HybridZ

Homemade dash finished

blueovalz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been there, No info onAnd other fitting techniques.

If you click on his site, you'll see the picture gallery, right? Then you'll see the picture gallery index to the left of the page. Click on "Dash - Instruments" and you'll get a plethora of pictures. Click on each photo--you'll see a detailed description of what he did under each photo BUT you have to see it on the bottom of each photo after you open each one up. See it now?

I cut and pasted all photos and descriptions to a Word document to save it (I hope the photo hosting company doesn't mind...) only for educational purposes.

Davy

Hmm, I guess I need to go back and perhaps add some more info into some of the shots for those "inquiring minds" that want to know. Oh, BTW, the OXcart award goes to (drum roll please)......tony78_280z!!!!!(sound of ding, ding, ding, ding and bountiful applause) for the correct answer to the perfectly placed roll of electrical tape behind the shifter. As your prize for the proper answer, OXcart Racing Enterprises will submit your name for a drawing of one "well weathered wood slat from a vintage OX cart, replete with dung stains and odor guaranteed to add humility to any garage."

Congratulations.

Guest Aaron

Awesome work BlueOvalz. Then again we have come to expect such excelence from you.

Warning! Threadjack!

JuJu, I like the hybrid corvette taillight panel on your car. I think the squared off lights look better on a Z than the standard round ones. My only critiqe would be that since you are filling the vents on the Jim Cooke fenders, you might consider moving the lights outboard an inch or two. Overall I give it :2thumbs:

Guest tony78_280z
As your prize for the proper answer, OXcart Racing Enterprises will submit your name for a drawing of one "well weathered wood slat from a vintage OX cart, replete with dung stains and odor guaranteed to add humility to any garage."
...I.. ..I Don't know what to say. I've never won anything like this before... *deep bow*.... I owe it all to BillZ260, and of course Terry. I'd like to think all the little people (like Tim and Mike) who made this possible. I'll treasure this weathered wood for the rest of my days. And each time I smell it, I will think of you all. (for obvious reasons)

[ Where is that .gif of the middle finger? ]

how much difference is there in weight between the old dash, and this new fiberglass one?

Sorry Tony, they're all a bunch of gearheads, but I appreciate your good fortune.

Anyway, I weighed all the pieces today, and without gauges, all the fiberglass parts weigh 7 lbs. The project grew a little this weekend as I finished up the dash completely, which was the fabrication of "under-dash" panels that ran from the curled edge at the bottom of the dash, down and forward, to attach to the anti-intrusion bar that crosses over the transmission tunnel. As with anything I do though, I've been so happy with the way this turned out, I'm contemplating a cover over the transmission tunnel, the alternator cover (it's behind the passenger seat), and perhaps a few pieces in back.

Here are the panels, with extra wire hanging out as I trouble shoot the new wiring harness installed prior to the dash buildup.

standard.jpg

And the driver's side (without the bed liner coating)

standard.jpg

Terry, the underdash pics looks great! I think it is a great area to cover---too much wiring, etc., is exposed and most Zs don't have a clean look underneath because of that. Your solution puts it very neatly out of the way. Good place for car art too or graphics, hmmm.

Davy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ON3GO

Terry, as a young man starting to work with fiberglass and do body work and etc. i must say you amaze me! you just make it look so sooooooo simple!

for that i hate you but love it at the same time.

one day i hope to just grasp 1/18th of what you know and can do, untill then ill just keep messing up in all my glory!

but really you create and do what i dream about doing to my Z's and other cars.

such beautiful work!

mike

Terry......Would y0u have any ideas for a set of "direct read dial gauges" for my pace maker @ right breast pocket height. I would insist on distolic blood pressure in red face numerals so the arriving para-medics could read the vitals 10 to 15 feet away. (I used to be Tomahawk Zee).

Just install an external flow meter on top of your head so it is visible on all sides. You could interface any instrument you want from the extra port. If you want you could hook up a suction tube and place it into a bottle of Jack, or maybe a pot of coffee.