HybridZ

Anyone follow Ultimate Fighting? Liddell or Couture?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

For those who aren't familiar with the sport, UFC is "Ultimate Fighting Championships". It's basically kickboxing + wrestling. It has plenty of rules to keep the fighters safe, but it's still a LOT more exciting than boxing.

Tomorrow night on PPV is the reigning champ Randy Couture, a world-class wrestler, vs. Chuck Liddell, a fan favorite kickboxer/knockout king.

I'm excited about the fight and wanted to see if there are any more UFC fans on here and who you're rooting for.

Check out UFC.tv for more info.

Sorry I don't know too much about ultimate fighting is that like the guy I watched fight, I think he was called CroCop. This guy beat the crap out of guys with both feet and hands. That is some serious stuff. Don't want to mess with them.

Mike

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

That's Mirko CroCop. He fights in "K-1", which is basically just kickboxing only it's loosely regulated compared to typical kickboxing. CroCop is a badass, but UFC is a different type of fighting altogether.

UFC is a 50/50 mix of kickboxing and wrestling (not cheesy WWF style, but actual submissions via chokeholds, arm holds, etc). It's basically how people REALLY fight: some people want to stand up and box, some people want to tackle and submit, and some people can do it all. UFC takes every type of fighter and throws them in a ring to see who wins if you put an Olympic class wrestler against a "toe-to-toe" streetfighter... which is basically what tomorrow's fight will be.

Here's a good 90 second video of some of UFC's knockouts:

Cut & Paste into your address bar:

http://www.damageincmxphoto.com/Movieclips/Funny%20Videos-%20UFC_knockouts%20(awesome)%20(1)%20(1).mpg

Couture.......Liddell is one bad dude; but, Couture is ....."The Natural"! Then again, I NEVER thought Ken Shamrock would get taken out in two minutes by the newcomer...even if he is ten years younger! Ken Shamrock was truly the natural...."was" being the operative word.

I really think that his orthopedic problems weren't 'fixed' as much as the commentators thought, because he went down both times while on one leg trying a kick. They way he fell seemed so pathetic. He had a killer leg hold on the guy, and looked as if he would snap the guy's ankle off; but, the 'youngster' took it. Pretty impressive, to say the least (of the 'youngster'. It was hard to see the 'oldtimer' look way, on the ground, not defending himself at the end, in this sport he was essentially 'my guy'.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
:shock::icon52:

Damn...those guys beat the living crappola out of each other!!!

So are you gonna find a sports bar that's showing the fight tomorrow night?!?!

:D

Liddell was a bouncer at one of the bars I used to go to in San Luis Obispo. His girlfriend was THE HOTTEST BARTENDER EVER. I mean... DAMN!!! And she made good drinks too. :)

He always struck me as a prick who walked around with a chip on his shoulder all the time, but then he was the bouncer and he probably wasn't being paid to be nice.

I guess I'd have to root for Couture just because he hasn't looked me in the eye, assessed me as "NOT A RISK" then pushed me aside and ignored the fact that I didn't like him pushing me all in the space of about 3 seconds. :lol: Go Randy!

We don't get much UFC on Dutch television. But The K-1 fights are very popular. I believe that the of the last 10 championships 8 were won by a dutch guy. I think Ernesto Hoost is My alltime favorite. That guy has the best low kick ever. He is also a very smart and friendly guy. I don't know if you get that tv quiz "the weakest link"? He came in second place.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Liddell knocked out Couture in the 1st round.

They went toe to toe for a while, which is unlike Couture, and it was just a matter of time before Liddell stopped being cautious and went into "classic Liddell" mode. He opened up his stance with one foot dropped back to brace himself, and he started throwing repeated left-right-left-right haymakers until he caught Couture on the chin.

Couture dropped like a sack of bricks, and Liddell landed two more rights on Couture's jaw as he was hitting the floor. The ref waved Liddell off and he lit up in a smile and ran around the ring.

It took them a good minute to get Couture up, and even then he was dazed. He said "that's the first time I've been knocked out" with a blank look on his face. They asked him to describe what happened, and he said "I don't know... I'll have to watch the tape".

I was HOPING that Liddell would win because I like his fighting style better than the more wrestling-oriented guys. I sincerely thought Couture would win it with his grappling skills, but he tried to stand up with Liddell and got POPPED.

Wow, very surprising! I thought Couture would have a better showing. I guess that those 'haymakers' are what gets Liddell so much success. Seeing that it was another example of many pay-per-view fights that end very quickly, I'm not terribly disappointed that I didn't spend the $$. Good for Liddell, the new champion, too bad for Couture.

Guess I have alot to learn in following the UFC. Both of 'my guys' (Couture & Shamrock) had very poor showings.....