HybridZ

what weight gear oil in R200 diff?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

gonna swap out the oil in the diff for Redline as well, guess I"m gonna go with their Shockproof gear oil, though they have just regular gear oil as well? so not quite sure which to go with but more importantly I have no idea which weight oil to use.

Also, the shop I'm taking the car to (sad I know but I can't do this one at my apartment or I risk getting evicted... I've been warned twice now :-P ) called around a few places and says his sources don't have the diff gasket, that Nissan isnt making them anymore. This is a Nissan only shop by the way. Anyways he says he has this gasket maker (silicone) that is Nissan brand, that they use w/o using paper gaskets at all... so he wants to just use that silicone on mine. Anyone here see any problem with that? Should I spend the time trying to hunt down a gasket myself?

my diff cover is held on with only RTV, been there for over 3 years has yet to leak a single drop, and I am running mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, it's easily aquired over the counter I had run redline prior, and my car currently has the viscous unit if that matters

Use 75w-90 in the diff. RTV is totally fine for a diff cover gasket. I know you aren't doing the install yourself, but I'm going to outline the proper and improper ways of making an RTV seal because I see it done wrong a lot.

The wrong way: Usually involves the person using WAY too much RTV and putting the piece in place while the RTV is totally wet. What ends up happening is the RTV squeezes into the places they don't want to seal (ie: inside the diff) and it makes a hell of a mess.

The right way: All surfaces should be clean and lapped flat if possible. Degrease surfaces. Apply a thin continuous bead to the mating surface. Once this is done let the RTV cure for ~5min so that it skins slightly! Very important step there. This will ensure that it doesn't squeeze all over hells half acre when you reinstall. Then go and reinstall the cover/flange/etc making sure to put the bolts in such a way that the flange/cover doesn't move when it's being tightened, and so that it stays parallel to the mating surface.

When done the right way RTV will be no problem as a sealant in most situations.

Guest 81na ZX

Redline heavyweight shockproof in both my R200 and my Talon's rear diff and transfercase. Never had one problem - other than it smells horriable pouring it in ;)

What do you have in your diff?

Does it have an LSD? If so, what kind? Clutch type or torsion gear?

In my '82, I use Redline 75w90NS in both my T5 and R200 w/ Quaife.

In my '72, I use Redline 75w90NS in the Datsun 4 speed and 75w90 in the R200 w/ PG Power Brute clutch type LSD.

Knowing your application is critical to recommending an appropriate solution.

I just replaced my worn diff with a less worn diff. I opened it up to clean it out and put the rear cover back on with Permatex No. 2 and no gasket. I also used Permatex No. 2 on both sides of all the engine gaskets that seal oil. I love the stuff. It stays gummy and is easy to clean off. Put it on evenly with a finger and let it set for 10-15 minutes and then assemble with low torque. Give it overnight to set up and then torque to spec. It works great even without a gasket. I used off the shelf Penzoil Synthetic gear lube but Redline is great stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002JN1NM/102-8239574-0724125?v=glance

Shockproof is unnecessary in a diff. It was designed for dog box racing transmissions. Regular 75W-90 Redline gear oil is perfect for the diff. I think it already includes the friction modified if you're running a clutch pack LSD.

Guest bastaad525

nope just running a stock 3.54 diff, no LSD or anything fancy like that (wish it was!)

Okay so, don't need the shockproof then, just regular Redline 75w-90 gear oil, and no worries about him using just silicone for a sealer... sweet.

Thanks for the info and for putting me at ease guys :)

Guest whyme

Shockproof is best, For the extra 2 bucks no questions asked. This is Coming from a person who takes teeth of dana 60 richmond ring and pinions :-) . Haven't lost any since I started to use it.

Frank

Guest bastaad525

well I don't think my car has enough power and I certainly don't abuse it as much as I could so I went ahead and just put the regular redline gear lube in there.

I have to say, the car feels a bit livelier with the redline in the diff and trans, for a few extra bucks for the oil I'd say definately a good investment. I know some people might not believe this but I swear the car breaks the tire loose much easier now, and of course shifting has gotten quite a bit smoother (especially downshifting).

So I'm a convert from here on out, nothing but synthetic lube for the entire car from now on!