sped up" because of some wierdness that I don't understand...

Hope you liked it for what it is... "information"

ken

For the record I'm pretty sure that it is the compression method you used, not the viewer that makes the difference. I'm using Windows Media Player, which is I'm sure what 95% of people are using to view your video.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you basically posted this vid saying "Look what we did" and it's not what you did. 14 seconds is faster than a SPRINT car for crying out loud.

Here's a blurb from uscsracing.com:

The cars competing in U.S.C.S. events are almost identical in appearance to the World of Outlaws tm sprint car series seen on national television broadcasts aired frequently by The Speed Channel and those of the Unites States Auto Club tm, aired by ESPN tm. Typical U.S.C.S. sprint cars weigh only about 1300 pounds and their fuel injected 360 cubic inch engines produce 650 to 700 horsepower. The cars utilize huge 25 square foot wings on top and 6 square foot nose wings for traction and stability along with providing excellent advertising space on their 2 1/2 foot x 6 foot side boards. The cars also use massive 18inch wide rear tires for traction.

Here's a little flattery to make up...

I imagine that the car would sound sweet were the video slowed down 30%. :wink:

Jon,

We've already had SEVERAL people say that they time it at 21 seconds on their computer, so PLEASE let's not go down that road again. There is obviously differences in the video from computer to computer and I don't really care "why"...

All I said when I posted it was I hope you enjoy it, not "here's what we did".

For the record we were NOT trying to break any records and NONE of us had any experience on an oval track. This was just our first time out with this motor and it was the only place we could go to drive the car in a controlled environment on short notice. We were simply trying to evaluate the motor and this was the only place that we could find to let us on a track before everyone flew home (they let us on with 1 hours notice! Real nice people!).

I'm not making any claims to the video other than, "Hope you enjoy it". There's nothing "official" about it and it was done with the limitations of the camera equipment we had...

The "sound" is a pretty good representation of the motor as I hear it on MY computer, but there's no telling what it sounds like on anyone elses I guess.

I doubt anyone wants to download a file that's huge (64 mg) and I don't even have a server that I could put it on for people to see because it's so large. I took a snip out of it and tried to reduce the resolution so people with slow connections could enjoy it, simple as that...

I'm getting frustrated so I'll have to stop posting now... If anyone wants more information email me at ken280z@hotmail.com

Ken

I'm not accusing you of anything dishonest Ken. My problem is that you have a lot of clout as a guy who owns (?) SportZ magazine, so I just wanted to make sure that people knew that your vid was playing faster than it should.

I used a free program to reduce the size of my autox run that I posted a link to here about a year ago. It is called Zwei-Stein. You might want to try downloading that and trying again if you want it to be accurate.

SERIOUSLY THOUGH--NO OFFENSE INTENDED. JUST TRYING TO KEEP IT ALL ON THE LEVEL.

Jon,

I wish I owned the magazine! I'm just a contributor, and I am very protective of my reputation.

I appreciate that you're not trying to say that I was being dishonest, the video "is what it is". I can't change it so please view it for what it is, a different approach to performance on a Z that looks to be a pretty successful implementation that you can actually view in person, which is better than pure pictures.

If it looks fast on your computer, so-be-it, but it looks fine on mine...

Is this a computer technology discussion or a post about a pretty nice setup on a Z car that's never really been done like this before?

Can we get back to talking about supercharged Z cars now or has this post been destroyed by this?!

GEEEEEZ!