HybridZ

Suspension for an 82 280zxt

I recently picked up a 280zx turbo. It already has aftermarket tokico struts and some kind of aftermarket springs. I can tell that they lessen the amount of accel squat but only minimally. Does anyone know where I can find some really stiff springs. It must still be somewhat streetable. I occassionally drift this car and the body roll sucks still. I really want to lock this car down. If anyone knows anything I can do to stiffen up in regards to springs drop me a line.

Note: In the summer I will probably purchase some strut tower bars which will eliminate some of the body roll. The more I can eliminate the better. Sway bars are much further down the road.

In a nut shell i need spirngs that will almost eliminate if not eliminate accel squat and also resist body roll. Something similar to 350z stiffness would be ideal if that helps!

Thanks

Guest bastaad525

Not a lot you can do about this, unfortunately. The acceleration sag in the rear is inherent to the design of the 280ZX rear suspension. I imagine you'd have to go REALLY stiff on the rear springs and shocks to really get rid of it? Maybe stiff enough to be a very rough ride or possibly negatively affect handling? I dont know... I tried different combinations of suspension on my '81 ZX, first Suspension Techniques springs and KYB shocks, then Eibach springs and Tokico shocks, the second combo was pretty stiff... but nothing ever got rid of that rear end sag.

You might be able to put some spacers in the suspension to stiffen it up?

Any old C class mercedes front springs in the junkyard. They are the same diameter as the 280zx rear springs, you just need to take out 1 or 2 coils. You will never squat again. I took mine out after 2 days of riding with them. It was too stiff. The zx would bounce on the freeway and leave the ground. Going around a corner normal would even kick out the rear. Im dead serious! :D

I consider myself to have a VERY advanced suspension for a ZX...I built this suspension almost two summers ago and it took over a month before I got it right. Many people have asked me to build a similar kit for their cars but I have yet to duplicate my set-up - maybe this summer (we'll see, time is a problems these days!).

I did a full coilover conversion on my car and I would have to tell you that if you run a VERY stiff spring in the rear and drive your car on the street, then be prepared to have a jarring harsh and somewhat uncomfortable ride.

Maybe the roads where you live are smooth (like glass) so you might be OK if you drive your car on the road regularly. Just a heads up.

Here are some pics of my set-up:

13822312.jpg

13822332.jpg

Yasin

I've got those Mercedes springs. Got them real cheap 1983-88 (or so) 300D or 300 series is what they come off of. Remember, Mercedes FRONT coil springs fit on the REAR of your ZX. The rear Mercedes coil springs are even smaller diameter like a Honda's or something. :D

I've got a 280ZX 2+2.... so maybe the tiny bit longer frame and slightly heavier build will help not make the ride so harsh? ...or maybe not. I'll try them anyway.

If you want to minimize the body roll you need to get the sway bars, they will do much much much more for this than the strut tower bar (no comparison whatsoever). Also the rear strut tower bar will have very little effect on a ZX. The front one does help.

Also I would nor worry to much about the squat, it does not effect handling nearly as much as you would think. DOn't forget to change the control arm BUSHINGS, the car will NEVER handle the way it is supposed to with 20 year old soft bushings.

Changing to stiffer springs than you already have, IMO should be the last thing you try, if the goal is to improve handling in turns. Off course if you had the stock springs they I would recommend changing them first.

I put Eibach spring with tokico struts, st swaybars and poly bushings. my 79 has never handled better when I autocross but on the steet its pritty stiff. alot of it is the 14" wheels but Ive broken two front swaybar brackets. this year Ill have 17s and the 383 so Ill see if it rides better. if you go with the stiff springs invest in some nice cushy seats or be ready for the piledriver!

Thanks guys for the feedback. The roads here in Las Vegas are relatively smooth. To be quite honest I like the jarring ride, makes me feel more in tune for the road, explains why when I was really young I was interested in duallies (more road feel). Does anyone here have Modern Motorsports rear coilover system! How is it? Why don't they make a coilover system for the fronts?(it would only make sense to make a complete kit, not just the rears) I assume they made it just to accomodate for all the accel squat people. Am I right?

The accel sag is quite annoying, and I really do like my car. Of course I am a young gun so the jarring ride is kind of fun, like a go cart. I like the ride of D1 cars, very stiff, (I rode in Tony Schulz's S14 (Team Toyo) when he came to a drifting event here in Vegas a while back) if that means anything) and I loved the way that handled regardless of the jarring ride!

As far as squat goes you could look at what has been done with 510 rear suspension, it is the same sort of semi trailing arm setup and there is quite a bit of info around on various sites. I'm sure that things can be done to improve it without resorting to very hard springs.

Yasin,

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking of some sort of collar that could be clamped to the housing but, I like this idea much better. No worries about crushing the shock body or it slipping.

Do you have a close up pic of the bottm of the assembled shock assembley?

Would be great if you did. No hurry.

I will get more detailed pics of the bottom of the entire rear coilover assembly this weekend for you, as I have to be under the car to fix a small coolant leak.

No worries with crushing the shock whatsoever, I slipped some very strong rubber between the shock body and this metal sleeve that I made and I have inspected it many times and put over a thousand miles on the car since the conversion and everything is fine.

Regards - Yasin