HybridZ

What oil Pan ???

Running a 1970 350 sbc. I would like to know what oil pans are being used.

Stock?

Increased Capacity with baffling?

Also what oil pumps to use in conjunction with oil pan.

I would like to use a 6 or 7 quart with baffling as this will be a track car . Yes I have searched for oil pan as a keyword.

THANKS.

I am getting closer.

Guest tony78_280z

I've got some similar questions, so I think I'll piggy back on your thread here.

MOROSO Oil Control Kits

This Moroso kit converts a stock type oil pan with no baffline into a competition type pan with proper control for horsepower gain and more consistant oil pressure. Contains a windage tray that attaches to stock-type main cap studs w/standoffs' date=' cranchshaft scraper, and bolt on rear pan baffle.

710-23035 SB_Chevy $35.99[/quote']The way I understand this keeps oil off the crank and allows it to spin freely. Freeing up horsepower/torque that the engine is already producing. I believe David Vizard said around 2hp at lower RPMs and close to 12hp at higher RPMs. Does it realy work? Are there some drawbacks or costs to this pay off?

The Canton Road Race oil pans seem to be popular. There is a 6 quart pan + 1 quart filter available that is 7" deep (about the shallowest I have seen). It has trap door baffling, windage tray, etc. The pickup must be ordered separately. They carry the pickup for both regular and HV oil pumps. I have a Mellings 55HV in my engine.

They are not cheap pans at ~$275-$325 + pickup. I found the cheapest price on Ebay.

I don't know what headers you are using, but you should check before ordering the pan. It has kickouts on both sides, making the space tight.

Joshua

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.asp?ZTM=cadefjgb&GHOME=www.midwestmotorsportsinc.com&TITLE=Midwest_Motorsport

you might want to look over these #MWM15120 #MWM15121 (pan alone)about $60

#MWM15120K #MWM15121K (pan with matching HV pump and pickup about $95

look at the picture in the catalog

its a good quality 7 qt baffled oil pan 7.25" deep and I use them on most of my corvettes with some mods to the sump that increase the capacity, but they work great as delivered and at about $60 each are a bargin

BTW they go on sale ocasionally for $40 each so stock up then, and yeah theres clearance for a windage screen, and they can be modified to hold 10 qts by extending the sump forward if you have the clearance necessary to fit under the car, (suspenson, cross member ETC.)

I have a ZX and needed a little extra clearance to clear the power rack and pinion I am installing. Kevko (http://www.kevko.net/wetsump_chevy.htm) custom cut one of their baffled deep sump pans (with kickouts, windage tray and crank scraper) so it only had a 4" deep core (instead of the normal 4 3/8"). Total was around $260 and their service was great.

John

I've got two pans, B&B and Wyotech ebay special. Both fit fine, haven't had any problems with either, tried both for fitment in the z, both fit fine. Running the Wyotech ebay special right now, holds 8 quarts with filter. It is a double kickout and looks kind of like the moroso pan.

I'm in the middle of cutting up my canton pan and would recommend a cheaper pan to modify. This pan works well in original form, but why not use something cheaper to cut up like the ones Grumpy recommended... a 7inch sump pan with trap doors and a windage tray is all you need!

Mike

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Yeah, There Is A Universal Fitting That Works With The Moroso Universal Dipsticks..... I Called Moroso's Tech Line With That Very Question And That Is What They Told Me.

most STOCK PRODUCTION FIRST GEN.sbc corvette oil pans fall in the 6.5"-7.5" depth range

I own 3 corvettes currently and all three fall in that range and all the oil pans from my former vettes also fall in that range

on all my current corvettes the sump can easily be extended to within 3" of the front edge at the full sump depth with zero clearance problems as the front 2" is only close to the (K) frame