HybridZ

280ZX 5 lug swap - front Z31 calipers?

if your only goal is to upgrade brakes that will work,but the main reason i used the z31 hubs with the forerunner calipers was to update the wheels also,no body is making any good rims for the 240.i got the spacer,between hub and rotor, from ross @modern motorsprts.com. for the rear i got spacers/adapters from ezaccessory.com for 129.00 saving the dismanteling of the stock hub. the rotors are from the z31 all around and in the rear i used the 240zx calipers with the bracket from ross to keep the e brake.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tec280zx, do you have any pictures of the 280ZX with your wheels on?

I got info that the 300ZX strut assembly moves the wheel furward when mounted in the 280ZX. Its hard to tell without a wheel and tire on it, and the car on the ground. Any problems turning?

to me it looks like the same alignment as the 280ZX strut but maybe I wont know untill I get in there and try the swap myself. My 300ZX struts are from an '87. Yours are 84-85.

- - - - - - - -

Ok, I found them on your website...

looks ok to me from this angle.

z31_wheels2.jpg

Hey bleach, I don't have any good side shot pics right now. Unfortunately that pic you posted is before the swap. If the rain lets up today i'll run outside and take some. But you are correct that it does alter the caster. It moves the wheel about an inch forward. Does anyone know if that is negative or positive caster?

Btw, the wheels turn just fine even when fully locked side to side.

• 5 months later...

Hey there David, finished mine about two weeks ago.Let's start with the front:I took the 280zx hub milled the rotor mounting bolt bosses down to 0, but didn't touch the rear snout of the bub since that dia. is the same for the 300 vented 5-lug rotor. I heated the 300 rotor up on a 100watt light buld making the center exspnd and installed the rotor after cooling I drilled and tapped the rotor mounting bolt holes and used the stock bolts 'cause of the shoulder that they have, and this would help hold the rotor steady also. Then I transfered the 5-4.5 lug pattern, tapped 1/2-20 and installed moroso studs.the 280zx-300zx calipers are the same as far as piston dia. goes, but I did use the 300's because I used the 300 caliper brket.I found that I was able to use 1 of the 280zx brkt. mnt. holes at the strut and simply drilled and tapped a new hole at the top bolt, and use the 300 pads.I have seince found out tht the 240-280zx have the sme offset and I'm trying to order a set of alim. hubs. The rear was just as head scathing:I redilled the 300 axles because the the org. holes are 12mm. to big to safly tap 1/2",I found that some 300's have a 1/4" spacer on the flange end of the axle, you need these to be able to install the axle,seems to be a 1/4" diff. between the 300 and 280zx and these take care of that(can't get the copan. flange down tight with-out them).I used 87-turbo vented rear rotor. Had to fab a cal mounting brket to bolt to the controll arm.This brkt. could be welded like the factory,but I change so much so often I chose to drill and tap the dust sheild bolt holes to 7/16" and used #8 hardware to attach them. and used the 300 rear cals.Now I just need to fab up the brkt. for the e-brake. I will get pics. soon waiting on a good deal on a dig. camera.

Glenn, id like to get the 5 lug done on my zx since i have a sweet set of Rota Subzero 17x7.5 waiting to go on. Id also like to change my wheels studs before the v8 install. Also, i read about the z31 to z32 brake mod, and it looks like ill be doing that on the 280zx as well. Pics would be great!

Plans changed for me. So no 5-lug swap.

The main reason I was going for this was for wheel options and I had my eyes on a certain set for a long time. Anyway, I found some used deep dish 4-lug wheels and just bought those.

I guess I'll have some 5-lug parts from a 1987 300ZX to sell then. Rear vented rotors. Thanks for the update Glenn. Maybe one day I will go with 5-lug. Right now I'm finishing up my L28 turbo swap into the 280ZX.

For those following this thread, here is a related topic on drilling the 280ZX hubs.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106046

The S30 5-lug redrilling techniques are the same though.

• 6 months later...

Ok, so later on I changed my mind again and just went with 4 > 5 lug adaptors. They work great so far and I have my 5-lug 18" wheels I wanted. I sold the 16x9 / 16x10 racing wheels.

newwheels01.jpg

newwheels02.jpg

45mm adaptor thickness

wheels are 18x8 +38

tires are 225/40/18

every now and then one of the front tires rubs just a little while turning hard; usually moving slow in a parking lot and hitting a speed bump. The rear has lots of room inside and out. The car is lowered 1.5" front and 1" rear with ST springs.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Bleech, those wheels do look good. Hey david I have swapped all my brakes to 13" rotors and using MM hubs up front and still using the 300 axles out back, and using wilwood calipers all the way around.Let me know if your interested in my z31 stuff.

4 > 5 lug adaptors from Techno Toy Tuning

http://www.technotoytuning.com/products/wheel_adapters.html

the 4 lug are pictured and are vailable in 32mm and thicker. The 4 to 5 are available in 45mm only as they are two piece for strength.

My Z31 stuff is not available. I may end up doing the 5-lug swap anyway even though I already have the adaptors. But now I can take my time and I have the wheels I wanted.