HybridZ

Savage adjustable control arms?

02AH0VML0honHvOV3V0K1auNCV3p.jpg

1tc3Mqfgb0gaLW7sqKbBVjaRDFVl.jpg

ad says "See the photos, made to order adjustable control arms for Datsun 510's and 240Z's. May fit others such as 610, 710, 260 and 280Z. Also known as Savage Arms."

I've never heard of savage arms, but the pricing isn't bad... maybe get a cheaper deal for both. Does anyone have experience with these?

Gary doesn't build these. Jerry Claypool does. He's a 510 guy that does this to keep his car fix going. If you go to the 510 photopost site you can see a lot more of his handy work.

Cary

yup. I was just talking to Jerry about all this. He OK'd a group buy, so I'm going to post info in the group buy forum

They sure are pretty pieces, but I'm still not sure I see what the fascination is with being able to adjust the length of my primary front suspension geometry driver and shortening the length of my TC rod. I guess one could make a case for the ease of gaining adjustable camber this way versus camber plates, but potentially having control arms at different lengths I just don't get. Maybe I'm missing something....

it's not a fascionation but a work around if you don't want to cut up your strut towers to weld in camber plates. You also don't want to make your TC rod shorter, actually, you'd probably want it longer to increase caster. Increased caster results in better behavior at high speed turns, while makes steering more difficult at low speeds. ie. better for road courses than autox.

By replacing the TC rod with adjustable piece and custom end link, you also eliminate possibility of snapping the TC rod on lowered vehicles.

that, and they look cool

Yep, Jerry is referring to me. Jerry has been making some different variations on stuff for some time. I've had that type of control arm on my 510 for a decade or so and gave all the info on setup and design on what I've had and he just gave me credit for them. So, it's a team effort, if nothing else. :)

Jerry quoted me 400 + 100 core charge for stock control arms for a set of LCAs and TC rods. He said if I can get 10 people on a group buy, he'll do 10% discount. However, he makes about one set of these a week or so on the side, so it will take a while to fill the orders.

Coincidentally, my tax refund of 418 bucks came in... that exactly covers the item and shipping :)

Jerry uses the best parts and his work is excellent. The cool thing is that you only have to do this once and you end up with fully adjustable front suspension that will allow you to really dial in the way your car handles.

To further clarify on the issue of Jerry & I doing these arms, he had a semi-adjustable version that he was selling and a full tubular version that even replaces the stock ball joint with a rod end, so I built mine (pics in my album), talked to him about them, sent him pics and now we have someone who will offer them to everyone else, as I don't have the time or desire to do that. So, there you go. Great investment for those performance oriented Z enthusiasts! (which is every Hybridz member!) :)

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=1677&cat=548&page=1

I'm definatly in for a full set of T/C 's and adj. LCA's for four bills. I would normally fab this up myself......but no spare time coming down the road for me any time soon.

Aux: if your heading up this GB, please confirm me.

thanks for the efforts.........Vinny 8)

Geez, those units look really nicely done and price looks good too! I'm currently in the process of fabricating my own set-up and I'm about 80% done with the fabrication part. I purchased the required parts from AFCO and THE CHASSIS SHOP and have spent about $250.00 for the rod ends, tube assemblies, and brackets. I'm really looking forward to installing the front set-up. Maybe after its in, I give John C. a call for an appointment to have it properly tweeked.