HybridZ

Tubing Bender

Guest Aaron

Guest Aaron

I am thinking about building a small tubing bender to make parts for my bike, cars, etc. I can build it easy enough. I have seen a couple plans on the internet. The problem is the dies. You can easily spend $100-$200 for one die that works on one size tubing. :icon52: Does anyone have any insight as to cheaper places to find them online or otherwise?

If used correctly a harbor freight pipe bender will make excellent bends. As smooth as any tube bender. All you need are some 2" couplings to bend 1 5/8 .130 tube. Use the 1 1/4" jig.

Pipe benders use the ID measurement, tube benders use the OD measurement.

Look at these pics of a couple of bends I made to show someone else this trick.

Jody

WHOA!!! Images a little too large, deleted! -admin-

Sorry about the picture size.... lets try this again.

Dscf0047.jpg

Buy 2 2" couplings like this.

Dscf0035.jpg

Put the couplings under the rollers and make sure the die is the correct size. 1 1/4" die is the correct size for 1 5/8" tubing.

Dscf0036.jpg

Dscf0040.jpg

Dscf0042.jpg

Dscf0045.jpg

The couplings will leave marks on the tube, but they are easily sanded out.

Jody

Owen, I'd contact Harbor freight or someone like that to get the dies...

Doug, I'm game... Pretty much have given up on the guys who have Jim's car. A DOM mild steel cage will likely be in the recipe now... But i'll be able to do it the way I want it! I'm also gonna run 1.5 inch tubing for better placement.

AND we can bend yours too!

Mike

The key to bending tubing is the correct sized die and spreading the load on the points where the bender restrains the pipe. I plan on trying the bender for my exhaust tubing soon. The problem is the only exhaust sized dies the bender comes with are 2" and 2 1/2" dies.

The 2" die will do 2 3/8 tubing and the 2 1/2" die will do a 3" tube. I wasn't planning on doing a full 3" exhaust. I may grind out the 2" die to the correct size to bend 2 1/2" tubing. Hopefully it'll work... we'll see.

• 1 month later...

I hope to be bending the exhaust tubing in a couple of weeks. I'll post the results.

Update on using a different brand bender. I used the Harbor Freight bender.

We tried bending 1 5/8" tubing on a different brand bender, I think it was a Northern Tools bender. The 1 1/4" die is smaller (shorter length) and the pipe kinked when we bent it. We did not have the dies side by side to tell the exact difference, but there is a difference.

I'm curious about this. I have DOM tubing and 2 things happenned when I tried to use it: The tubing just kinked, then a weld on the bender popped.

This solution seems to help interms of spreading the force exerted by the 2 rollers, but not the die. That's where my tubing kinked.

Perhaps you're using thicker walled tubing? Although, my tubing is pretty stout (hence the breaking of the bender).

Yup, while at the last shindig, Jodey brought his spacers and we tried bending some 1 5/8th. I had previously bent 1.5 inch tubing without kinking it. I plan to buy a real tubing bender designed for cage work from a source locally for about $500.

Mike :cool: