HybridZ

Nismo 2-way LSD for an R180....

Airjockie

I found one, bought it, and brought it back to America to have some fun with it. My Z is getting set up for drift and autocross. and I was going to build up an R200...but I found the R180 LSD first...so my project is going to be that.

The diff in the Z is the stock R180, open diff, with the stock 260Z R&P...3.39 or something like that. I was told that I would do better at drifting and launch like a rocket if I had a 4.11 diff.......well...the LSD that I bought has the 4.11 ring on it...but no pinion...:x So now I got to track down a 4.11 pinion that will fit the R180...which so far is a hard to find item.

I have a full diff and axles from a 78 280Z, stock...with the R200...that I can use for parts....if I need to use something from there.

If I can't locate the 4.11 pinion in a week or two...then I might just use the stock 3.39 R&P..I'd have no problem with that....and then I'll just swap the LSD in.....

But that brings me to the next problem...

I looked into the LSD, and it is the circlip type for the axle's...so that means...I guess...that I have to do the CV axle swap...correct?

from that point on...I'm lost.....

After searching and reading all the info here on this site...and all the other sites...my mind is just boggled....

So what parts will I diffinately need to do the swap....

From what cars...what years, what trim model...etc..etc....?

I see Maxima mentioned...but which ones....?

I see Maxima mentioned...but which ones....?

I think the R180's with 411's can be found in older 200SX's (S12's)

If you search yahoo for R180s and R200's you'll find more than enough Datsun info with those cars with the right gearing you need.

Good luck with your search, i've done it a couple times.

http://www.geocities.com/inlinestroker/ratio.html

I think the R180's with 411's can be found in older 200SX's (S12's)

If you search yahoo for R180s and R200's you'll find more than enough Datsun info with those cars with the right gearing you need.

Good luck with your search' date=' i've done it a couple times.

http://www.geocities.com/inlinestroker/ratio.html[/quote']

Yes, the S12 200sx Non turbo 4 cyl cars came with the 4.11 R180. I know because I had one and had the diff apart.

I found one' date=' bought it, and brought it back to America to have some fun with it. My Z is getting set up for drift and autocross. and I was going to build up an R200...but I found the R180 LSD first...so my project is going to be that.

The diff in the Z is the stock R180, open diff, with the stock 260Z R&P...3.39 or something like that. I was told that I would do better at drifting and launch like a rocket if I had a 4.11 diff.......well...the LSD that I bought has the 4.11 ring on it...but no pinion...:x So now I got to track down a 4.11 pinion that will fit the R180...which so far is a hard to find item.

I have a full diff and axles from a 78 280Z, stock...with the R200...that I can use for parts....if I need to use something from there.

If I can't locate the 4.11 pinion in a week or two...then I might just use the stock 3.39 R&P..I'd have no problem with that....and then I'll just swap the LSD in.....

But that brings me to the next problem...

I looked into the LSD, and it is the circlip type for the axle's...so that means...I guess...that I have to do the CV axle swap...correct?

from that point on...I'm lost.....

After searching and reading all the info here on this site...and all the other sites...my mind is just boggled....

So what parts will I diffinately need to do the swap....

From what cars...what years, what trim model...etc..etc....?

I see Maxima mentioned...but which ones....?[/quote']

Gears are a matched set. If you can't find THE pinion for that diff, then don't bother looking for another one, because all you'll get is a noisy diff that self destructs quickly.

There are 2 different R180's. The early ones are the early 70's and the later ones are everything from about 75 on. Zcarnut would know. Anyhow the later one has a different sized hole in the middle of the ring gear. I would imagine that your LSD unit for a 200SX would fit the later style.

Front diff from mid 80's Nissan trucks will have 4.11 or 4.38 R180's which I think will fit the LSD you have.

I'm not entirely sure on all this since I haven't been paying too much attention as I run an R200, but I think its worth it to check it out carefully before you start in on this project.

Nissan changed the bolt circle diameter of the R180 ring gear from the 110mm to115mm in August of 1976. Since the LSD differential housing bolts to the ring gear the R180 LSD changed as well. In addition the method of securing the axle shafts into the LSD changed from a bolt to an internal C-clip.

Based on what you said earlier, I would assume that you have the later type of R180 LSD.

This is good because you can use bolt your LSD into any R180 made after 8/76. You are only limited by what ratio you want.

For a list of R180 (and R200) ratios see:

http://www.geocities.com/inlinestroker/ratio.html

However, if you want to do the CV swap then I would locate the R180 CV axles from either a 2+2 automatic 280ZX or a set from the first generation Maxima (1981 to 1985). These will snap into your R180 LSD. I think even the mid ‘80's 200SX used the R180 CV axles also.

You have to use the round, six-bolt CV type companion flange piece on your stub axle as well. (Of course you can only use the 240Z stub axles, but your 260 should already have them.) You can get this from the same 2+2 automatic 280ZX or first generation Maxima. You can even use the R180 differential as well, so you can get everything from a single donor car.

• 1 month later...

sweet......

update:

I happened to get a full 4.11 R180 diff from the mid 80's truck. I already popped out the open diff, and now I got to just swap the ring's so they will be a matched set...then put it back together with the Nissmo 2 way...hehe

now my next problem...I got an event for drifting to go to next Friday....down in MD. And I got this get this together asap. Funds are limited...and still no axles to play with. My buddy said he had some...and when I got there they were just the 280Z axles with the old u-joints..so now I got to go find a JY, or if anyone in the NE has anything...I have a little bit of money...

Okay, I have a new dillema.

I went to pick-a-part and bought a R200 3.9 from a 1984 200SX CA18ET. I did also pull a R200 mustache bar from a 1977 280Z

Questions

1) The original diff came with CV's, what would I have to do to in order to utilize my stock 240Z half shafts. [basically which side flanges do I need to bolt to the R200]. Would I have to use the R200 flanges off of a 280Z or could I use mine that came with the R180?

2) Is the rear cover for the 200SX R200 the same as the rear cover for the 280Z? [Could I use the rear cover or do I have to switch it to something else?]

3) Oh, what Nismo LSD part number would I have to use?

I think that's it. Thanks. Quoc

Sorry...I'm not an R200 guru...So I can't answer your question...

Dang...I'm not even an R180 guru...

I was thinking...there might be a dang good reason for the 280zx stubs that go into the pumpkin...I can only see that the circlip grove might be the only real reason....and I got to thinking some more...

I slid the stubs that bolted into the 4:11 diff..and the spline lined up perfect into the Nismo LSD...except there was no groove on them..for the circlip...and they had a hole for the bolt to go thru to bolt up to the spider gear thingy...

If I pluged that hole with some oil safe epoxy, and machined a groove for the clip to grab onto...then would that work??....and save the pain of looking for the damn axels for a later date? And possibly just use the stock axles that are still decently useable? The splines line up..and feels the same with the other diff and the thickness sticking out appears to be the same...but I haven't done an exact measurement...

I think there are two differnt R200 Nismo LSD's

For the 12mm R200 it should be "38420-RS660"

For the 10mm R200 it should be "38100-RS650"

Now, IF! I do the CV conversion, it should be fairly straight forward. Buy some CV adapters from Modern or whomever, and the correct CV's? Clip the CV into the R200 from the S12 and bolt the other end of the CV to the companion flanges?