Help me pick a welder!

jimzdat

Which one to get?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which one to get?

• MillerMatic 210
    • Lincoln PowerMIG 215
    • Some other welder (please post ideas)

OK gang, between my tax refund and annual bonus, I've got enough extra dough to get a welder, as well as permission from the wife (had to remodel the kitchen first). I am by no means a great welder, but I can do OK (working on improving skills)

I figure for all I'm gonna do, a MIG would be my best choice--definitely a gas-shielded unit

Budget and feature-wise, I've narrowed it down to these two (trust the name brands, used them before--if anyone has other QUALITY suggestions, please post)

MillerMatic 210

Millermatic 210 on eBay

Lincoln PowerMIG 215

Lincoln PowerMIG on eBay

Thanks for the input,

Jim

I'm sure both welders are pretty equal in the quality department. These were the two brands I considered when I was shopping welders. I ended up getting a great deal on a MillerMatic 135 (couldn't afford the 220V models and my garage isn't wired for it). The Miller gets my vote only because I own one and it has worked flawlessly for me. I love it.

Well I'll vote for the Lincoln. :) I have a little 110 lincoln (awesome little thing..) And that one on ebay, well my boss has the exact same unit at the shop. Great machine, and I love using it.. lays good beads, is really adjustable, and never had any problems at all. We were welding 1/4" 2x2 sq tubing today with it; better and faster than my little 110 welds body steel! Figure it's been used in a machine shop environment for the last 4 years; it's been beat up a little and gone through probly thousands of miles of wire. NO problems. My boss recently bought an accesory for it called a 'spool gun' (?) It's a little spool of wire mounted on a tiny motor with a triger (drives the spool), and some wires/hoses runing to it that conect to the front of the welder. Change the gas to straight argon, and bam: You can wled aluminum. :)

A friend of mine has a miller, and does nice work with it so I'd say it's a good machine too.. I just don't have expiriance with it, and I'm not sure if you can get that same attachment..

I also have a Lincoln 110V mig. It works very well for what it is. When I buy a bigger machine though, it will most likely be a MM251. I just got a Dynasty 200DX (TIG) and a Spectrum 625 (Plasma Cutter), and like them very much. While I think Lincoln has good welders, I trust Miller's support much more. If you want another place to research (I don't know if you have looked yet at these two places), try http://www.millermotorsports.com/mboard and http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard . There is a lot of good info at these two sites on all different kinds of welders.

BTW, do you already have a gas bottle? You probably want to check on one of those also. They can be rather pricey. What about a good welding helmet? The Miller Big Window Elites get a good review. So do the Optrel Satellites. Personally, I use a Jackson Nexgen, which gets bad reviews. Finally, make sure to check the power requirement and make sure you have the power available to run these.

Good Luck,

Joshua

EDIT: Oh, also ment to tell you that Cyberweld.com is a good place to get welders from. I know that the Miller's are usually free shipping. I have bought a bunch of stuff from them (my D200DX and Spect625 and NexGen) and had great service and speedy shipping. They do not carry Lincoln though. The price they list online is $1249.

I have the Miller and really like it. I also bought a Lincoln, I gave it to my father-in-law for helping me build a garage. When we went to buy the Lincoln we went to several welding shops and in talking with the people that sell both brands the Lincoln edges out the Miller in favorability with the welding shop employees. Their opinion was that both are good machines but the Lincoln has more flexability. I don't weld well enough to know what that means but all the welding shops had the same opinion.

We were also able to get some freebies thrown in - some wire and welding pliers.

Another thing, get a large tank of gas. The small ones run out of gas too soon IMO.

Whichever is the cheapest. Both are good welders.

When it came time for me to buy a big MIG welder, I bought a HTP 2400. I've used it about 300 hours in my shop for production welding of larger steel and aluminum stuff and I'm happy with the results. Its also about $300 cheaper then the best street prices on comparable Miller and Lincoln models.

It also did all the seam welding on this 240Z:

seamweld1.jpg

Thanks John--I've seen mention a couple times of HTP products, but I have yet to find an online vendor so I can research prices; kinda makes me wonder how hard it will be to get consumable parts when needed--I have an Airgas office local to me, and they sell the Lincoln and Miller lines, so I know parts are easy to get

Thanks,

Jim

http://www.usaweld.com

HTP welders are mostly made in Italy, like some Lincoln and Miller models. I bought direct from HTP because I liked their service policy. If something goes wrong with the machine you call them on an 800 number. If you can use a multi-meter they walk your through diagnosing the problem and then either overnight the parts to you or send you to a local distributor that has the parts.

But, as with my Miller and my Lincoln welders and plasma cutters, I've not had any problems. I figure its pretty rare to have problems with any of the higher dollar machines.

Flux core is "adequate" for most automotive jobs but gas is a while bunch nicer. A lot of the problems you guys are working through with flux core simple goes away with gas.

Exactly--that's why I'm going for the higher end unit

I'll have to check with Airgas and see about the HTP unit--one plus I noticed is it has more adjustments for the heat--makes for a little more fine tuning

Huy,

Thanks for the offer, but that machine is just waaay to small for what I want; plus it's a Hobart, which I have never been happy with

Jim

Understanding "Duty Cycle":

http://www.welding.com.au/pages/understanding_duty_cycle.htm

FYI... I've welded for 30 minutes straight with a MIG welder that was rated for a 20% duty cycle. No trips, no problems. I was also pretty frickin' stiff after welding for that long around a plate seam. The only reason I stopped was that I used up a 10lb spool.

Hate to bust your bubble, but the Hobart and Miller welders are virtually identical with different packaging. If you don't want Hobart, go Lincoln. Personally, I think any of the well known brands are good. I heard crap about Centurys being crappy also, but I have had good luck with mine. But it was the most expensive wire feed they made and not the cheapest. And it looks like they have been purchased by Lincoln also.

WHen I was researching TIG welders and was talking about the Syncrowave 250 vs. Precision TIG 275 the respone was, "Do you like red or blue?" All good machines.

If I was in the market for a new MIG my choice would be the Powermig 255 if I liked red or the Millermatic 251 for blue!

If I was in the market for a new MIG my choice would be the Powermig 255 if I liked red or the Millermatic 251 for blue!

I wish I could get one of those, for the infinite adjustability, but that extra $$ is the deal killer as far as the wife is concerned

Didn't realize how the various companies were essentially combined; I just knew that had used both Miller and Hobart, and the Hobart was just crap by comparison; even with both being very similar machines

I've been researching welders for some time now. Here's my .02.

Miller is very good quality. Hobart is manufactured by miller but doesnt have the infinite adjustments like blue does. Lincoln is very good also, but on the 135 model, the drive gears are thermoplastic, which the dealer said he see's shattered sometimes, on Miller, they're aluminum.

I think I'm going with Miller.

Guest john papasergia
OK gang' date=' between my tax refund and annual bonus, I've got enough extra dough to get a welder, as well as permission from the wife (had to remodel the kitchen first). I am by no means a great welder, but I can do OK (working on improving skills)

I figure for all I'm gonna do, a MIG would be my best choice--definitely a gas-shielded unit

Budget and feature-wise, I've narrowed it down to these two (trust the name brands, used them before--if anyone has other QUALITY suggestions, please post)

MillerMatic 210

Millermatic 210 on eBay

Lincoln PowerMIG 215

Lincoln PowerMIG on eBay

Thanks for the input,

Jim

At home I have both the lin and miller 110v units both work equally well. In my shop I run lincoln welding and esab cutting equipment exclusively but these cant really compare because price is not the magor concern. @ home I must say that between the two there is no dif. in their weld quality but there are a few things to point out ......The miller will handle a larger spool and has real steel drive rolls in contrast to the lincolns plastic drive assembly. To me it seemed like a no brainer (miller) however Harbor freight sells some damn cheep hobart units that I know do well also and while the hobart co. is no longer I am told that Miller is stocking the parts and honoring the warrenties